Seattle, WA, USA

I've scoured the web and can't seem to find this list.  I have an early 90s IBM ThinkPad 755C with a soundcard that has support for software emulation of SoundBlaster, AdLib, Roland MT-32.  I've manually set the IRQ to 5 and 10, Fasttracker refuses to pick it up.  At one point I got the SoundBlaster radio button selected in Fasttracker (after switching port to something like 240), but then it crashed...

Note that I get fantastic sound in Windows 3.11.  And many DOS games have fine sound.

This is a really fine laptop with some great features and I'd rather not dump it in favor of a newer machine with Win95 or 98.

uhajdafdfdfa

i have no idea really

but if all else fails, turn fasttracker to PC SPEAKER MODE smile

(edit: or use IT)

Last edited by ant1 (Aug 18, 2012 12:33 am)

Seattle, WA, USA

PC speaker sounds terrible.  I get about .5 seconds of sound and then it starts to sound like a cat in a blender.

Also, I'm pretty sure Dubmood will kick us off DA if I use IT, so, uh, no thanks.

a lot of the software emulations don't support many of the actual Soundblaster card types iirc, it could be emulating a really old SB which FT2 doesn't support. (even the later small Soundblaster cards which had dos sound emulation couldn't run Fasttracker anymore)   I was about to say try GUSEmu32 (which was designed to run dos demos and intros that only have Gravis support) but you're running Win 3.1.

out of interest what's your BLASTER setup look like?  (go to a dos window and type SET, then post whatever is on the BLASTER= line)  The T variable shows which type of card it's supporting. (see here )

tbh these days the least hassle way to run FastTracker is under Dosbox on a modern machine, the soundblaster emulation is fine there. (the gravis needs some work)

edit: from the ft2 docs:

"If you use  Soundblaster or Soundplayer you might want to change the mixing frequency or else your tunes will sound very bad. If your computer is a 486+ with a Soundblaster (Classic, Pro or 16) or a Soundplayer you can use interpolation to get better sound quality. To improve your soundquality you can enable the 16-bit mixing, this enhances the precision in the mixing routine but it requires more CPU time. You can also enable stereo, but then your Soundblaster Pro cannot play at more than 22050Hz. And while we’re at the frequency, the frequency table works like this: the linear frequency table makes all pitch bends to run in constant speed, independent of the current frequency. If you switch this one, on a finished song, it might sound strange if the sound uses portamentoes."

so it looks like it supports types 1 (classic?), 2 (Pro) and 6 (SB16) at least.

Last edited by 4mat (Aug 18, 2012 4:17 am)

Seattle, WA, USA

Thanks for the response, 4mat.  I will check on the BLASTER line later, but I know for a fact I already spent some time changing and tweaking it's variables in my AUTOEXEC.BAT (or was it CONFIG.SYS?)  Didn't seem to help.

I think I'm just SOL to be honest.  I will do some research on GUSEmu32 because I'm not familiar.

And yeah, I know that Dosbox is awesome, I just wanted to use this ole lappy because it's got a real classic look and feel.  And the multimedia dock has a handle smile

If I have any solutions to my problem I will make sure to post here.