spacetownsavior wrote:
an0va wrote:

I think a healthy level of selfawareness needs to be practiced when you're taking this stuff to the public. I think within chip (or actually, electronic music overall) it's harder to justify this approach because of the fact that most of the audience doesn't know what you're doing.

Completely agreed. I'm definitely not advocating a crazy, flailing performance. Jumping around and stuff like that almost invites the "all you're doing is hitting buttons" accusation, actually. The thing with public contexts is that you kind of have to be aware of the fact that your presence is either ignored or even unwanted for a lot of people. This means you have to respect the context -- you're ALREADY playing really loud music, jumping around and generally being a jerk isn't going to help any. If, however, you invite the inquisitive people in by letting the music itself do the talking, THEN you can justify why your performance is cool by telling them the deets on chiptune and stuff.

This is basically what I meant. I mean, I don't wanna say busking is stupid. My "but why" comment was in regards to going balls to the wall when it's like nobody around cares.

I guess I'm just more of a timid person when I perform. I mean, I would just feel odd dancing like crazy unless there's enough social energy to really justify it. Call me a social leech if you want, but that's just how I feel comfortable with those things. I'm not the first one to dance, ever. Not at an indie gig or a party or anything.

Speaking of ATDI, would just like to say I want them to make a new record with Cedric.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Ah. I assumed you and Aeros were talking about busking in general.

Savannah, Georgia
Frostbyte wrote:

This is basically what I meant. I mean, I don't wanna say busking is stupid. My "but why" comment was in regards to going balls to the wall when it's like nobody around cares.

I guess I'm just more of a timid person when I perform. I mean, I would just feel odd dancing like crazy unless there's enough social energy to really justify it. Call me a social leech if you want, but that's just how I feel comfortable with those things. I'm not the first one to dance, ever. Not at an indie gig or a party or anything.

are you me

8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Ah. I assumed you and Aeros were talking about busking in general.

Oh oh. Nope, I think it's cool if it's received well I guess! I don't think I'd be able to do it, personally just because of the social anxiety involved in it. Maybe I could do it with a guitar, but that's overdone.

And aeros, I was here first wink

washington
Aeros wrote:
Frostbyte wrote:

are you me

I've never played a chipshow. I've only played guitar in bands that would be weird to dance to. I don't dance when I play. I don't know if I move or do anything weird or anything, I'm too focused on playing. I don't know, it's probably way different with chipmusic. I'm kind of a timid/self conscious person, I just assume that nobody wants to hear my music. If I make shitty music, and I'm acting like an obnoxious jackass on a sidewalk, why am I even there? To annoy people? Dancing with the dynamics of the music makes the dynamics more apparent, but dancing with a gameboy in your hand is just douchey.

Sorry about my rant. Getting my point across is kind of nice without stuttering.
I already responded to the OP, so I'll stop posting now. smile

hey mods is it possible to partition this discussion into a new topic? I'm pretty interested in where this is going but don't want to keep derailing

Brunswick, GA USA
an0va wrote:

hey mods is it possible to partition this discussion into a new topic? I'm pretty interested in where this is going but don't want to keep derailing

Anyone can make a new thread, like this one.

chunter wrote:
an0va wrote:

Anyone can make a new thread, like this one.

I was hoping for the posts to just be moved but FINE ok (thank you!!!) smile

Brisbane

I had a Roland Microcube and it worked great. Whichever one you get  find a nice solid wall to busk in front of, prop your amp at 45degrees FACING the wall. The bounce effect sound give you a louder sound.

east coast

I used to go out with the fender amp can
dont do much busking these days but this was really handy when I did
the Vox mini is great too