IL, US

i dont think they leave them raw because they are trendy, i think they leave them raw because they aren;t really very good producers.. i'll give the engineers credit though, that absolute bullshit music sounds as nice as it possibly could

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
e.s.c. wrote:

i dont think they leave them raw because they are trendy, i think they leave them raw because they aren;t really very good producers.. i'll give the engineers credit though, that absolute bullshit music sounds as nice as it possibly could

I loved everything about this comment. That is all.

California
Nadia wrote:

Would such dilution ruin the genre? Or would you welcome the influx of new content?

If chiptune were to burst forth onto the mainstream I think it would ruin a lot of things. For one, hardware would become more expensive and harder to find. Then, if everyone and their mom is pulling from the same limited sound palettes, at some point all the songs are going to start sounding the same. Yes, some amazing things would happen, but then there'd also be a lot more crap to sift through to find the good stuff.

VCMG wrote:

If chiptune were to burst forth onto the mainstream I think it would ruin a lot of things. For one, hardware would become more expensive and harder to find.

I think that'd be a problem for like, a month because all the kids who decide they'd wanna make it would buy the hardware, realize they actually have to work to make music on it, not be able to figure it out, then sell it right back to those of us who know how to do it.

Or they'd buy FL and use 3xOSC to make cool basic waves.

Chicago IL, USA
Frostbyte wrote:

Or they'd buy FL and use 3xOSC to make cool basic waves.

I think they'd at least take the extra half step to download toad and peach.

edit so i dont have to double post: but yeah if chip were "mainstream" obviously a bunch of douchy kids would kind of ruin it, they're already moving in through dubstep now that so many producers are like "LOL this sounds like a videogame because it's a square wave! so much GRIME!!!!" but I think even if there was a big chip explosion it would be completely separate from the current chip scene. It would probably piss lots of us off that everyone would be like "oh fuck this new Skrillex joint is dope! he used the mario coin sound effect! LOL nostalgia to the max!" and never listen to any real chip, but at the same time it will be preserving the integrity of real stuff. On a plus side, if real chip got popular, we would be rolling in the dough, and bitches, and liquor, and weed, and all drive fast sports cars..... man i hope chipmusic sells out.

edit #2: Saskrotch I'm gonna add you on facebook, even though your mean comments sometimes make me anxious, but you are from my home state and I love your music. Please don't make me cry and cut myself to sleep.

Last edited by SadPanda (Aug 13, 2012 4:44 am)

BOSTON

as part of one of the few "pop oriented" chip acts, i figured I'd chime in and give my 2 cents.

from my experience hanging out / working with legit producers, you would be surprised (or maybe not) at how a) knowledgeable and b) lazy they are. you can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that most of them know about chiptune and probably at least have played with plogue if they dont actual own physical instruments that would be passable as "chip music" in either module form or, like, classic FM keyboards or whatever. I can't stress enough that these. guys. know. their. shit.

However, much like you they are at heart lazy-ass musicians and especially if they are working with talent that they only see as a paycheck they will opt for whatever sounds okay for the quickest, easiest route. They mostly dont care about pushing a musical agenda like we do (considering we are reading this on chipmusic.org) and are not "artists" really, more like craftsmen of music. They will co-opt whatever style seems "cool" at the moment, but usually only in the most shallow, path-of-least-resistance topical manner possible. You likely wont see them learning various tracker languages to make something authentic, they will simply get a sample pack and do it in ableton or logic or whatever, as they do, for a track or two then move on to Trap or Seapunk or whatever buzzword nonsense gets the checkbooks of behind-the-curve label stooges hot and wet.

They know their shit, they are not stupid, they certainly have talent and skill, but for the most part they have no spine or artistic integrity to speak of.

The Bronx
VCMG wrote:
Nadia wrote:

Would such dilution ruin the genre? Or would you welcome the influx of new content?

If chiptune were to burst forth onto the mainstream I think it would ruin a lot of things. For one, hardware would become more expensive and harder to find. Then, if everyone and their mom is pulling from the same limited sound palettes, at some point all the songs are going to start sounding the same. Yes, some amazing things would happen, but then there'd also be a lot more crap to sift through to find the good stuff.

That's always the easy answer; the one that throws an impenetrable bunker around the idea of a fringe scene moving closer to popularity and, by proxy, turning to shit. Sure, there are plenty of reasons to worry about an insincere A&R man storming into a scene like a heartless golem to suck the life from its source, but if a scene is strong, it'll never truly die. Besides, it's not like chip music is very new. Producers and musicians have had plenty of time to scour waves of popularity to incorporate and/or outright steal bits for personal gain and chip music has been out in the open for nearly 20 years. We're not the only ones on the internet, you know. I feel like this "OMG! THEY'RE COMING TO GET US" hyperbole is largely borne from green artists looking for solidarity in paranoia. It's only natural; I remember thinking the same way back in the 20th century with the release of Micromusic's first chip music compilation in 2000 featuring plenty of friends and myself.

