Philadelphia

I can really only read percussion music well. I can somewhat read for other instruments, it just takes a while for me to figure out what it is exactly. But for the most part I'm not that good since I just taught myself to play everything I know by ear. WHOOPS

Austin, Texas
Vellain wrote:

I think that everyone interested in any sort of musical composition should know as much musical theory as they can so that when they go through their weird Avant-garde phase they can write something in the Mixolydian mode.

This is the part of the thread where we drink cheap bourbon ironically and reminisce about our post-blues period.

washington
Frostbyte wrote:
basspuddle wrote:

(going into drum corps next year)

LUCKY. What corps?

Just a little local corps, the Cascades. They perform in DCI but they're not the best.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Yes.

buffalo, NY
Telerophon wrote:
Vellain wrote:

I think that everyone interested in any sort of musical composition should know as much musical theory as they can so that when they go through their weird Avant-garde phase they can write something in the Mixolydian mode.

This is the part of the thread where we drink cheap bourbon ironically and reminisce about our post-blues period.

LOL at the concept that mixolydian is reserved for 'avant garde'

I realize that post is full of sarcasm, but that's the implication.

Btw replace mixolydian with whole tone

Gosford, Australia

nonono if you want avant-garde you need to devise your own system of notation and write symmetrical microtonal pieces for a cor anglais trio

or y'know, just be morton feldman

btw i can't sight read music lol

Last edited by Victory Road (Aug 31, 2012 11:29 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Any non-western scale is for "avant garde".

i b4 someone says "I only read graphical scores."

México, DF.

Fo sho.

danimal cannon wrote:

Btw replace mixolydian with whole tone

btw replace whole tone with sim dom.

Last edited by eme7h (Aug 31, 2012 11:52 pm)

Austin, Texas
kineticturtle wrote:

Any non-western scale is for "avant garde".

i b4 someone says "I only read graphical scores."

I see you've met my ex girlfriend. neutral

Godzilladelph

been reading that shit my whole life. does it matter? not really.

i can read

Chicago IL

i can look at sheet music and figure it out, but i never understood why people though that was a better method than just memorizing how to play something. aint no pages to turn in your mind.

Savannah, Georgia
Saskrotch wrote:

i never understood why people though that was a better method than just memorizing how to play something. aint no pages to turn in your mind.

²

Last edited by Aeros (Sep 1, 2012 1:42 am)

Brunswick, GA USA
Saskrotch wrote:

i can look at sheet music and figure it out, but i never understood why people though that was a better method than just memorizing how to play something. aint no pages to turn in your mind.

In my experience as well as in my lessons, you didn't know a piece unless you could play from memory.

Saskrotch wrote:

So we can play and understand shit a couple hundred years later. Bach never had Audacity dude.

uhajdafdfdfa

i thought sheet music was for learning a thing when you are in the stage before you have memorized it

i mean you have to play something quite a lot of times before you have memorized it and if it is several minutes long or particularly complex it might not be that easy to do it by ear