Austin, Texas

I dunno, I think it provided some interesting context for considering the nature of music and musicianship.

Westfield, NJ
ant1 wrote:

i don't think this is an interesting thread at all

what do you get out of knowing whether people you kind of know from a forum are able to read music or not

sorry an0va

all the really good threads get closed by moderators though, so this is as good as it gets.

ant1 wrote:

i don't think this is an interesting thread at all

what do you get out of knowing whether people you kind of know from a forum are able to read music or not

sorry an0va

Hahahaha it's k, I guess I wanted to see the spread going on in here and we don't have any polls sad

Last edited by an0va (Sep 5, 2012 7:18 pm)

thebitman wrote:

because most jazz ensembles don't use tubas

a jazz tuba solo is one of the funniest pictures i can imagine right now for some reason

Last edited by an0va (Sep 5, 2012 7:17 pm)

The Bronx
an0va wrote:
thebitman wrote:

because most jazz ensembles don't use tubas

a jazz tuba solo is one of the funniest pictures i can imagine right now for some reason

It sounds like you two need more Henry Threadgill in your lives! He likes to use tubas in place of basses.

"Come Carry the Day" by Henry Threadgill
From "Carry the Day" [1994]

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19492/music/01 … he_day.mp3

Haha yes!!! You always pull through man!

Oceanside, CA

Whoa....first post. Righteous.

So yeah, I can read treble and bass clef without any trouble, most of the time...played flute for 14 years now and tuba for 9, played both in various jazz bands. Tuba is WAY more fun as a jazz instrument. Currently trying to play piano, since I feel like it'll be good to be proficient in it. Having experience with both clefs is proving to be pretty useful. I'm a classical voice major, for the record.

Henry Threadgill is pretty damn wizard, too.

Brunswick, GA USA
an0va wrote:

Tuba was once a very common jazz instrument, as was banjo. The business is at 5:25.

I want a straight up fast bebop charlie parker style tuba solo to make me crack up doe

no

but i got soul

Last edited by shitbird (Sep 6, 2012 6:25 am)

an0va wrote:

I want a straight up fast bebop charlie parker style tuba solo to make me crack up doe

http://bonerama.bandcamp.com/track/chemical-assistance it starts around 1:15, not quite Charlie Parker, but it's pretty hip. And it's followed by an equally stunning bass trombone solo.

killadelphia

I'm a guitar teacher so i can sight read and i usually write my chip melodies out on paper.  Its easiest for me at this point.  Reading and writing is NOT necessary to be a great musician - i've seen both cases be extremely successful, so really its whatever you think you need for your own particular art.  Most people who want to play music everyday for a living need to read music, but most creative types couldn't be bothered with this.  I find a lot of times its like this:  if you are super creative by nature its really hard to do technical things like read and write out music properly (totally different brain function), and If you are super technical by nature its hard to let the rigidness go and be creative.  In any case there are people who have both the technical and the creative and i usually admire them a lot.  We find a lot of those people in this scene.  and by technical - i don't necessarily think that has to even include the ability to read.  who cares really.  its all sound in the end.

Last edited by animalstyle (Sep 6, 2012 4:02 pm)

Yuma, AZ

Yes, though percussion mostly.
I play a lot of pick-up gigs for bands passing through, and the inevitable giant book of sheet music has become a close friend.

Gosford, Australia
animalstyle wrote:

We find a lot of those people in this scene.  and by technical - i don't necessarily think that has to even include the ability to read.  who cares really.  its all sound in the end.

word. i don't think there are many traditional sight readers (outside of the "scene") who can look at a song file in a tracker and make any kind of sense out of it.

Last edited by Victory Road (Sep 6, 2012 11:25 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

I be doing a Music performance degree, so I like to think i can.
Don't make me read percussion clef though :S
Funny thing is, when playing guitar, i find alto and tenor clef easier to sight-read than if someone gave me bass clef.
Our theory class is about Arrangements for bands so I'm getting better.
I'm glad this thread popped up though, this helps me with my gameboy program project. smile

washington
an0va wrote:

Guitar is only treble clef, but it's notoriously difficult because on the guitar there are endless different ways to play the same thing and notation gives you no hint of fingerings or position shifts (unless you have a very courteous transcriber). To make matters worse, many jazz chord charts are very ambigious leaving you to come up with specific voicings all on your own.

UGHH jazz chords. I stupidly joined my school's jazz band, and I barely know how to play 7th barre chords. As for vague chord charts, that's my favorite part of guitar. Wherever there is uncertainty, it can be filled with yourself. Improv is one of the greatest tools a guitarist can have, and if you can't make a piece of music your own, what's the point of playing? smile