Chicago IL, USA

the issue isn't that I don't want to have a legit copy, it's that I literally don't even have money to buy my own food right now. If you are ever looking for songs made with chipsounds though, pretty much all of mine are.

I do really plan on buying it eventually, I'm not just saying that. I'm super sick of my bad copy only saving half the time.

São Paulo, Brazil
plgDavid wrote:
SadPanda wrote:

Makes me wish I had an authentic copy of chipsounds (sorry I'm broke, but I swear I will buy a real copy someday)

Maybe on sept10th, the promotion will make you think about going legit <hint>

Even cheaper than it already is? (well, in my country, it's cheaper than buying two Game Boys).

oh yes, will be getting.

São Paulo, Brazil

I wonder how many people here resample Chipsounds (or other VSTi's) loops for using in other trackers.

Very excited for this - the new features look awesome

New York City
plgDavid wrote:
SadPanda wrote:

Makes me wish I had an authentic copy of chipsounds (sorry I'm broke, but I swear I will buy a real copy someday)

Maybe on sept10th, the promotion will make you think about going legit <hint>

YOu need as many users as you canget and that will help. Looking forward to it! I''ll spread it  around smile
PULSELOOPER: I sample it a bunch, it's a good source.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 3, 2012 10:08 am)

NICE! Well done as usual.

Montreal
akira^8GB wrote:

IFF is just RAW data with a header anyway.
Also they only work packed in a module, I just asked that to David. Maybe next version would support straight iff/raw sample import.

IFF(8SVX) is slightly more complex than RAW+header, as I found out yesterday while adding it to the import code. The VHDR chunk can specify sub samples representing the audio data for adjacent 'octaves' of sound (a sort of crude multisample). Very interesting for the time!

I've implemented that late last night, but its kind of hard to track down such files around.
One example that I can now import is http://aminet.net/package/mods/smpl/Instruments but I need more to make sure my code is robust.
(also if you have copies of the original Amiga Dealer Demo disks in ADF/DMS format, please tell me!)

If you know of a few good set of multi-octave 8SVX files, please send me a link, I'm building the final build of 1.6 shortly.

EDIT: I'm tackling the EA "Instant Music" Instrument folder now....

Thanks!

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 5, 2012 2:45 pm)

New York City

Wow that is something I never heard of and quite fantastic. Do you know what software supported them? Because I don't think any tracker I used supports them.

What I meant with "RAW + header" is exactly what you explain, the audio data in the IFF file is basically RAW, but it has a header/container that can do many other things. It also worked for graphics, let's remember. It was kind of a Quicktime of its time, if I am not totally wrong. Pretty impressive instead.

I can help you find these samples but samples are hard to find on the internet, I been looking for specific sample disks online for a while, seems like nobody has preserved them sad

Montreal
akira^8GB wrote:

Wow that is something I never heard of and quite fantastic. Do you know what software supported them? Because I don't think any tracker I used supports them.

from http://www.textfiles.com/programming/FO … ed-efx.txt :

"MED can load raw samples and IFF 8SVX 1, 3 and 5-octave samples.
         It means that you can load practically any sample to MED and
         use it in your songs. Note that raw samples and 1-octave 8SVX
         samples can use only octaves 1 - 3. Octaves 4 and 5 play from
         octave 3."

akira^8GB wrote:

What I meant with "RAW + header" is exactly what you explain, the audio data in the IFF file is basically RAW, but it has a header/container that can do many other things. It also worked for graphics, let's remember. It was kind of a Quicktime of its time, if I am not totally wrong. Pretty impressive instead.

EA's IFF is in fact the common ancestor for both RIFF (used in wav and avi) and AIFF. I previously made a C++ class that parses all IFF derived formats (and there are quite a few, and with various endian and word sizes. .. my kind of fun). Always great to know your code can be reused smile

akira^8GB wrote:

I can help you find these samples but samples are hard to find on the internet, I been looking for specific sample disks online for a while, seems like nobody has preserved them sad

Please look for IFF files with (usually) offset 0x34 greater than 1. (when VHDR is the first chunk in the file)

Thanks!

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 5, 2012 3:19 pm)

New York City

I will have a look at my collection of samples and let you know. I have amassed quite a few.
Also if there's any way I can *generate* the samples you need, let me know. I've got a sampler and my Amigas are ready big_smile Do you know which software -created- this type of samples?

Montreal
akira^8GB wrote:

I will have a look at my collection of samples and let you know. I have amassed quite a few.
Also if there's any way I can *generate* the samples you need, let me know. I've got a sampler and my Amigas are ready big_smile Do you know which software -created- this type of samples?

Yes in fact
http://ftp.back2roots.org/back2roots/cd … oduct-info

And:
http://ftp.back2roots.org/back2roots/cd … /misc/8svx
(though it would need to be assembled using .. dunno which assembler)

Milwaukee, WI
plgDavid wrote:

"MED can load raw samples and IFF 8SVX 1, 3 and 5-octave samples.
         It means that you can load practically any sample to MED and
         use it in your songs. Note that raw samples and 1-octave 8SVX
         samples can use only octaves 1 - 3. Octaves 4 and 5 play from
         octave 3."

I'm a long time med user and never bothered with 8SVX...not really sure why. How does 8SVX differ from the octave 8 wraparound method? Does Chipsounds support the octave 8 wraparound playback?

Milwaukee, WI

Since we're on the topic of FM Synth, fwiw I'd like to see some Sonix/Musicline Amiga emulation too!

Montreal
TSC wrote:

I'm a long time med user and never bothered with 8SVX...not really sure why. How does 8SVX differ from the octave 8 wraparound method? Does Chipsounds support the octave 8 wraparound playback?

Not sure I know what you mean. The only thing i know is the Paula DMA not being able to catch up if you play too fast and start to skip samples. I basically just allowed a maximum play speed. I doubt emulating the random sample skipping is of much interest.

You may refer to something totally different though. the octaves in a 8svx files are really separate samples, one sub sample for each octave. All appended together.

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 5, 2012 4:52 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

Thank you for the insight!

Basically the wraparound happens when you play a sample at octave 8-9. There is no change at octaves 4,5,6,7 but oddly enough it jumps down two octaves below 1-2 when you hit octave 8, allowing for drone-like noises/etc. I'm not sure if this is Amiga-related or just Med/Octamed/OSS exclusively.

Last edited by TSC (Sep 5, 2012 5:30 pm)