Barcelona city - Spain

Hello guys, I'm planing to pro-sound my GAMEBOY light, but I'm lost about how to do pro-sound  mod into this model... any good video tutorial suggestion?

Also that, would be great if you could share your experience about making music those this kind of gameboy models even using gamboy pockets, etc.

Let me know!

Thanks!

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am)

shanghai

i looked in mine, then decided i couldnt be bothered to fuck with it incase i damaged it. i'd advise just get a dmg and prosound that. i make tunes on the gameboy light on me travels, and use the dmg for recording and arduinoboy purposes. But im sure you can do it if you really want to.

Austin, Texas

I would advise against it since those are so rare and collectible…

You can EL backlight a DMG and prosound that and have a better sounding game boy with the same light and the same processor spec, so why not?

Barcelona city - Spain

Hello guys, I have about 4 dmgs with pro-sound and backlight. Just wanted to share with you if the pro-sound mode would be a good or a bad idea with this model... I use my Gameboy Light Famitsu 500 for composition when traveling, then I always record my stuff with DMG's ;-)

But the NOISE and low quality volume of the GBlight sucks, and that's the reason of why I'm asking you if it's would be a good or bad idea pro-sound this guy for a better quality sound.

Seems like it is not a good idea. I didn't know that GBlight uses the same DMG processor.

Thanks for sharing your visions about this big_smile

I found that I preferred the very slight sound differences I experienced when my gameboy light was still working.

What I noticed as significant is that the wav channel had a more midranged sound playing the same synth. One problem that can occur with a lot of DMG songs is that they get very bass heavy and this helped that.

I used to write and record a lot of songs, for 8bc etc, only on the gameboy light and with the light on and noone seemed to notice.

Also, I've only seen photos of EL backlit DMG's but the light on one of these is just amazing.

About your original question, I remember that Nonfinite posted a topic on 8bc a while back where he'd opened up a gameboy light so he might have a bit more insight into prosounding one of these.

Barcelona city - Spain

Thanks aphasia, I know that artist like SAITONE also used GAMEBOY lights in so many records. About the topic from NONFINITE en regardoing the GAMEBOYLIGHT seems to be lost cause the 8bc website it's seems to be down :-(

Anyways I would decide soon if must be modified or not.

Thanks!

Bristol, UK

It's the same as mgb or cgb, just remember to remove the little resistors by the headphone output

Barcelona city - Spain

Evil Scientis do you have a video tutorial? as I said I never do it a pro sound mod to one of this models.

Thanks!

Bristol, UK

Follow this: http://mikejmoffitt.com/tut/tut_mgb_lineuot.html it's exactly the same process for game boy light. The sound is still pretty quiet and there's still some noise if you have the light switched on.

Barcelona city - Spain

Ok... thanks a lot! big_smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

FYI, I'm pretty sure it won't get rid of the EL noise.

Barcelona city - Spain

Maybe won't get rid in 100% but would maybe minimize that noise?

Toronto

You could always compose with it on, and turn the EL light off for recordings/performances?

It won't really minimize the noise. it will only minimize the amplifier noise. not the backlight noise.

Barcelona city - Spain

Thank you guys for your inputs!

I feel as if it will be a waste of time, and ruin the value of the unit