Hey!
I want to put a gameboy color in a DMG case, but the connector is too far away so I would probably need to reposition this, but what's the easiest way? Just desolder and add wire?

clovis CA

theres a few things you need to take into account. the gbc uses 2 AA batteries, not 4. how does the cartridge slot fit? how does the power switch and buttons line up? how will you be mounting the gbc lcd? im not saying this cant be done, but i think youd need some serious modding boy pants to be worn wink im sure a heavy amont of epoxy can be used to fit a few things in, but its no simple "switch-a-roo" with that being said. i want you to show me this beast of a color =]

The batteries are not an issue, it's just as simple as just connecting two of the battery slots.
I will keep the button circuit from the old gameboy and connect it to the gbc.
Now, the lcd is about the same size as the dmg so that's not a problem at all.
The power switch, idk. It's not that advanced, I can just move it to where I want it.

The only problem I can think of is how to fit the cartridge connector, since the DMG uses two boards and the gameboy color is only one - it's blocked by the battery box. Now one solution ofc, could be to remove the battery box and maybe use a lithium battery?

clovis CA

what you can do is maybe desolder the existing one, epoxy it in the right position, and solder 32 wires.. but what i was sawying is that the connector for the lcd needs the pcb upside down to connect it too no?

Ooooh, now I understand. But that's not a problem if the cartridge connector is moved!

Also, would this be possible for the buttons?
http://s3.kkloud.com/gett/6HVWc5O/wirin … 5pcik9.png

Cleveland, OH
Dadibom wrote:

Something like that. Yes.
You basically need to move EVERY component that needs plugging in or switching in some way.

justinthursday wrote:
Dadibom wrote:

Something like that. Yes.
You basically need to move EVERY component that needs plugging in or switching in some way.

Okay. Yeah!

Austin, Texas

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I see virtually no advantage to doing this outside of the shock value of a color screen in a DMG case.

Furthermore, most of the components in the CGB are surface mount, meaning it would be a pain in the ass to put as many through-hole wire extensions for board-mount components as you would need to do.

I guess my main point is that you will essentially be performing a downgrade on this game boy for a novelty. Unless you're using the extra space you'd get in the DMG case from doing this to add some seriously out there new circuits, like an internal arduinoboy, an analogue filter, a summing circuit like the PISSBox, et cetera, this seems like an essentially destructive mod where you create a "worst of both worlds" game boy.

Puerto Rico

I was just about to come in saying if he managed this he'd have all the space in the world

› >

Telerophon wrote:

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I see virtually no advantage to doing this outside of the shock value of a color screen in a DMG case.

Furthermore, most of the components in the CGB are surface mount, meaning it would be a pain in the ass to put as many through-hole wire extensions for board-mount components as you would need to do.

I guess my main point is that you will essentially be performing a downgrade on this game boy for a novelty. Unless you're using the extra space you'd get in the DMG case from doing this to add some seriously out there new circuits, like an internal arduinoboy, an analogue filter, a summing circuit like the PISSBox, et cetera, this seems like an essentially destructive mod where you create a "worst of both worlds" game boy.

It looks cooler, that's the advantage. Plus extra space for mods. But wiring together the GBC and DMG controls could be hard, so I don't know anymore. Would be cool though

Brunswick, GA USA
Dadibom wrote:

It looks cooler...

In 1990 I though they looked worse than slide rules and pocket protectors, how times change...

Your project needs a LED or turbo button mod, seriously.

Last edited by chunter (Sep 20, 2012 6:12 pm)

Unsubscribe

heres another reason:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/0 … l_game_boy

Sony PSP: 3 hours, 45 minutes
    Nintendo 3DS: 3 hours, 55 minutes
    Nintendo DSi: 4 hours, 2 minutes
    Nintendo DS Lite (Silver): 4 hours, 30 minutes
    Nintendo 3DS XL: 4 hours, 32 minutes
    Nintendo DS Lite (Yellow): 4 hours, 38 minutes
    Game Boy Advance SP (Backlit): 4 hours, 50 minutes
    Game Boy Micro: 5 hours, 30 minutes
    Nintendo DSi XL: 5 hours, 45 minutes
    Nintendo DS: 6 hours, 1 minute
    Game Boy Advance SP (Frontlit, Black #1): 8 hours, 2 minutes
    Game Boy Advance SP (Frontlit, Black #2): 8 hours, 5 minutes
    Nintendo 3DS with Nyco battery pack: 9 hours, 11 minutes
    Game Boy Advance SP (Frontlit, Silver): 11 hours, 56 minutes
    Nintendo 3DS with Mugen battery pack: 13 hours, 50 minutes
    Game Boy: 15 hours, 30 minutes (interference from child)
    Game Boy Advance: 29 hours, 32 minutes

Game Boy Color: 35 hours, 45 minutes

Orange County, CA
herr_prof wrote:

heres another reason:

Game Boy: 15 hours, 30 minutes (interference from child)
    Game Boy Advance: 29 hours, 32 minutes

Game Boy Color: 35 hours, 45 minutes

I never expected CGB battery to be so good

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Ho. ly. Shit.

› :+:

Orange County, CA
Auxcide wrote:

I still hate batteries though.

so much, but I like having 3 sets of rechargables and 1 backup set of regulars for my DMG's. rotating energy isn't much of a hassle and the life is decent so that rotations aren't like every day. Maybe once a week.