I always mention jazz when chip musicians feign artistic bullying and pending theft en masse - not as an analogy to genre, but of intent. What if Monk, Alice and John Coltrane, Miles, Jelly Roll Morton and every other master had stayed in their homes, apartments and basements to play music for their friends, family, a limited group of people and no one else? We'd arguably be without electronic music, hip-hop, soul and, most importantly, people like our parents, their parents and colleagues of the musicians themselves who fell in love with jazz because they were given the gift of shared fandom. Without that, Nina Simone might've ended up a seamstress. Mingus might have ended up a butcher. Bill Evans might have taught chemistry to kids with buzz cuts. Sure, all of those professions are respectable and good, but I'm a bit selfish and want to be able to hum Clifford Brown & Max Roach tunes while working.

All I'm saying is that sincerity and genuineness will always outlive any disruption to the essence of any art form; and without a bit of trauma blown to the musicians and the music, it will suffer in spite of a tight adherence to technique. So make noise and use it to keep the Boogeyman away. We'll be alright!

IL, US

that micromusic comp was one of the first chip releases i bought (and the first one i bought thinking of it as a chip release, id bought some patric c stuff already and some other amiga stuff)

The Bronx

I also think that it's really silly and straight-up reactionary for people here to be alarmists meanwhile the scene covers plenty of popular artists' music. A Beastie Boys tribute compilation thread surfaced within minutes of the announcement of MCA's death and dozens lined up to be a part of it. That's really cool, but if you guys were really worried about being crushed by the Unquestionably Destructive Power of Pop™, then why is there be such an impetus to reach out to the industry? Truly you don't think that chip music versions of pop music end up any less pop, do you? Have covers of pop tunes by chip musicians become a version of Stockholm syndrome [no pun intended <):'p]? The whole thing is really bugged out and full of holes. I just want to hear cool shit from cool people.

NC in the US of America
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

as part of one of the few "pop oriented" chip acts, i figured I'd chime in and give my 2 cents.

from my experience hanging out / working with legit producers, you would be surprised (or maybe not) at how a) knowledgeable and b) lazy they are. you can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that most of them know about chiptune and probably at least have played with plogue if they dont actual own physical instruments that would be passable as "chip music" in either module form or, like, classic FM keyboards or whatever. I can't stress enough that these. guys. know. their. shit.

However, much like you they are at heart lazy-ass musicians and especially if they are working with talent that they only see as a paycheck they will opt for whatever sounds okay for the quickest, easiest route. They mostly dont care about pushing a musical agenda like we do (considering we are reading this on chipmusic.org) and are not "artists" really, more like craftsmen of music. They will co-opt whatever style seems "cool" at the moment, but usually only in the most shallow, path-of-least-resistance topical manner possible. You likely wont see them learning various tracker languages to make something authentic, they will simply get a sample pack and do it in ableton or logic or whatever, as they do, for a track or two then move on to Trap or Seapunk or whatever buzzword nonsense gets the checkbooks of behind-the-curve label stooges hot and wet.

They know their shit, they are not stupid, they certainly have talent and skill, but for the most part they have no spine or artistic integrity to speak of.

It's nice to hear from someone with a foot in the door of the "other" scene. Kind of confirms my suspicions about how that stuff is crafted. I know they know something. It'd be silly and unrealistic to think that they wouldn't. I don't know about the "music craftsmen(that makes it almost sound noble)", but somebody in the industry is pushing an agenda.

sincerity and genuineness will always outlive any disruption to the essence of any art form

That's a good way to put it.

SMELLBOURNE BOSSTRALIA

Chip sounds have been in the mainstream for years now, with acts like Crystal Castles going off.

I seriously doubt we'll be seeing arps and noise kicks and shit being used by lady gaga or katy perry, however.

Chicago IL, USA
minusbaby wrote:

I also think that it's really silly and straight-up reactionary for people here to be alarmists meanwhile the scene covers plenty of popular artists' music. A Beastie Boys tribute compilation thread surfaced within minutes of the announcement of MCA's death and dozens lined up to be a part of it.

I have been thinking this way too, there are people mad because dubstep got mainstream, but there's chipstep. there have been people who were mad when hardcore/metal got ruined by scene kids, and there's "nintendocore". If anything we are the ones invading popular music. We should roll with it and make the mainstream our bitch.

Also for the record, the real beastie boys tribute I've been getting together was pitched a few weeks after he died, but there was a "MCA is dead" thread before then.

Also also for the record, I can really see Katy Perry or Gaga doing a chip song because of what Bright Primate is doing. What a trendsetter/boss.

Seattle, WA US
Nadia wrote:

I didn't mean any disrespect to either artist, in fact I own 22.5 hours of Britney Spears music. She's everything.

BRITNEY IS THAT YOU???

Seattle, WA US
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

then move on to Trap or Seapunk or whatever buzzword nonsense gets the checkbooks of behind-the-curve label stooges hot and wet.

Dude, I want to show this to all of my producer friends/roommates.. I actually wonder if they can even realize it themselves sometimes

Sweden

As far as I'm concerned, there is already a big bunch of awful chip artists I would never listen to, but so far it hasn't ruined anything for me. Why would it? If you insist there's any ruinin' going on, it's definitely already happened, though.

The Bronx
SadPanda wrote:

Also for the record, the real beastie boys tribute I've been getting together was pitched a few weeks after he died, but there was a "MCA is dead" thread before then.

Sorry, my mistake.