Berkeley, CA

Hi All,

FWIW I finally got the tracker Milkytracker working well on my $35 Raspberry Pi computer.

It seems to work really well and the audio stream works through both HDMI and the 1/8" stereo plug.

This seems like the cheapest way to get going on tracking (chiptune or otherwise), considering the Raspberry Pi is $35 and you can use an old SD Card, Mouse and Keyboard. I assume everyone has a monitor of some sort.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51276066@N … hotostream

If you are going to do to give this a shot, here's what I did
-Install the latest bios
-Use the Debain 'Wheezy' distribution
-Run Milkytracker via "nice -10" to give it the CPU it needs on this weeny little computer
-Install/use alsamixer and use it to make sure the audio levels are adequate

Later,
   Arduinerd

Sweden

Nice! A sort of unrelated question, but have you got Jack to run reasonably on one of these? I have an old headless ARM box (it's a NAS-thingie that I wiped and installed arch on) but Jack just won't work on it.

Berkeley, CA

My primary goal is to learn Milkytracker using the Raspberry Pi. I have not installed any other music software.

shanghai

thats dope. wow. i got run this on my projector and make tunes on the wall for 25 quid. never heard of this before, its quite amazing its so small and can actually run useful software and have audio etc. Good job.

Brazil

The word on the streets is LGPT is working on rPi too.

Unsubscribe

http://www.marc-nostromo.com/?p=169

also

http://www.marc-nostromo.com/?p=158

hi there, i just got my rpi too and planning to run milkytracker there! one question - do i really need to use the debian wheezy? raspbian won't work? if possible i would prefer the latter because of the additional performance benefits.

thanks!

Bratislava, Slovakia

This is hardcore smile I Love LSDJ on my DMG-01 (since i switched from Amiga to PC/Mac in 1998 i was not "tracking"), but i personally try to learn SunVox tracker on iPad mini (on iPhone it was little bit small).

uhajdafdfdfa

i imagine that people with a mouse, keyboard and monitor are quite likely to have a PC too. in which case the raspberry pi is just added expense - but it looks cool! try schism tracker on it and then you don't need a mouse either smile)) it could be good for people who are gigging or going to workshops/PARTIES or whatever (although a netbook should be just as good) smile

but i will stick to my PC/laptop for tracking i think. i own far too many rarely-used techno-objects as it is smile

Berkeley, CA

>do i really need to use the debian wheezy? raspbian won't work?
I don't know how well raspbian will work, I only tried sqeeze and wheezy. Wheezy is the one that worked well.

I see what folks are saying about already having a PC and why would you use a Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is very cheap (about the same price as a DMG on ebay) and has HDMI out. I keep mine plugged into the TV, more as entertainment then as music production.

Sweden

Yeah, this doesn't really have any advantage over using a laptop (except for the link herr_prof provided (!)) for music. For me, I think I'll use it to  replace my current server which is already running Arch Linux ARM (I have been using it since it was an unofficial fork called "plugbox" -- WAY BEFORE IT WAS COOL), with the added advantage that I can use it to play movies on a TV set. It might be useful for me, running DX303 in a remote shell, playing through the stereo while slacking in the sofa without cables all over the floor.

England
Arduinerd wrote:

>do i really need to use the debian wheezy? raspbian won't work?
I don't know how well raspbian will work, I only tried sqeeze and wheezy. Wheezy is the one that worked well.

Debians Wheezy and Squeeze are both flavours of Raspbian.

I love my Rasperry Pi. Anyone who wonders why one should hack around with a RasPi rather than use a PC has never truly got down and dirty with a computer.

United Kingdom

That is great! Suggest you contact MilkyTracker.org to get that pic added to the Platform Coverage screenshots smile

How is the latency btw? Also does the fullscreen option work...

Cheers,
LW.