Brooklyn

I have a Gameboy Color with Pro Sound Mod and RCA Jack and a Novation Launchpad with ableton but i was wondering how to put these into a live setup for concerts. I want to be able to use ableton Live with my Launchpad and my Gameboy for LSDJ but I dont know what to get for a live setup help me!!!!

p.s. What if i had a original gameboy

Last edited by dw33baz01d (Sep 17, 2012 6:17 am)

Chicago IL

an arduino boy.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I think this thread needs some Dot.AY answers, this used to be his m.o.

I think he did it without midi - just used it for effects and quick stutter/resample effects. Then of course he used ableton synths with the bluetooth/midi guitar hero rig.

Nashville, Tennessee
Saskrotch wrote:

an arduino boy.

yup, that'll do the trick perfectly. there are a few other ways you could do it but an arduinoboy/lsdj^mc2 at least in my experience is definitely the most reliable/cost effective/designed to do just what you're asking.

Brooklyn

My Gameboy doesn't have Midi Support

smiletron wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

an arduino boy.

yup, that'll do the trick perfectly. there are a few other ways you could do it but an arduinoboy/lsdj^mc2 at least in my experience is definitely the most reliable/cost effective/designed to do just what you're asking.

Last edited by dw33baz01d (Sep 17, 2012 6:08 am)

Sydney, NSW
dw33baz01d wrote:

smiletron wrote:

If you want to use the Launchpad to control the Gameboy's playing in real-time, then yeah you'll need MIDI.
Otherwise you can use the Launchpad as a way to trigger effects and shit, like 10k mentioned Dot.AY doing. There's so much you can do with a DAW and controller interface - get creative!

United Kingdom

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/992/f … mpatiable/

Got an arduinoboy for sale at the moment. Has both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. Link cable powered. Made by Nex (Recognized modder in the community).

Shoot an offer if interested. smile This equipment enables your gameboy to have midi function.

Abandoned on Fire
dw33baz01d wrote:

That's what an arduinoboy gives you.  Look it up, it is what you are looking for.

shanghai

if you dont have midi on your gameboy, then simply put, you cant control it  with a launchpad in real time, or use trhe gameboy to control ableton either..........if you think about it logically.......launchpad controls stuff (eg-ableton) via midi signals so its exactly the same way for gameboy. if you're gameboy can not retrive midi clock (or send mid master clock) between itself and ableton then its not possible.

also this:

egr wrote:
dw33baz01d wrote:

That's what an arduinoboy gives you.  Look it up, it is what you are looking for.

Last edited by Downstate (Sep 17, 2012 7:09 am)

shanghai

also, why the need to post this twice in different sections.
you've already been told exactly what you need to do on this thread.
where ever you post this question, the answer is the same. arduinoboy.

Austin, Texas

I don't want to be "that guy," but if you're on the scene and in BRKlyn and you go to shows, then you have probably already seen someone do exactly what you are describing live once or twice.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Fellas, why has this turned into a flame thread? Stay chill and help a n00b. The other thread is long closed.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Even Saskrotch was being civil. . .

Austin, Texas

I wasn't even trying to be a jerk. sad

Anyway, my main point was that Brooklyn has a slammin' scene and that if you keep going to shows you are going to bump into some cool peeps who know this stuff inside and out, and they will show you better than any dudes on the internet possibly could.

shanghai

i was just trying to be clear with the guy..... did i breath flames a little.....ooops
i just remember when i was looking all this shit up and it is super confusing, because there are many methods of doing midi on yer gameboy

his replies imply that he doesnt quite understand that generally the only way you can sync this stuff is through midi. unless you just get really good at whacking space bar to start ableton in time with lsdj i guess.

imo by far the easiest and simplest and reliable would be just to get an arduinoboy.

Brooklyn

yeah I want the Launchpad to trigger effects

Chainsaw Police wrote:
dw33baz01d wrote:

If you want to use the Launchpad to control the Gameboy's playing in real-time, then yeah you'll need MIDI.
Otherwise you can use the Launchpad as a way to trigger effects and shit, like 10k mentioned Dot.AY doing. There's so much you can do with a DAW and controller interface - get creative!