NC in the US of America

*I'll just post new tracks here every so often. I've decided to expand "NiteRide" into a full-length project. Until it's done, I'll be posting related and unrelated new tracks here.*

Finally decided to pony up and put up something original to show where I currently stand in LSDJ. This isn't my first evar track (it's around #12 or so, I think), but it is one I think is worth seeing the light.

It even has art big_smile

http://soundcloud.com/sketchman3/nite-ride
I guess you could call this a debut single? I dunno...

Attempting to capture the mystery, danger, excitement, and calm of going really fast on a clear moonlit night.

I like noise kicks, and so decided to try something a little different with this one, and make it a little less crunch, a little more punch.

Well, this is what I do with a Gameboy (emulator for now), LittleSoundDJ, and consumer-level headphones and speakers.

\_('-*)_/

Edit:
Finder's Keep
Be sure to store your treasures in a safe place.

Holmes
Could fit in a futuristic-detective-spy movie, mayhaps?

*Newest*
Whirly Some kind of dancy thing.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 11, 2012 10:06 pm)

NSW, Australia

Hey! A new Sketchman3 single..................Hey! A new Sketchman3 single

I just wish that bass at  0:15 would go faster and be an octave higher.
Other than that it's slamman.

NC in the US of America
The Sky Is Black Not Blue wrote:

Hey! A new Sketchman3 single..................Hey! A new Sketchman3 single

big_smile So what did you think of it?

SirPrize wrote:

I just wish that bass at  0:15 would go faster and be an octave higher.
Other than that it's slamman.

Huh! That's an idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for my future composings. Also, thanks! Glad you think it's slamman.

Paso del Rey, Argentina

I´m listening to it right now, there are some very interesting moments. In some parts, it sounds a little bit confusing to my ears and the introduction riff (which you also use near the end) is a little bit repetitive, but the general impression is positive.

New York

you definitely have some cool stuff going on in there. I really like that repeating riff/melody in there but I agree with wandering genie that it gets a bit repetitive. I'd just make it a 2 or 4 bar phrase as opposed to just one repeating phrase. vary it a little bit with each repetition or something. go up to a higher note, create a persisting melody something like that.

neat noisechannel work, i like those crunchy drums smile

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Parallelis wrote:

you definitely have some cool stuff going on in there. I really like that repeating riff/melody in there but I agree with wandering genie that it gets a bit repetitive. I'd just make it a 2 or 4 bar phrase as opposed to just one repeating phrase. vary it a little bit with each repetition or something. go up to a higher note, create a persisting melody something like that.

Damn it. He typed everything I was going to say. Really liked the percussion. Just when I thought it would get repetitive, you'd throw a variation in.

I'll be back later with more stuff to say.

Tulsa, OK

I like

NC in the US of America

Thanks! big_smile

Auxcide wrote:
Parallelis wrote:

Damn it. He typed everything I was going to say. Really liked the percussion. Just when I thought it would get repetitive, you'd throw a variation in.

I'll be back later with more stuff to say.

Those are some really good ideas, and I'm hearing how that works in some of my favorite tunes, and you're right. If the repeating riff was longer, then it'd work without variation (SPEAK's "Carrie", for example), but since it's so short, it gets old. It'd probably work in LIVE setting where the repetition and layering of the other voices can build tension and hype, and nobody's worried about the composition of the piece, lol.

I'm going to have to go make a version two with a more melodic riff. Thanks for the input. big_smile

I try to sequence my drums from a drummer's reference point. I always try to match my drumming with what the rest of the musicians are playing, while at the same time keeping a "pocket" so it doesn't sound too ADHD.

I love noise percussion. I also love, bass, lead, and rhythm instruments.

.FILTHadelphia

Is that Decktonic on that motorcycle?

NC in the US of America
defiantsystems wrote:

Is that Decktonic on that motorcycle?

It's actually a caricature of me.

Except I wear regular glasses.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 17, 2012 12:30 am)

Boston, MA

Loving the bluesy riff, although I do agree with the folks above me that it could be expanded upon a bit--shouldn't be too hard, if you could make this you can vary that up. I really liked the panning at 1:45, really widened up the track.

SketchMan3 wrote:

Attempting to capture the mystery, danger, excitement, and calm of going really fast on a clear moonlit night.

You definitely did a good job of capturing most of that, but I think the "danger" and "excitement" elements could be brought out more with a change in beat/intensity. Like, around 0:45 or so I was really expecting some form of drop to take us into the meatier, beatier (lawl) part of the song--I think it'd be a great part to introduce that dangerous element you wanted. But then again, that's a matter of opinion--maybe that isn't what you wanted at all, haha.

At the end of the day though, it's a good track! I really, really liked the way you ended it. You should post more!

Last edited by Soleviio (Jul 17, 2012 2:21 am)

NC in the US of America
Soleviio wrote:

Loving the bluesy riff, although I do agree with the folks above me that it could be expanded upon a bit--shouldn't be too hard, if you could make this you can vary that up. I really liked the panning at 1:45, really widened up the track.

SketchMan3 wrote:

You definitely did a good job of capturing most of that, but I think the "danger" and "excitement" elements could be brought out more with a change in beat/intensity. Like, around 0:45 or so I was really expecting some form of drop to take us into the meatier, beatier (lawl) part of the song--I think it'd be a great part to introduce that dangerous element you wanted. But then again, that's a matter of opinion--maybe that isn't what you wanted at all, haha.

At the end of the day though, it's a good track! I really, really liked the way you ended it. You should post more!

Thanks! I'm just now seeing this. Someday I'll do a version two, keeping everyone's suggestions in mind. As far as the danger and excitement is concerned... I'm not really a nightlife kind of guy, so that was plenty dangerous and exciting for me. big_smile I get what you mean, though. That was more in the "calm" section. The hazards came later in the track.

I do have more stuff for CC coming up (not yet ready to properly "release" yet). I figure I'll just post them all in this thread instead of making new threads for each song.

And, on that subject, here's one that I started before Nite Ride (when I first started experimenting with PU kicks), but I only just now finished it. It's relatively nonconfrontational (for the most part) and simple, but it has a chaotic section near the end, in which I learned about P command percussion. Sometimes it's hard holding on to what you have.
http://soundcloud.com/sketchman3/sketch … nders-keep
Make sure you store your treasures in a safe place.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 29, 2012 5:35 am)

NC in the US of America

Something about sneaking around and collecting information:
http://soundcloud.com/sketchman3/sketchman3-holmes

Somebody on another forum said "Finder's Keep" (see previous post) was bland. I hope this one isn't as bland. Hopefully it can keep your attention until the end. I imagined this could be in a spy film or futuristic action detective film or something.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I liked the build up and end of Finder's Keep. It was a nice change.

Holmes was really cool. Enjoyed it a lot. smile

NC in the US of America

IRT Holmes: Thanks! That means a lot to me. IRT F.K:. The build-up and end were composed after the rest of it had been done, so that must mean I'm improving big_smile.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 30, 2012 11:11 pm)