Brunswick, GA USA

Topic covered already: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7823/ … dd-a-drop/

Seattle, WA US

I would normally come to one of these to be a dick like everyone else.. but I'm in a good mood.

Have an understanding of waveforms.. fuck around a lot with the wave channel.. look at normal lsdj tutorials so you have a good understanding of the tracker, and not just how to make a certain sort of song.. use F commands... fuck around more.

My first year of lsdj was essential comprised of me fucking around with the wave channel until I made sounds I liked.. then you can work off of those. Your lsdj "chipstep" is nothing without a hearty wave channel

babylon
Downstate wrote:

JUST MAKE REALLY SHIT MUSIC THAT YOU FIND ANNOYING, REPETITIVE AND YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THIS HORRID THING KNOWN AS CHIP STEP.MAKE SURE YOUR LFO STYLE BASS IS VERY LOUD IN DA MIX AND LOTS OF MED RANGE FREQUENCIES AND NO LOW END BELOW 120HZ, OTHERWISE IT WONT SOUND LIKE A DUCK GETTING RAPED.

no

Chicago IL

figure out how sound works in general

from my experience "step" implies a variation on jungle or drum and bass themes. 

drum and bass is at a fast bpm, maybe from 160-190.  or faster or slower. 

i like 174bpm.  when you write at that speed you can also do beats at 87bpm. 

so, you can have a a hip hop speed beat with drum and bass breaks mixed inside of it.  you can switch back and forth between the two types of beats and run the song at the same tempo. 

if you put raw chip created sound waves over top of hip hop and drum and bass (or jungle) beats it might sound cool.  using an lfo (low frequency oscillator) and other  modulations you can make sounds that morph over time. 

one way to make jungle etc is to sample a bunch of morphing synth sounds and then sequence them over beats. 

to create more complex melodies and harmonics you can use a scale, which is a set of notes that go together.  a scale might be D, F, G, G#, A, C, C#, and then back to D.  if you're song is the D scale i just wrote, you can play around with those notes and it will mostly go together.

Seattle, WA US

"step" these days is referring to the 135-150 bpm range (140 is the standard) when it comes to the "dub" variety.

"Drum""step" is at a dnb pace , typically 170-190 bpm (174-180 being the usual)

yay edm

are you sure?  isn't dub step at the same speed as dnb?

i looked it up on wiki, it looks like you're right.  i thought it was dnb at half time.  the "steps" that i liked were techstep, hipstep, hickstep.. whatever jungle sky happened to be talking about.

Tokyo, Japan

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lsdj+wobble+tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acFkRdMAJ4w

that does seem to be chipstep

São Paulo, Brazil

PULSELOOPER wrote:

the originators.

NC in the US of America
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Wait, so which came first, this or the Captain Planet theme?

Brunswick, GA USA

Sorry about the bump.

Bit wish wrote:

Regular chip is the basic stuff, stuff you wouldn't want to her preforming. i need that danky chip step tongue

Honestly, if you have to ask this question, you're probably not at the point where anyone would want to hear you perform anyhow. That is not meant to be a huge burn, but at the same time it's probably true. Kids getting into chip are always in a rush to "release ep's" and "play shows". Take your time, practice and experiment, then in a year or two start dropping some ep's and playing shows.

SketchMan3 wrote:
PULSELOOPER wrote:

Wait, so which came first, this or the Captain Planet theme?

i'm glad you asked.  actually, they were created by the same lab under the supervision of nu age "experimentalists."   new kids v. captain planet, a common philosophical misconception..  metaphorically, they are the same.