sweden
ant1 wrote:

neither of the songs you posted sounded like chipmusic really
they just sounded Crap (i can see how you got it confused with chipmusic)

as for CHIP GOING MAINSTREAM i suppose punk fans complained a bit when green day and blink 182 came a long but they survived didn't they

But both Green Day and Blink 182 came from the scene.

NC in the US of America
r4c7 wrote:

I honestly think this won't happen for a while. Right now, pop is craving off of electro house (If you listen to some pop from just a couple years a go, you can hear a big transition). Considering Deadmau5 is considered underground to many people around my area, I doubt chiptune would spring up as a new trend. If it does, though, there is no way it will actually sound like chipmusic, it will be warped to hell probably mixed with dubstep and electro house.

As opposed to dubstep and electro house being warped into sounding like chipmusic.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
minusbaby wrote:

I feel like this "OMG! THEY'RE COMING TO GET US" hyperbole is largely borne from green artists looking for solidarity in paranoia.

Agreed. By new, do you mean chip artists that started in the 21st century? Because that seems to be the case in almost every thread this discussion has come up in. Most of the responses from people in that group are just fear-mongering and paranoia. Also just blatant denial.

Take for instance the "we'll have to sift through a lot of terrible shit to find the good stuff" argument. I'm sorry, have you looked outside of the chiptune scene (which also suffers from the following) lately? The amount of garbage music you have to sift through to find the absolutely immense amount of good music out there is unreal. Every tween with a DAW is throwing up shitty tracks soundcloud and bandcamp (e.g. bronies). There's nothing wrong with that, because they're learning (or maybe they're just subjectively and/or objectively terrible). My point is that this scene is already like that. There are a lot of chip artists out there who I find terrible. Maybe they're learning, maybe they just don't have talent, I don't know. The point still stands: You already have to wade through a lot of shit to find things that suit your taste. How would more—potentially better—artists joining the scene harm it? You'd have to sort through a proportionally equal amount of artists that don't suit your tastes to find ones that do.

And, note, that I'm emphasizing "your" and "my tastes" for a reason: a lot of this paranoia stems from the fact that pop music, dubstep, shitty electro, etc., etc. aren't what you're looking for in music. Great, don't shit on other people's parade just because you think you're all high and mighty and that pop is below you just because you're making some niche music with kitsch appeal. As minusbaby put it:

minusbaby wrote:

Truly you don't think that chip music versions of pop music end up any less pop, do you? Have covers of pop tunes by chip musicians become a version of Stockholm syndrome [no pun intended <):'p]?

I dont' see a reason to think that the music you're making is any better than the music that makes thousands (maybe millions) more than you're making. Clearly they're doing something right, regardless of how artistically lazy they are. Why do you think you crack the cheesiest fucking smile when James plays "Sexy and I Know It" or when someone throws "I Just Had Sex" on the party playlist? Because it's fucking catchy and you know you like it you sneaky motherfuckers, you. You're allowed to dislike things. You're allowed to present your distaste in a logical fashion. What I don't think you should be doing is becoming a jaded cynical asshat who like to piss all over whatever you even mildly dilslike, because that's a lot of what's going on in here. As the [insert dicksucking here] minusbaby [cock-in-mouth] stated:

minusbaby wrote:

The whole thing is really bugged out and full of holes. I just want to hear cool shit from cool people.

Utah
Russellian wrote:
minusbaby wrote:

I feel like this "OMG! THEY'RE COMING TO GET US" hyperbole is largely borne from green artists looking for solidarity in paranoia.

Agreed. By new, do you mean chip artists that started in the 21st century? Because that seems to be the case in almost every thread this discussion has come up in. Most of the responses from people in that group are just fear-mongering and paranoia. Also just blatant denial.

Take for instance the "we'll have to sift through a lot of terrible shit to find the good stuff" argument. I'm sorry, have you looked outside of the chiptune scene (which also suffers from the following) lately? The amount of garbage music you have to sift through to find the absolutely immense amount of good music out there is unreal. Every tween with a DAW is throwing up shitty tracks soundcloud and bandcamp (e.g. bronies). There's nothing wrong with that, because they're learning (or maybe they're just subjectively and/or objectively terrible). My point is that this scene is already like that. There are a lot of chip artists out there who I find terrible. Maybe they're learning, maybe they just don't have talent, I don't know. The point still stands: You already have to wade through a lot of shit to find things that suit your taste. How would more—potentially better—artists joining the scene harm it? You'd have to sort through a proportionally equal amount of artists that don't suit your tastes to find ones that do.

And, note, that I'm emphasizing "your" and "my tastes" for a reason: a lot of this paranoia stems from the fact that pop music, dubstep, shitty electro, etc., etc. aren't what you're looking for in music. Great, don't shit on other people's parade just because you think you're all high and mighty and that pop is below you just because you're making some niche music with kitsch appeal. As minusbaby put it:

minusbaby wrote:

Truly you don't think that chip music versions of pop music end up any less pop, do you? Have covers of pop tunes by chip musicians become a version of Stockholm syndrome [no pun intended <):'p]?

I dont' see a reason to think that the music you're making is any better than the music that makes thousands (maybe millions) more than you're making. Clearly they're doing something right, regardless of how artistically lazy they are. Why do you think you crack the cheesiest fucking smile when James plays "Sexy and I Know It" or when someone throws "I Just Had Sex" on the party playlist? Because it's fucking catchy and you know you like it you sneaky motherfuckers, you. You're allowed to dislike things. You're allowed to present your distaste in a logical fashion. What I don't think you should be doing is becoming a jaded cynical asshat who like to piss all over whatever you even mildly dilslike, because that's a lot of what's going on in here. As the [insert dicksucking here] minusbaby [cock-in-mouth] stated:

minusbaby wrote:

The whole thing is really bugged out and full of holes. I just want to hear cool shit from cool people.

