Montclair, NJ

So i got a black gbsmart flash cart with LSDJ already flashed onto the cart, claimed the man behind the blipfest table. I took it home loaded it up. Upon startup, the first thing i see is a screen saying like, "loading data/memory" or something like that. Than it enters a blank song screen. So ill make a song and stuff, than save it, just like normal. But than when i turn it off and turn it on likean hour or so later, all
Memory is wiped.

What should i do??

Austin, Texas

Get a jeweler's screwdriver, open the cart, get an identical lithium battery at your grocery store or pharmacy, and replace the battery in your cart.

Then try to save a song again.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil
A Versus B wrote:

claimed the man behind the blipfest table

I really like THAT MAN.

Indiana

To be fair, those cartridges aren't specific to Kitsch's shop and don't reflect the quality of the products he builds and sells in his shop.  They are EMS carts, and while they have sporadic issues including some bad batteries, they are virtually the only new flash cartridges available right now. Several different people sell them.

Last edited by Fudgers (Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm)

Austin, Texas

Yeah, EMS has a pretty well documented quality control problem, but it's not that common to get a totally bad cart, and kitsch and nonfinite are stand up dudes who will help you out if you actually do get a bad one from either of them.

matt's mind

sounds like a dead battery perhaps.  they're very easy to swap out.

or, the battery has popped loose.  it happens some times, not randomly, but when they're installed i think the people at the plant just don't pay attention and let it snap in.  a few have been like that in the last couple months.  but, thats not a problem, just need to push it in.

if its in, try swapping it out for a new one.  the cart sounds like its working fine apart from the battery being dead/too weak.

i'm also available via email for troubleshooting wink  more quickly than here.

matt's mind
Telerophon wrote:

Yeah, EMS has a pretty well documented quality control problem, but it's not that common to get a totally bad cart, and kitsch and nonfinite are stand up dudes who will help you out if you actually do get a bad one from either of them.

based on the quantity that are out there (just my sales alone, idk about other peoples), they've actually performed better and had the least amount of problems than the other types i've sold.  without question. 

out of, say 100, i'll get *maybe* 2 duds nowadays.  thats sooooo not a big deal with this type of thing.  (they used to be worse, maybe 5-7/100 would be funky somehow.

-two cents-

Austin, Texas

You'd know better than me.

Yeah, even a 5% defect rate is pretty spectacular by all standards.

I dropped out of the scene right when the BleepBloop cart was being developed, and came back after it had all fallen apart and they were off the market, but I understand those were like a 20-25% defect rate?

EMS is pretty alright by me, I have two that are working fine, and I've only ever corrupted them by trying to run the PIXELH8 programs that only run on PROM out of their flash memory.

Complete Tangent: How hard are the repairs required on the dead stock BleepBloop carts you have? I'm curious because I like getting cheap broken stuff and fixing it for fun, but I recall them being non-USB, and I don't have a transferrer…

matt's mind

i sold the last of those earlier today, although my inventory count was off by one...

i'm waiting to hear back if he wants the other as well, he's bought a few (repairing them i guess).  if he doesn't i can get in touch...

it really just depends on which one it is, they're all different...  ranges from replacing an IC to just fixing a lifted pin.

Austin, Texas

That's cool, I'm just interested in that kind of thing.

I should hold off on any kind of purchase like that, though. You know, so I can give you money for DMG parts instead. wink

matt's mind

its gone now anyways wink

Montclair, NJ

Thanks for the help!! Also i dont want it to seem like i was peppering in the fact that it was a kitsch cart just to tarnish their rep or anything lol