San Angelo, TX

three days ago i smoked 99% pure DMT.
I experienced what felt like the universe and i were melting together and that time and all things that exist, exist just for my amusement.
I also had the oppertunity to experince a No-Boundaries ego death. which
was....
a little unnerving, especially because i listened to some music i created while experiencing it.

What i have discovered:
All music is subjective and there is no "REAL" difference between "Good" music and "Bad" music.
Its just music.
I also experienced a thousand deahs in the process of evaluating my own music.

What are my fellow musicians thoughts on ego death and music?

here is the song i made and listened too while on DMT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKtYuOd2_0

uhajdafdfdfa

cool you took drugs and now talk nonsense that's really cool

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
ant1 wrote:

cool you took drugs and now talk nonsense that's really cool

hardcore, Australia

There is a difference between good music and bad music.

I discovered this when smoking 100% pure DMT. Step up your game.

Edit: Musicians who say there is no bad music are like athletes who say it's not about winning.

Last edited by godinpants (Aug 14, 2012 9:57 pm)

Austin, Texas

This is the genesis of ECDM right here, guys: Ego-centrist Death Music.

You heard it here first, guys. This is even better than being there when Witch House was invented.

matt's mind

São Paulo, Brazil

Your thread is pure egotrip.

#dmtfail

Seattle, WA US

I can't imagine the feelings that would all arise at once listening to my own music in such a scenario.. only experienced egodeath one time and it was terrifyingly and beautifully eye opening. I would hope to think that I would learn to quit judging my own music while making it, but its tough to say.

Seattle, WA US

It would be cool if the people who didn't understand their brains and their interactions with drugs quit posting in this because its an extremely valid topic

NC in the US of America
godinpants wrote:

There is a difference between good music and bad music.

I discovered this when smoking 100% pure DMT. Step up your game.

Edit: Musicians who say there is no bad music are like athletes who say it's not about winning.

0_o You need drugs to discover this?

Austin, Texas

No disrespect to the legitimacy of one's desire to investigate the relationship between music, musicianship, and psychoactive drug experiences was intended to be implied in my earlier comment.

That said, I do find some of the OP's word choices in describing his experience funny.

I think it's interesting to use an altered state of consciousness to re-experience your own forms and means of expression.

San Angelo, TX

Sorry for such bad wording.
I was trying to post this while at work on my phone.

San Angelo, TX

It also doesn't bother me that people think my point is invalid.
But for me it was an incredible experience that you just can't comprehend without trying it for yourself.
Also, saying that there is no such thing as bad music is truly how I felt. Or else I wouldn't have stated it.
No one can say what I felt is wrong or right.
I was just expressing my experience.

The term you're probably looking for is "Ego Depletion." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_depletion Although misinterpreted in drug culture as "ego death," as a slang term, it originally is used to view our self-control as a limited resource.

Also a feeling that you get during that experience can also be a very sober thing, no drugs needed at all. Dr. Csíkszentmihályi proposes this in his "Flow" concept and actually has a few published articles on the relationship between Flow and the creation of electronic music. Check them out sometime!

But yes, I have experienced this effect (specifically, Flow) for sure and I also assume that nearly everyone here has too. It's not really a WHOA OMG MIND TRIP thing but it really is that experience that is expressed in the saying, "time flies when you're having fun." Coincidentally, "Ego Depletion" is the title of my next release. wink

edit: And I don't even do drugs.

Last edited by an0va (Aug 14, 2012 10:55 pm)

New York City

Austin, Texas
Screamforme99 wrote:

Sorry for such bad wording.
I was trying to post this while at work on my phone.

No need to apologize, we are just horsing around. smile