^ Words of truth.

As an artist, I want to keep my integrity (not sell out) and progressively make music that is increasingly rich and sophisticated. However, as a performer, I love to play live gigs and see other people enjoy my music. So, I've found myself making two types of music. Type 1) Sophisticated music that appeals to me and helps me to become a better artist.  Type 2) Music that is a lot simpler and catchier. And honestly, it is the latter that gets me the most shows and is more likely to lead to something bigger (and I wouldn't mind playing more gigs and getting paid more). Now, I still try to make Type 2 as musically rich as possible, but there are definite differences between the two types in the chord patterns and lyrics.

Yet, even though the simpler, catchier songs are the ones that the common man gravitates towards, people often want to hear more afterwards. These songs work to introduce people to a different type of music, after which they start to appreciate the more complex, esoteric music. And I'm in the camp that supports having more people listening.

buffalo, NY

I'm a prog musician who tries to write pop songs

uhajdafdfdfa
nordloef wrote:
ant1 wrote:

neither of the songs you posted sounded like chipmusic really
they just sounded Crap (i can see how you got it confused with chipmusic)

as for CHIP GOING MAINSTREAM i suppose punk fans complained a bit when green day and blink 182 came a long but they survived didn't they

But both Green Day and Blink 182 came from the scene.

ah i dont know much about green day or blink 182 they were just my examples of mainstream punk bands

what if someone FROM the scene takes chiptune to the mainstream (superpowerless i choose you) ??! that will be just like blink 182

Joliette, QC, Canada

FUCK YOU TIMBALAND !

Well I'm glad I was able to get a discussion going.

I also didn't know that those songs weren't at all chiptune. But y'all would know better than me, I don't make chipmusic. It just sounds very similar to the chipmusic in my library and it's definitely the most chippy sound both Madonna or Britney have ever recorded, and way more chip-sounding than 99.9% of big pop today.

HANDGUN FANTASY wrote:

Chip sounds have been in the mainstream for years now, with acts like Crystal Castles going off.

I seriously doubt we'll be seeing arps and noise kicks and shit being used by lady gaga or katy perry, however.

That's what I mean, Crystal Castles are, compared to the Madonnas and Britneys of the industry, nobodies. Their use of chip sounds isn't going to influence the pop music industry.

boaconstructor wrote:
Nadia wrote:

I didn't mean any disrespect to either artist, in fact I own 22.5 hours of Britney Spears music. She's everything.

BRITNEY IS THAT YOU???

Haha, Britney's fans care more about her career than she does, since 2007. She definitely wouldn't own an entire days worth of her own music.

minusbaby wrote:

I just want to hear cool shit from cool people.

Russellian wrote:

I dont' see a reason to think that the music you're making is any better than the music that makes thousands (maybe millions) more than you're making. Clearly they're doing something right, regardless of how artistically lazy they are.

Yes! Well put.

Chicago IL
Nadia wrote:
Russellian wrote:

I dont' see a reason to think that the music you're making is any better than the music that makes thousands (maybe millions) more than you're making. Clearly they're doing something right, regardless of how artistically lazy they are.

Yes! Well put.

But the majority of people are stupid, and it takes a majority of people to like something for it to become popular.

Math proves pop music is stupid.

Brunswick, GA USA
Nadia wrote:

Well I'm glad I was able to get a discussion going.

I also didn't know that those songs weren't at all chiptune. But y'all would know better than me, I don't make chipmusic. It just sounds very similar to the chipmusic in my library and it's definitely the most chippy sound both Madonna or Britney have ever recorded, and way more chip-sounding than 99.9% of big pop today.

If you don't mind, how did you learn about us, both the chipmusic.org board and the style of music making?

Detroit, Michigan
Saskrotch wrote:
Nadia wrote:

Yes! Well put.

But the majority of people are stupid, and it takes a majority of people to like something for it to become popular.

Math proves pop music is stupid.

Pop music is people just following what the new fad is (for example dubstep) I agree that there is less effort put into pop music just for stupid people who listen to only the radio all the time listening to the same 30 tracks every hour to pay for their track on itunes. They have managers gauging whats popular and whats "in" so they can pay producers to make the phat beats. I think the reason we think the music we make is better is because we are actually doing everything for ourselves (producing, recording, editing) and that alone makes us feel more accomplished than a pop artist.

chunter wrote:

If you don't mind, how did you learn about us, both the chipmusic.org board and the style of music making?

A few months ago some friends & I were talking about 8-bit music and I decided to look more into it because I really liked how it sounded. I found lots of sites about it, learned more and downloaded a lot of chipmusic. I found this site on one of my later searches.

NC in the US of America

I sometimes wish we could go back to the days when "pop music" was comprised of the likes of Miles Davis Jr. and Sam Cooke.

Brazil

Great posts. This is a nice discussion.

(No I had nothing to say)

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm)

The Bronx
SketchMan3 wrote:

I sometimes wish we could go back to the days when "pop music" was comprised of the likes of Miles Davis Jr. and Sam Cooke.

On which planet did Miles make the pop charts? "Kind of Blue" is only 4x platinum.

NC in the US of America
minusbaby wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

On which planet did Miles make the pop charts? "Kind of Blue" is only 4x platinum.

Okay, Sam Cooke then. My bayad.