Why is Disney stealing music from tamagotchi? I didn't even know those toys had any music.

Detroit, Michigan
Heosphoros wrote:

Why is Disney stealing music from tamagotchi? I didn't even know those toys had any music.

cant tell if srs or not

hiding under your bed

I find this kind of funny/ironic, seeing as how they recently paid Paul Robertson to animate a character for Gravity Falls.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nDzu3iLQG8

Sweeeeeeden
snesei wrote:

cant tell if srs or not

Come on to the IRC channel. You've got a few things to learn, son.

Liverpool, UK

Did Ryder Ripps of dump.fm license this photo for Anamanaguchi? http://armanipradagucci.com/post/880479 … chi-com-my

Unsubscribe

YOU SEE ITS A STATEMENT BECAUSE THE PHOTO WAS ALREADY STOLEN... enh fuck it.

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted on my facebook:
Isn't it generally legal to compose a sound-alike track to avoid paying licensing?  For instance, the DVD releases of "Married...With Children" with the title music replaced to an original piece that sounds almost identical to "Love And Marriage" since they no longer had the rights to use the actual song and didn't want to pay more for licensing.

Regardless, while it's fun to to get the pitchforks every time someone commits a crime against the chipscene, Disney themselves probably had little to do with the trailer. The higher ups at a corporation that big don't give a fuck about things like trailers to an iPod app. That's low level shit. Controlling and moderating the comments on their YouTube channel is also incredibly low level (they probably have interns doing that shit) and knowing how the Disney company tends to operate I'm going to almost guarantee that they're instructed to remove anything remotely negative from the YouTube comments of any video.

The bottom line is that Anamanaguchi have a manager, pretty sure they have a lawyer or know how to contact one, and it's pretty simple for them to fight this one themselves.

Gosford, Australia
Wizwars wrote:

Originally posted on my facebook:
Isn't it generally legal to compose a sound-alike track to avoid paying licensing?  For instance, the DVD releases of "Married...With Children" with the title music replaced to an original piece that sounds almost identical to "Love And Marriage" since they no longer had the rights to use the actual song and didn't want to pay more for licensing.

i think they do this to circumvent the licensing for the original recording (which can be astronomically expensive), it doesn't automatically abdicate their responsibility to pay mechanical royalties to the songwriter. that part they have to decide for themselves tongue

Los Angeles, CA

If that were the case, they'd just cover the damn song, not compose something that sounds very much like it! tongue

Gosford, Australia

haha yeah i misread that
they're not supposed to do that, but in the end the onus is on the songwriter to do something about it.
men at work just got finished being sued > $20 million for using part of a melody from part of a kid's song in a song they wrote 30 years ago.

Neo Jersey

More like Jet Pack SUES, AMIRITE?

personally i think there's no question at all that it sounds pretty much exactly like Jet Pack Blues, just in a dif key. Now whether or not they "ripped it off" or had the rights to do it is another question... So how about the app itself? does it have any merit for pixel artists? (assuming it lets you draw your own art and not have to use premade disney stuff)

Orange County, CA
HPizzle wrote:

(assuming it lets you draw your own art and not have to use premade disney stuff)

I noticed some drawing bits but to be completely fair drawing on a touch screen is butts.

Milwaukee, WI

How are any of you so sure Disney is even aware of the similarities? Answers should be from the composer of the "royalty-free" tune before anything else.

I equate this to an artist using a sample without telling their label...right before legal shit hits the fan. How the fuck was the label supposed to know?

Last edited by TSC (Sep 19, 2012 4:53 pm)

Milwaukee, WI

...and yes I'm defending Disney. I love sexualized tweens.

God do I ever.

Chicago IL, USA
TSC wrote:

I love sexualized tweens.

God do I ever.

Austin, Texas

Mickey Mouse In Da Club.