Melbourne, Australia

Hey guys, so i'm bouncing around some ideas for my business assignment in my music degree.
Atm it's just research to see if it's do-able/worth doing.

Who'd think they'd use a sibelius-type program for the Gameboy? Is there already one about?
Would it even be possible to compose live using notes on a stave?

Without giving away too much, I've got an idea of an easy-to-use interface, but the teacher wants me to cover what interest there actually is.

Anyone got things they wish LSDJ or Nanoloop had?

BOSTON

any new gameboy music tech is very welcome! and something that is more accessible to people unfamiliar with trackers, such as what you describe, would certainly be quite popular with teh n00bs

Gosford, Australia

I'll use it!

Something I wish LSDJ had: Instruments that you can transpose but don't change pitch. Designated "drum" sounds, basically.
If you're doing it manuscript/piano roll style then an option ghost notes would be cool, too (i.e. you can see the notes of other channels underneath the ones from the channel you're editing).

Savannah, Georgia
Victory Road wrote:

Something I wish LSDJ had: Instruments that you can transpose but don't change pitch.

wait, what

Gosford, Australia
Aeros wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

Something I wish LSDJ had: Instruments that you can transpose but don't change pitch.

wait, what

Okay, so imagine you're tracking the kick and bass on your wave channel right? And then you transpose the phrase so that the bass note changes - but now the kick sound changes too and it doesn't sound the way you wanted it to... right? That's what I'd like this for.

Last edited by Victory Road (Aug 10, 2012 6:09 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Victory Road wrote:

Okay, so imagine you're tracking the kick and bass on your wave channel right? And then you transpose the phrase so that the bass note changes - but now the kick sound changes too and it doesn't sound the way you wanted it to... right? That's what I'd like this for.

Ugh. I hate that. Be nice to be able to bypass that.

clovis CA

^

Savannah, Georgia

god yes, being able to make an instrument not affected by pattern transpositions would be great. also a complete EQ system for WAV channel instruments would be boss.

Gosford, Australia

hmm, yeah. only so much you can do with 4 bit wavetables though sad triangle waveform instead of sine would be nice, too!

can't really think of anything else that would be specifically great on a manuscript-style gb sequencer though

eh what, you can't make instruments with fixed pitches in LSDJ? (so the bassdrum is a list of pitches in the instrument table and the bass is the last free note that can be transposed)  wow, that's been a fixture of most trackers since the mid-'80s, why doesn't it support that?

Gosford, Australia

something about the gameboy chip maybe? hopefully not! pretty sure the P command is a hardware sweep too, not sure if that complicates things or not though.

Riverside, CA

Wait so like... you input notes on staves in the Game Boy and it plays back what you wrote?
Could be cool. I'm interested.

uhajdafdfdfa
4mat wrote:

eh what, you can't make instruments with fixed pitches in LSDJ? (so the bassdrum is a list of pitches in the instrument table and the bass is the last free note that can be transposed)  wow, that's been a fixture of most trackers since the mid-'80s, why doesn't it support that?

well the tables doesn't work like c64 i think

it is literally just pattern effects in a table smile and there is no Set Pitch pattern effect i believe

edit: sorry to derail your thread. i have a relevant question now!

will this software run on the GB or on the PC?

Last edited by ant1 (Aug 10, 2012 10:38 am)

Paso del Rey, Argentina
Flat_Mango wrote:

Who'd think they'd use a sibelius-type program for the Gameboy?

I certainly think it is a great idea. I am far more comfortable writing music in the traditional way than tracking. It will be helpful for musicians that work in other genres to get involved in chiptunes, as they will face a more familiar environment to work (as would be my case). Also, could be an inspiration for chiptuners that does not read or write music, to learn to do it.
It would be great to use it for composing original pieces.
A secondary use could be use it as a musical sketch portable tool.

matt's mind

i also like this idea, it'd be a really great instrument for people to play, or even the limited use as a way to jot down song ideas is really worth the effort to develop this. 

can easily see this being everyone's resource in some way, and many people's primary instrument if there is enough control built in.

A gray world of dread

Hm, I'm not a gameboy user, but this is interesting. My tracks come out very differently when I work in staff.

I'm also curious about how you plan to utilize the limited controls of the GB. Pointers and d-pads are a pain. sad