Brunswick, GA USA
an0va wrote:

hey mods is it possible to partition this discussion into a new topic? I'm pretty interested in where this is going but don't want to keep derailing

Anyone can make a new thread, your new thread can contain quote bbcodes.

Much of the side discussion is covered in a "how do you play live" thread if you want to necro one. I can add the following:

If your personality and/or music don't lend to jumping and dancing, but you try jumping and dancing anyway, your audience will see through it. If you're not sure what your style or "pose" ought to be, find other musicians in your genre (chips not necessary.) It will take practice much like finding your own "sound."

The context of your audience is of critical importance, whether you have a stage separating you from them or not, and whether your performance is invited or not. Your performance begins when your ass is in the venue, not you take the stage, set up, soundcheck, or whatever- your very arrival is part of your gig, and your clothes, whatever they may be, are your costume.

Your audience may not be interested in your gig. How do you adjust? Are you able to do it? Will people remember you in a good way when they leave?

I see this as a discussion of overall stage presence: how do you like to approach this yourself? Are you calm and reserved or go all out? Are there things you like/dislike in seeing how other people take the stage?

chunter wrote:

Your performance begins when your ass is in the venue

can't agree with this enough

Last edited by an0va (Aug 26, 2012 6:31 am)

Gosford, Australia

i hate seeing bands play what should be EXCITING music but nobody on stage who isn't stuck to their instrument (i.e. the drummer) is moving around. being boring makes you SOUND boring aaaaugh.

on stage i like to just be a fucking dickhead and flail around but i'm probably hella embarrassing to watch haha. at the last show i played the ceiling was kinda low and there was about a square metre of space for me to stand on, so i just kinda waved my hands around, bobbed my head and punched the rafters and ceiling

Chicago IL

i do uppercuts and play with knobs

Sydney, NSW
Saskrotch wrote:

i do uppercuts and play with knobs

airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airpunch airp

Holland
chunter wrote:
an0va wrote:

hey mods is it possible to partition this discussion into a new topic? I'm pretty interested in where this is going but don't want to keep derailing

Anyone can make a new thread, your new thread can contain quote bbcodes.

Much of the side discussion is covered in a "how do you play live" thread if you want to necro one. I can add the following:

If your personality and/or music don't lend to jumping and dancing, but you try jumping and dancing anyway, your audience will see through it. If you're not sure what your style or "pose" ought to be, find other musicians in your genre (chips not necessary.) It will take practice much like finding your own "sound."

The context of your audience is of critical importance, whether you have a stage separating you from them or not, and whether your performance is invited or not. Your performance begins when your ass is in the venue, not you take the stage, set up, soundcheck, or whatever- your very arrival is part of your gig, and your clothes, whatever they may be, are your costume.

Your audience may not be interested in your gig. How do you adjust? Are you able to do it? Will people remember you in a good way when they leave?

What kind of audience do you want, the people coming for your wardrobe or music?

You sound like a "I earn 25 million dollar a year-rockstar", I seriously couldn't care less about what the audience thinks of my t-shirt.

Do not agree with the dancing and people seeing through it as well. Our chiptunes are not for live purposes per se, yet the basslines and drums sound pretty good on a big PA, if you give a proper example and show people you're enjoying yourself, people will join that vibe faster.

Fr

+1 Xylo, but somehow he is right. Your t-shirt is awesome, and you know the audience loves it, as long as IT'S ATARI LOL1111Z

East Kilbride, Scotland

I think I'd play more gigs if it was acceptable to just sit in the corner with a laptop plugged into a PA. Maybe it would make sense to hire someone to dress like me and dance around.

Austin, Texas

Hire an attractive female singer and lyricist just to write lyrics for your more melodic songs and to be your surrogate stage presence.

Foolproof plan!

an0va wrote:
chunter wrote:

Your performance begins when your ass is in the venue

can't agree with this enough

Absolutely. Your music project or stage name is a brand, and you are making an investment in it every time you represent it in an official capacity, every time you perform. Regardless of your level of talent, being unprofessional isn't acceptable and will close doors, lose you fans, and alienate your audience. No matter how small time your act, or even how unremarkable your music itself might be, a show where everyone leaves the venue with a smile on their face having had a good time will get you booked again and again.

