Sydney, NSW

http://chainsaw.musho.org/stuff/ems-on-mac/

Here ya go, a simple free way to use your EMS 64M Smart Card on your Mac or Linux machine without setting up a virtual machine!.
This method has existed for quite some time, but nobody knows how to compile source, apparently. So I've taken the liberty of writing up a quick tutorial explaining how to set-up and flash your EMS cart on your Mac machine. It's aplha-grade software, but it's basically foolproof.

Enjoy!

Austin, Texas

Whoah.

Whoah.

Hold On.

Whoah.

Austin, Texas

Actually, I'm familiar with this method, and ended up just setting up a virtual machine anyway so that I could use stuff like the Carillon utility and FamiTracker.

This is the best explanation I've ever seen of how to use the command line *NIX flasher, though.

This is worth being stickied or added to some sort of tutorial/basic info thread.

what!? am i the only dick, who was compiling and using it for more than a half a year now?
also, kudos for tutorial. i tough of creating an archlinux package for ems-flasher all this time, but i'm too lazeeeee.

Austin, Texas

Also, unless I'm remembering wrong, the *NIX command line flasher can't write to Page 2 of the 64M carts.

So you might still want a virtual machine in some regards.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 15, 2012 11:14 am)

Sydney, NSW
Telerophon wrote:

Actually, I'm familiar with this method, and ended up just setting up a virtual machine anyway so that I could use stuff like the Carillon utility and FamiTracker.

Fair call! I think this is best for people that needjust the EMS flasher and nothing else.

Telerophon wrote:

This is the best explanation I've ever seen of how to use the command line *NIX flasher, though. This is worth being stickied or added to some sort of tutorial/basic info thread.

Thanks! That's what I was hoping for, I mean. I personally think setting up a VM solely for backup purposes is kinda lame and unnecessary - takes up too much space, slow, virtual driver links can get shoddy at times.

fuxter wrote:

what!? am i the only dick, who was compiling and using it for more than a half a year now?

I've been using it for about that long once my XP machine crapped out.

Sydney, NSW
Telerophon wrote:

unless I'm remembering wrong, the *NIX command line flasher can't write to Page 2 of the 64M carts.

That was an old version. It's been updated now.

Austin, Texas

Yeah, I busted my balls for like three days trying to bootcamp my older macbook without having my original Snow Leopard install CD for the drivers around.

I ended up just using VirtualBox.

After I figured all of that shit out, it works like a charm.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 15, 2012 11:58 am)

UK
fuxter wrote:

also, kudos for tutorial. i tough of creating an archlinux package for ems-flasher all this time, but i'm too lazeeeee.

Nope. I'm also such a phallus.

Chicago

Somebody really needs to develop a GUI. big_smile\
Nice walk through of terminal setup and such!

Ugh, perhaps I'm an idiot (forgive the bump by the way) but I'm encountering the same problem of whenever trying to use the "sudo port install" commands, it spits back at me "sudo: port: command not found"

I don't know shit about shit, what am I doing wrong?

BenCarignan wrote:

Ugh, perhaps I'm an idiot (forgive the bump by the way) but I'm encountering the same problem of whenever trying to use the "sudo port install" commands, it spits back at me "sudo: port: command not found"

I don't know shit about shit, what am I doing wrong?

U need to install MacPorts first: http://www.macports.org/install.php

GoingHam wrote:

Maybe someone could wrap this in an app with Platypus?

http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus

Sydney, NSW
fluxer wrote:
GoingHam wrote:

Maybe someone could wrap this in an app with Platypus?

http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus

Aah, good idea! If I had a Mac machine I'd definitely give this a go. Alas, I'm Mac-less.

At the risk of sounding egotistical, I reckon this should be stickied - most Mac users would be fools not to use this in place of a virtual machine!

Austin, Texas

Whoah. yikes

Edit: I just played with that, and I'm too far out of the loop to get it together.

It looks like platypus just compiles a nice graphical executable from a bundle of scripts. EMSFlasher is written in C, so I'm not finding an easy way to roll it up with Platypus.

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 16, 2012 8:57 am)

New York
Chainsaw Police wrote:

I reckon this should be stickied - most Mac users would be fools not to use this in place of a virtual machine!

as soon as you published this tutorial, i threw out my virtual machine and started using terminal. Soooo much easier and less fucked up now. thanks so much for explaining this stuff cuz when i first got my ems cart, i tried lib_usb and just got overwhelmed. It was mostly the installation process that threw me off.

anyway THANX