Did you know today is the 150th anniversary of Claude Debussy's birth? Here is an eight track album I cobbled together in tribute to the great composer.

The aim here was not necessarily to try to sound like Debussy (not that I could even if I tried), but to keep his compositional precepts in mind--such as attention to timbre and dynamics, or experimentation with unusual tonalities--while writing things with my own flair; styles represented vary from funk and jazz to folk and orchestral fare.This is mostly SNES based, but there's some NES, N64, and even some 1-bit samples to mix things up throughout. Hope people enjoy.

Download/Stream at Ubiktune!

Stream on bandcamp/free download

Last edited by fluidvolt (Aug 22, 2012 6:19 pm)

Sydney, NSW

Lush sounds here! I love the mix of gritty and smooth textures, tech-ish and natural sound sources. You've pulled together something really great here, I'm digging it!

It's not often you get many chip dudes paying strict attention to the finer compositional points like dynamic and expressive techniques. I think dynamics have pretty much lost their place in most contemporary electronic music, and most people get scared with using it. You've got it all sorted out though, man!

I love it, I absolutely love it! I gotta chuck some money your way later on!

This is lovely! You've picked some gorgeous timbres.

I'm intrigued by the use of N64 samples. How did you obtain those sounds?

Brighton/Southampton

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

I can pretty much echo what Chainsaw Police has said; gradual tempo changes, expressive dynamics, great use of harmony etc. There's a real sense of musicianship in this album, and it's rare to find chip/electronic musicians that incorperate these kinds of details into their music. Congrats big_smile

Last edited by Fearofdark (Aug 22, 2012 11:49 pm)

Austin, Texas

New fluidvolt AND new J. Arthur Keenes? What did I do to deserve this week?! big_smile

Thanks guys! I'm glad people are digging this.

Chainsaw Police: Thanks! It's one of those things that I've been experimenting with for a while, and it is overwhelming at first but it can add a lot to a piece sometimes.

Stevens: Yeah, timbre was a big focal point in this, glad you noticed. As for your question: look no further than SubDrag's awesome (and aptly named) N64 Sound Tool. PM me if you'd like some pointers but it's pretty easy to use.

Fearofdark: Thanks man, that's exactly what I was going for. Rubato and dynamics tend to be bypassed for the most part but it's something I keep coming back to, and an interesting element to liven up old sounds.

Telerophon: Thanks wink

Thanks again for listening everyone!

fluidvolt wrote:

...look no further than SubDrag's awesome (and aptly named) N64 Sound Tool...

This looks incredible, not sure how I'd missed it! I have a feeling this is going to become a key part of my arsenal in the coming months...

Last edited by Stevens (Aug 23, 2012 6:22 pm)

Nomad's Land

finally i got around to downloading this. oh boy, is it good. a highly original and skillfully executed mix of mellow- and quirkyness. crystalline cavern and the title track are my favorites right now, though this is one of those releases that one can listen over and over again and still discover more magic every time.
great job fluidvolt, and shame on all the people who didn't check this out yet.

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Sep 6, 2012 2:47 pm)

Sydney, NSW

Speaking of which, everyone needs to hear this. Bump

CANADA!

Heard Sketches of a Moonlit Glade and just had to download the album.
And I have to say the whole album is just fantastic.

This is inspiring man. Thank you for this album.

Madison, Alabama

Oh man, I totally missed this!  Your tunes are always fantastic and this release is flat-out A M A Z I N G.

Suberb.

This album has really become a part of my life.

Youngstown, OH

Fluidvolt is the best.

Westfield, NJ

I think my favorite track is "Battle Against A Shapeless Opponent"

Sydney, NSW

This shit is so good I used it as part of my HSC research. ~~Educational~~

I'll bump this as long as I can until everyone has heard it.