Conversely, I've seen famous and established musicians really fuck up by being rude to bandmates, other musicians, technicians, staff, and audience members. The best example I have is seeing Al Di Meola when I was like 19. He played at the Cactus CafĂ©, an established and renowned smaller venue on the University of Texas campus. He had mild and avoidable technical difficulties that he made big issues of, thereby upstaging himself. He brought a dual rectifier half-stack as his main amplifier, way too much amp for the venue, which his sound techs walled off with Lexan acoustic paneling  and dropped a mic in front of. He had a dedicated guitar tech literally adjusting his amp in real time as he played. Whenever he would get the slightest hint of feedback, he would roll his eyes and stare daggers into the guitar tech from center stage. At one point, a song ended after he had used the distortion channel, and he sat there staring at the tech instead of, you know, turning off the distortion to kill the feedback. At one point he dropped out of a song just to yell at the guitar tech about the minutiae of the amp, and he let the rhythm section maintain a pattern around him for the minute and a half he was offstage. After all of this, he commented into the microphone on stage that the venue was "smaller than his bathroom." Seriously unprofessional.

After the show, I ran into the guitar tech and shook his hand. I told him he'd done an amazing job working with the unfavorable circumstances, and that I was sorry that the musician had been rude to him during the performance. He said, totally unphased, "Ah, that's just Al."

The lessons here are simple, but very important ones:

• Plan Ahead

• Know Before You Go

• Work With What You Have

• No One Likes a Primadonna

• Don't Rely on Others to Solve Your Problems

• Blaming Others for Your Problems Doesn't Garner Respect

• Being an Artist is not a Free Pass to Disrespect Others

Seriously, though, I don't know why I was surprised that this guy's a tool:

EDIT: A much more recent example of an unprofessional professional musician losing a lot of respect is the Danzig Fiasco at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2011. Virtually all of Austin now permanently knows Danzig as the guy who wouldn't play over French Onion Soup.

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 26, 2012 12:13 pm)

Liverpool, UK

If you're not giving it your all, 100% of the time, then don't fucking bother.

Gosford, Australia
calmdownkidder wrote:

If you're not giving it your all, 100% of the time, then don't fucking bother.

i like your fucking style

Your personal style and music may somewhat influence what the audience is receptive to.  Bringing back performance art, I suspect that most fans of music that is traditionally associated with dancing will be less receptive to things like Coum Transmissions (for example, check out the first google result for "performance transcript coum transmissions") or Genitorturers shows (but, really, what do I know...I mentioned Genesis P-Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti?).  My tastes are different than most, but it is really a symbiotic relationship, and comes down to enjoying what you are doing, finding those who will be supportive of that, and want to experience it.

@Sycamore Drive: If you want  to sit in the corner, do it.  If you feel the need to interact with the audience more, toss them candy and shine lasers on them or something.

shanghai

just dont over think these things. jeez no one is paying to see a performing monkey. basically you try too hard and dance like a knob then of course you look like a knob. but you stand like a shy cardboard cut out and its pretty boring. Myself i dont really give a shit what people think when they look at me play, im pretty busy juggling between playing synths banging the mpc blah blah, so if people are like 'he doesnt interact with the crowd much' id say to them its cos im fucking busy keeping track of what im playing and thinking ahead 2 minutes at all times toget the next synth sounds/drum ready and transition to the next track. id rather see a seamless live show rather than someone stopping and chatting drunken shit into the mic between songs.but thats just me i guess. basically what im saying is concentrate on making the show decent 'sound wise', this is more important id say than wearing a cool t shirt or getting people to put their hands in the air.but for sure its good to have a few drinks first so you can happily shout into a mic for people to make some fucking noise every now and again. that does help.

Madison, Alabama

Everyone should wear a nice tie when they perform.  It really helps.

I played trumpet with a band recently and we all wore full suits. Was pretty cool, but not the staple of the show. I think we were all relatively timid on stage when it happened, but the amp sphere of the music called for it and the crowd reacted ye way we wanted them to.

buffalo, NY

It's really impossible for me to not look like a goober. 

I just kinda go all out anyways.