babylon

underclocked gameboys are fun as fuck but dont expect too much of a lower sound. you can really only get a few notes lower before you hit fart bass territory. not too mention if you make 1x shit how much time goes into figuring out how to make all your instuments with different parameters. youve been given the correct answer with the volume suggestions. with any bass music i write my pulse instruments envelopes are usually in 1-4 range.

Forest Maze
danimal cannon wrote:

I guess my argument is that going lower wont improve your bass sound, but optimizing your composition to enhance your bass sound works extremely well

Words of wisdom.

Last edited by NUCLACE (Aug 9, 2012 7:24 pm)

NC in the US of America
4mat wrote:

it sounded better with the resonance coming out of the case speaker but then that doesn't really help you.

Anyone ever tried throwing a soundboard transducer pickup on a DMG?

Detroit, Michigan
SketchMan3 wrote:
4mat wrote:

it sounded better with the resonance coming out of the case speaker but then that doesn't really help you.

OMG just mic the speaker lol

IL, US

or you can be weird and run your game boy through a boss oc-2, oc-3, or any similar guitar octave pedal... if you do this may be best to run it through your aux sends, so you can easily adjust the mix with the original clean signal..i use an oc-2 on my tr-626 to make my drums sound thicker

Austin, Texas

Roboctopus is a genius.

.FILTHadelphia
snesei wrote:

double up ur bass lines with a pulse channel (harmonize with a 50% pulse). If ur doing pulse kicks try doing wav kicks. Just trial and error

I've been getting some nice low bass sounds doing this. WAV kicks all day, PU kicks don't have nearly as much punch.

Lexington, KY
walter b. gentle wrote:

you can really only get a few notes lower before you hit fart bass territory.

Honestly, I WOULD like to be able to get there, if id like. Also, one of the issues I've been having with just plain mixing is I've been adjusting my bass AND my kicks when I adjust my low-mid dial. Perhaps mixing the volume more accurately could assist in frequency separation???

Ive actually been using stock DMGs lately, no prosound, and getting ridiculous loud low and full bass. Like danimal said, the sine at x2 octave is about as low as you get and on a good system that is super low. The simpler the waveform the stronger the perceived bass, too

Other things you can do is making your "volume" levels for your WAV instruments seem lower (frostbyte know more about this than  do).

Also - you might want to look at adding some sort of tubes for extra warmth or adding some different capacitors.

NC in the US of America
snesei wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

OMG just mic the speaker lol

But a transducer would be so much more convenient in terms of placement and freedom of movement and louder volume, and you could add some extra percussion to your song by tapping on the gameboy's case big_smile

I'm definitely trying this the next time I replace my broken acoustic pickup.

I might end up keeping my DMG stock if it produces stronger bass, at least for awhile. First have to get the speaker/volume problems sorted out (With headphones, the right channel doesn't ouput unless the volume is turned almost all the way up. Without headphones, the speaker output is very low, and, even at lowest volume, still outputs sound).

Portland, Oregon
thebitman wrote:

Other things you can do is making your "volume" levels for your WAV instruments seem lower (frostbyte know more about this than  do).

Also - you might want to look at adding some sort of tubes for extra warmth or adding some different capacitors.

How would I add tubes to the DMG?? Or do you meant he amp.... I'm very interested.

Gosford, Australia

make a massive replica dmg with valves

also pulse kicks are cool and can be plenty bassy, don't be hatin'

squidtantrum wrote:
thebitman wrote:

How would I add tubes to the DMG?? Or do you meant he amp.... I'm very interested.

I am not sure how or where they are installed, but I know that one user who may or may not have posted in this thread has some installed in their DMG wink

matt's mind

someone installed tubes in their gameboy?

i'm so very curious about this.

Like, tubes to the speaker?