Holland

I'm losing my right stereo channel when I close the DMG, I tried switching pcb's on both the back and front with no luck. Could somebody tell me how I can fix it or at least how it can happen (precisely), because I'm at a loss.

Last edited by relo (Aug 28, 2012 6:07 pm)

Unsubscribe

is something shorting out once the case is closed? A bare wire touching another part of the pcb?

Holland

Not that I can tell. there aren't any bare wires that can touch anything.

Chicago

You could try replacing the wheel potentiometer for the volume control. I tried it and it worked for myself so I don't know give it a shot.

Austin, Texas

Or you could clean the existing one by getting some rubbing alcohol into the wipers with a Q-tip and rolling it back and forth a few dozen times. That might do it, I've had the wipers stick in a couple of mine before.

Holland
GoingHam wrote:

You could try replacing the wheel potentiometer for the volume control. I tried it and it worked for myself so I don't know give it a shot.

I dont have a pitch mod, only backlight, biversion and RCA prosound.

Telerophon wrote:

Or you could clean the existing one by getting some rubbing alcohol into the wipers with a Q-tip and rolling it back and forth a few dozen times. That might do it, I've had the wipers stick in a couple of mine before.

Wipers?

Austin, Texas

From the Wikipedia article about Potentiometers:

Wikipedia wrote:

Potentiometers comprise a resistive element, a sliding contact (wiper) that moves along the element, making good electrical contact with one part of it, electrical terminals at each end of the element, a mechanism that moves the wiper from one end to the other, and a housing containing the element and wiper.

Many inexpensive potentiometers are constructed with a resistive element formed into an arc of a circle usually a little less than a full turn, and a wiper rotating around the arc and contacting it. The resistive element, with a terminal at each end, is flat or angled. The wiper is connected to a third terminal, usually between the other two. On panel potentiometers, the wiper is usually the center terminal of three. For single-turn potentiometers, this wiper typically travels just under one revolution around the contact. The only point of ingress for contamination is the narrow space between the shaft and the housing it rotates in.

Chicago

Pitch mod is irrelevant to what I am purposing. To be a bit more specific, locate one of these to replace the volume knob, wheel, dial

Austin, Texas

For the record, that is a stereo pcb mount linear wheel potentiometer.

Holland

May I first ask how that can help when I have replaced the full back PCB without any luck of solving it?

If it's not the front pcb or the back pcb, then it can only be the case itself or the output jack..

Somehow...

Austin, Texas

I mean, I'd assume the headphone amp daughterboard is included with the back PCB when he replaced it.

All I can think of is a bad solder somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting that if it's been redone over and over.

Maybe part of the RCA for the right channel shorts when you close it?

Where are your ground and 2 audio lines coming from to the RCAs

Holland
Timbob wrote:

If it's not the front pcb or the back pcb, then it can only be the case itself or the output jack..

Somehow...

I forgot to check the RCA jack for stereo (my own stupidity...), it has it. So it seems to be the output jack.

Last edited by relo (Aug 29, 2012 9:54 am)

Holland

After some checking I noticed that the right channel is also gone in the speaker, strange...

12ianma wrote:

Where are your ground and 2 audio lines coming from to the RCAs

top 2 and the ground on the lowest of the regular 5 prosound spots.

Last edited by relo (Aug 29, 2012 2:58 pm)