Montreal

Some are raw (wont work) and others are all FORM(8SSP), which i haven't seen before! (sigh)
My importer supports FORM(8SVX). need to find out what the ___ is 8SSP smile
+-FORM(8SSP)  size:     42468
  |-PARA  size:        14
  |-BODY  size:     42434

Can you decompress and add a .iff extension to these to see if they work:
http://aminet.net/mods/smpl/Instruments.lha

New York City

Yes, these work just fine.
The pack I sent you was meant for Protracker on the Atari ST. Perhaps that's why the header is different . But those samples run fine in my Amiga software. I use them quite a lot.

Problem is we use RAW and IFF transparently so it would be hard for me to recognize which are RAW and which aren't.

I tried other samples and they did work too. So these I just sent you are a special case.

I was wondering if this is possible: I read somewhere, and you could confirm this more than anyone else, that the Paula was actually limited by force to only accept the frequency range it does. If this is true, Chipsounds could have an "unlimited" mode where there are no octave restrictions on the samples. Do you think this is possible or is it one of those urban myths?

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 10, 2012 3:27 pm)

Montreal

google for the life ot itself cant find any info on 8SSP files, this will be fun. As far as RAW, yeah, i guess i should import them, problem is the import logic will then accept anything as samples, like dlls and images with ... sonic results you wont like smile

As far as the pitch range, yes I've limited it to follow the maximum pitch at which a Paula can play them. I could make a unlimited as well. Note: its currently only a factor for the upper octaves. you can play REALLY low if you want with pitch bend down.

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 10, 2012 3:31 pm)

Montreal

Or (silly me), if i open an IFF extension file that doesnt seem to be either 8SVX, or 8SSP (when ill figure it out), ill interpret it as raw. Good thing is that once i fix this it will be a simple exe to drag in a folder, not a full update.
Stay tuned...

New York City
plgDavid wrote:

problem is the import logic will then accept anything as samples, like dlls and images with ... sonic results you wont like smile

Well back in the day that's one of the methods I used to rip samples off software, and sometimes these noises worked well as single cycle waveforms big_smile

Anything you can do, is appreciated. Chipsounds is definitely a fantastic development.

Montreal

You can btw tweak the loop points at will if you hack the autogenerated SFZ files in the ARIAConverted folder.

Milwaukee, WI
plgDavid wrote:

problem is the import logic will then accept anything as samples, like dlls and images with ... sonic results you wont like smile

I'll often load parts of the Amiga's operating system/random txt files as a sample. It's noisy, but a good noisy!

Montreal

- IFF FORM-8SSP (Protracker interchange file format). This is a
cut down version of FORM-8SVX. It stores only the mark positions
and sample data. This format does not support stereo or 16 bit
samples.

Im on it

Montreal

To get 8SSP or RAW IFF files working:

Windows:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/plgshare/WIN_mod2sfz_1601.zip
extract/overwrite previous mod2sfz.exe in C:\Program Files\Plogue\Aria

Mac (ADVANCED USERS):
http://s3.amazonaws.com/plgshare/MAC_mod2sfz_1601.zip
extract/overwrite previous mod2sfz in /Library/Application Support/Plogue/Aria
(This exe needs to have proper permissions/owner, else it will fail)

Please report!

Last edited by plgDavid (Sep 10, 2012 8:14 pm)

New York City

So far so good, working great!!!

Montreal

Superb, thanks for trying it up.

New York City

Oh forgot to say I only tried this on Windows 7 64-bit. Didn't try the OSX version.

Montreal

We have just updated chipsounds to 1.601 to solve a few issues, including the IFF stuff akira^8GB found:

http://chipsounds.s3.amazonaws.com/WIN_ … v1.601.exe
http://chipsounds.s3.amazonaws.com/MAC_ … v1.601.pkg

Revision History

chipsounds v1.601 Sept 11th 2012
*Windows x64 build not working under some Windows machine (missing msvp100.dll )
*IFF import now supports 8SSP and RAW format
*YM2149F Hardwave and Sync Buzzer fixed

San Francisco

!@!!!!!!!!

New York City

I just thought of something, David...
When Chipsounds loads an IFF file or IFF files from a MOD... In which note does it assume the samples go? Because in the world of Amiga samples, a lot of times, samples are not landing in C, but rather in other places. For example, breaks or loops usually are recorded at the maximum note possible for best sampling rate (F#3 if I am not mistaken).

Of course this is a major problem with most Amiga samples, and one I thought would be worth addressing, otherwise Chipsounds could be detuned compared to other VSTis you can use alongside it.

Montreal

As I mention in the docs,  my understanding of the situation:

"Tuning woes: Mod trackers usually didn't enforce a match between a sample and its root key. In the day, when you imported a sample, trackers assumed that its sample rate was 8363Hz and that its root key was C4, regardless of its real internal pitch. For instance a mod track could have been started with a sample containing an F, even though the tracker would assume it was a C. When importing any mod/med/iff file, be aware that you might have to tweak the tuning of each slot manually (using 'Trans' and 'Tune') to match the tuning of other slots."

You can retune the sample, just like you did while importing a sample. The tracker couldnt know what the root pitch was supposed to be right?