Chicago IL
Frostbyte wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

i can look at sheet music and figure it out, but i never understood why people though that was a better method than just memorizing how to play something. aint no pages to turn in your mind.

So we can play and understand shit a couple hundred years later. Bach never had Audacity dude.

completely irrelevant to the point i was making

ant1 wrote:

i thought sheet music was for learning a thing when you are in the stage before you have memorized it

i mean you have to play something quite a lot of times before you have memorized it and if it is several minutes long or particularly complex it might not be that easy to do it by ear

that's a practice thing. i was talking about actual performance.

--

Last edited by ioflow (Nov 7, 2013 7:44 am)

I've been reading forever, and currently I am having to sightread in bass and treble for jazz combo at school. I feel like sheet music is good for learning music quickly, and for one-time playing, but honestly it's just another tool in the box. Some people get by with one tool, others can use anything else.

Chicago IL, USA

I can read treble clef very easily from playing saxophone in school band for 3 years, and bass clef I can read slowly since I only just started piano this year. I kind of just figure out notes on the pages then memorize the songs I like and play with no sheets like Saskrotch is saying. It's easier and now I can impress people at parties by playing 1/3 of Avril 14th.

Last edited by SadPanda (Sep 1, 2012 6:14 am)

Gosford, Australia
Saskrotch wrote:

i can look at sheet music and figure it out, but i never understood why people though that was a better method than just memorizing how to play something. aint no pages to turn in your mind.

it's so people who can read it don't have to spend time memorizing it

Westfield, NJ
Victory Road wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

it's so people who can read it don't have to spend time memorizing it

Orange County, CA

Played Clarinet for 12 years, never enough practice to sight read, but my most memorable music times was in marching band. Probably why my music comes out too thematic but oh well. I took guitar for a year but balls if I'm going to learn anymore than what the notes/strings are and chords.
BANDGEEK4LYFE.

Savannah, Georgia

i've always been able to sight play pretty much any instrument. that's probably why i've never learned how to read music. hmm

Last edited by Aeros (Sep 2, 2012 6:08 pm)

Grimsby, UK

i can read treble clef and bass clef well, and i can kinda read alto and tenor clef, but they're kinda useless...
i can't read drum music (and neither can i write it)

Orange County, CA
rasta_dan wrote:

i can read treble clef and bass clef well, and i can kinda read alto and tenor clef, but they're kinda useless...
i can't read drum music (and neither can i write it)

I've never even seen a tenor clef. mind bown.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Tenor and alto clef are super useful in my opinion, but they'd obviously be more useful if more people could read them. Tenor clef should be a standard part of early trombone education, imo. I assume soprano clef is equally useful, but I rarely encounter it.

for your reference, Dr Treble, all three of those clefs look the same, but are positioned differently on the staff. You typically only see them on trombone and viola parts, or sometimes in choral music.

If I were going to seriously notate chipmusic in some way that was based on western notation (which would be kindof a waste of time in most situations), I would probably build some kind of 8 octave megastaff with every fifth line in bold for each voice.

Austin, Texas

An easy way to figure out tenor clef, and any other clef like it, is to remember that the entire family of clefs it belongs to is called the "C Clef."

It's called the C Clef because the line of the staff that intersects the center of the clef is always C.

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 2, 2012 5:47 pm)

Orange County, CA
Telerophon wrote:

An easy way to figure out tenor clef, and any other clef like it, is to remember that the entire family of clefs it belongs to is called the "C Clef."

It's called the C Clef because the line of the staff that intersects the center of the clef is always C.

That would throw me off so hard considering my main experience is in a Bb instrument lol

Austin, Texas

Yeah, I've only ever played rhythm section, so I'd be right there with you.

That said, the only thing between me and competent sight-reading now is years of cumulative practice.

On that note, this post now serves as a reminder to myself to do sight-reading flashcards as part of my Rocky Balboa chipmusic training montage. wink

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 2, 2012 6:02 pm)

Neo Jersey

yea, I started taking piano lessons two years ago. One of the best decisions i ever made with my life. it's like learning a second language. i still can't sight read very well unless its an easy song where your hands aren't moving too much, but if they're is a lot of movement i find myself having to look down at the keys, and then i lose my place on the sheet music. i usually just play a piece until i memorize it. My piano teacher is the complete opposite and it amazes me. Everyone is different i guess. also i'm glad decktonic posted the video of the ridiculous sight reader - that dude is my hero.

Portland

I'm a trained jazz bassist and drummer.
I can only read bass clef haha.
but yeah.