Really, if you want to fix this, cry out to your mods. Tell them about the people you don't like, do it via PM, provide them with some information on why and I'm sure if the reason is good enough they will warn whichever user. Or at least I'd like to think they would do that.

I only just recently realised how bad I was on this site and if I was warned by a mod, I would cut it down for sure. Well I am going to anyway.

This is a forum guys, we are supposed to openly be able to oppose each other. You shouldn't cut people out because you disagree with them. Which is what I'm sure a lot of people will now use this script for?

I visit many other forums for many different things, I feel like on other forums I could never post like I do on here. I think a lot of people troll because they know they can get away with it.

Brunswick, GA USA

It has always been possible to block information with scripts. I block ads pretty much everywhere with the consequence that I will never see them, and even without technological aid, we all have the freedom to ignore each other.

What I wonder relates to other communities where I lurk or participate, that there are fragmentations of people who may or may not seem to dominate in various ways, forming insulary cliques, probably accidentally, the result being that nobody wants to talk or try anything new.

Is the future of chipmusic.org to become silent 30-40 year olds who occasionally complain? Is the future of chipmusic in the hands of novices who rarely use hardware and don't know how to work a soldering iron? Do these questions belong in a new thread?

Unsubscribe
chunter wrote:

Is the future of chipmusic in the hands of novices who rarely use hardware and don't know how to work a soldering iron?

Half the respected elders on this thread where annoying noobs on 8bc.org in 2008, so sure.

I think the main problem with this script is that people will now use it for the wrong reasons. ant1 made it because of rightfully obnoxious posts, not because he disagreed with people.

Using a script like this on a forum is like using speedhax during a time attack. It just defeats the purpose of a forum imo.

Last edited by Je Mappelle (Aug 4, 2012 6:44 pm)

Sweden
PolarBirds wrote:

I do realize the difference but I don't really belive in censoreship just because a user happend to post something which did not appeal to you.

How does this have anything to do with censorship? I think you've fundamentally misunderstood the word. If this is censorship, then so is not listening to an idiot.

Forest Maze

for anyone interested in the actual facts about the hedgehog incident,

I derailed one thread with pictures of hedgehogs entitled,

"How to add a drop?"

arguably one of the stupidest questions I've ever read.

that forum can be found here;

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7823/ … dd-a-drop/

any other threads I've posted hedgehogs in can be seen here

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7841/ … sand-dogs/ [I can post what I want in wailord threads]
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7716/ … the-attic/ [This was my own thread]
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7867/ … -use-lsdj/ [posted 1 hedgehog when provoked]
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7872/ … kp-manual/ [dumb question]
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7855/ … -i-needed/ [my own thread, again did not post a hedgehog until provoked]
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7747/frostbyte-codex/ [posted 1 hedgehog]
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7964/ … iven-chip/ [this was lazare's thread]

so in conclusion

› Show Spoiler

Sweden

[posted 1 hedgehog when provoked]

Chicago IL
PolarBirds wrote:

I don't really belive in censoreship just because a user happend to post something which did not appeal to you.

you shouldn't use a loaded word like censorship if you're going to use it incorrectly (or spell it incorrectly). censorship isn't a personal choice, it's made by other people. for example:

keeping a story out of the news: censorship
not watching the news: not censorship

this is a person by person option to opt-out of having to read shitty users' posts in a thread. it isn't keeping people from posting. do you know who else used to use loaded phrases on the internet to blow things out of proportion? HITLER.

Jake Allison wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

introducing CM.O ECHO-CHAMBER v1.0!

Only see opinions that you agree with! Never again be confronted by pesky "new ideas"!

spot on

no it's not.

ant1 wrote:

sorry but a picture of a hedgehog is not a "new idea" in a thread about chipmusic

+

ant1 wrote:

surely you realise the difference between talking to a few friends on skype, and using chipmusic.org exactly as it is now but without hedgehog photographs

it's kind of crazy that it took 2 1/2 years for one annoying as fuck user to drive someone to create this script. and i think it's a much... healthier? option than this:

Je Mappelle wrote:

Really, if you want to fix this, cry out to your mods. Tell them about the people you don't like, do it via PM, provide them with some information on why and I'm sure if the reason is good enough they will warn whichever user.

Because 1) the mods already know. trust me. The mods use this site just like the rest of us, and they get annoyed by annoying as fuck posters just like the rest of us. The users might have already gotten warnings for all we know. But then again, I'm a dick on here (albeit, with a purpose) and no one's warned me.

But really, 2) taking action against a shitty member is much closer to censorship than just ignoring a member. I would love to see some members banned for acting like retards. But in my heart I know that's not right. So I'll be quietly ignoring them using this script instead.

Last edited by Saskrotch (Aug 4, 2012 7:16 pm)

Chicago IL

also why is this extension allowed to access my data on all websites

My Igloo
boomlinde wrote:

How does this have anything to do with censorship? I think you've fundamentally misunderstood the word. If this is censorship, then so is not listening to an idiot.

I understand your argument and I agree that it was a bit missused in the context. My point is still that this might not be the solution to the problem. Then again, if the mods don't bother to warn/punish people that do these things, the script would certainly serve the purpose. I just don't want such a thing to be handled carelessly since I think it could do more harm than actual good... Hard question to answer before it's been put to practice though. Let's just see I guess, no one is forcing me or anyone else to use it... So I'll just be quiet for now...

uhajdafdfdfa
Saskrotch wrote:

also why is this extension allowed to access my data on all websites

this must be something to do with whatever user script engine you are using i guess

in any case it doesn't access any of your data on any websites... have a look at the few lines of code or get a javascript-savvy friend to do it for you if you want reassurance of that

Brunswick, GA USA
herr_prof wrote:

Half the respected elders on this thread where annoying noobs on 8bc.org in 2008, so sure.

Exactly my point. I don't have anything against Nuclace, maybe the requested behavior is to stop bumping bad threads.

Returning to lazerbeat's feature request, what if threads had a checkbox at the top where if you uncheck it won't bump in your "recent" page anymore?

Sweden
Jake Allison wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

introducing CM.O ECHO-CHAMBER v1.0!

Only see opinions that you agree with! Never again be confronted by pesky "new ideas"!

spot on

Well, isn't that more or less the point of every specialized internet forum? If pictures of hedgehogs do not interest you, although everyone else is fine with them, why not sort them out at your own end?

EDIT: oops dat was on the 1st page.

Last edited by boomlinde (Aug 4, 2012 8:17 pm)

Is it just me that finds it hilarious that this is currently right under the chipmusic love thread

Savannah, Georgia
Frostbyte wrote:

Is it just me that finds it hilarious that this is currently right under the chipmusic love thread

good one frosty

Last edited by Aeros (Aug 4, 2012 8:36 pm)

I'd say look now, but then it would again be incorrect. Let's just say that they're both hot topics at the same time.