Ontario, Canada

I went to back up my EMS cart the other day to find that the USB port wasn't working, I thought it was a software/driver issue at first, but the light doesn't light up when I plug it in and my computer makes an "uh oh" sound.  The cart is otherwise completely functional, but there are a few things on there I would realllly like to back up; does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without wiping the memory, or have the ability to do it and willingness to have me mail it to you and fix it/just back it up and send it back for some kind of fee?

Thanks, y'all.

The led only lights up when the computer has selected the second bank. same as when in gameboy. the software is pretty hard to install. What OS do you have?

matt's mind

the light shouldn't light up at all unless you're in menu 2, so that part isn't so much a problem. 

the computer making a sound is positive though, you're computer is seeing the device at least.  the noise sounds like the driver isn't installed correctly, windows does that for unrecognized devices that windows can't install the driver for.  windows can't auto install this, so that would make some sense.

just speculation though.

the carts work with the transferrer II devices, if anyone has one up and running they could help

Ontario, Canada

I'm on Windows 7, I've gotten the software to work before on this OS and I've done the whole thing where you have to "sign" the drivers or something of that nature with some program; at this point I really don't think that it's a software issue, but I hope I'm wrong.  The funny sound I mentioned earlier also worries me because it never used to do that, even when I had driver/software issues (of which I've had my fair share).

Austin, Texas

Do you get a popup in the status bar? If the driver is working right, it will be detected as an "EMS Inter-link Cable."

I got lucky and it worked for me the first time without too much trouble, in a virtual machine even. hmm

Anyway, this is a shot in the dark, but you could try uninstalling the program and the driver and rebooting your computer to install it fresh again. Either way, it sounds like it's on the computer end and not the cart, so there's probably no cause for panic. smile

On that note, in theory anyone else with a working installation of the EMS software could back your cart up, so if you have a collaborator in the vicinity perhaps you could try it on their computer.

Ontario, Canada

Turns out it was just the driver problem, I used it on my old computer and it worked fine; thanks everyone for convincing me there was nothing wrong with the cart, who knows what I would have tried in my desperation.