Inside a Gameboy

Hello peeps smile
What do you think is better?
Composing a song in LIVE mode or in SONG mode?
smile Just a curious question big_smile i seen people do it in live and in song but which one is more
common to use?

smile

Savannah, Georgia

SONG, of course, to prevent fuckups in recording, and also so that you don't have to it all live every time you play the song and edit it. arrange LIVE later if you want to do live sets imo.

Austin, Texas

It's kind of hard to use the interface for tracking in live mode in my opinion, but if someone's found a way to use live mode for tracking and it suits them, that's great.

If you want to see some good examples of how to lay songs out for LIVE mode playback/remixing, check out some of the stuff on LSDSNG Swap, especially Chromacle's stuff.

Also, doesn't this thread belong in Nintendo Handhelds? Just saying.

Last edited by Telerophon (Oct 8, 2012 1:32 am)

Inside a Gameboy

So SONG is the way to go? smile or just a personal prefferance? smile

Aeros wrote:

SONG, of course, to prevent fuckups in recording, and also so that you don't have to it all live every time you play the song and edit it. arrange LIVE later if you want to do live sets imo.

Tokyo, Japan

Edited title for clarity, moved to correct forum. Please make sure your post titles are clear as per the rules. Thanks!

matt's mind

and, will you edit the thread title to be more descriptive?   or else a mod will need to change it...

edit -- haha, nevermind.  thanks lazerbeat!

Savannah, Georgia

generally if you're not playing live shows constantly, then go for SONG mode.

.FILTHadelphia

There was a time I would say compose in SONG then break it up into LIVE but I've been doing just LIVE mode for awhile. This way I can focus in on a specific part of a song and don't have to stop and rewind to edit things. The downside is I tend to forget what needs to be triggered in what order when going back to older songs to practice but using the bookmark feature (B,B,B on a selected chain) definitely helps. I've never had issues during recording because I rarely make mistakes. Since I write in LIVE mode I literally have practiced over and over how the song is going to play live while writing it. It's also going to save some space on your cart.

Last edited by defiantsystems (Oct 8, 2012 1:39 am)

Inside a Gameboy

Sorry i apologize im new :3 wont happen again :3

Lazerbeat wrote:

Edited title for clarity, moved to correct forum. Please make sure your post titles are clear as per the rules. Thanks!

Inside a Gameboy

You got used to LIVE mode tongue
Haha i tried writing on song mode but i just get way to confused with sorting stuff out

defiantsystems wrote:

There was a time I would say compose in SONG then break it up into LIVE but I've been doing just LIVE mode for awhile. This way I can focus in on a specific part of a song and don't have to stop and rewind to edit things. The downside is I tend to forget what needs to be triggered in what order when going back to older songs to practice but using the bookmark feature (B,B,B on a selected chain) definitely helps. I've never had issues during recording because I rarely make mistakes. Since I write in LIVE mode I literally have practiced over and over how the song is going to play live while writing it. It's also going to save some space on your cart.

Austin, Texas

In theory, I like to do it both ways, and write the top half of the song as the "record version" that is sequenced to play by itself, and then copy/paste stuff into specific pattern blocks below that for doing live cuts later.

That is a trick I 100% lifted from Chromacle. For real, get on LSDSNG swap and check out some other people's LSDSNGs.

Mine suck though, don't actually listen to mine. tongue

Do feel free to use the kits I've made, though. big_smile

Unsubscribe

I jam it out in live mode, and then cut and tighten the arrangement into song mode for recording and playback. Also that way you can sync the dmg to your daw and record each channel solo'd.

.FILTHadelphia

Depends on your setup and what you want to do. Currently I just play the song live by triggering parts in and out, soloing and muting channels. I tend not to have enough time to edit things on the fly because I usually have to trigger something else before I could do any coherent editing.

babylon

honestly i do everything in song and then cut it up into measures and use live mode for the occasional gig. usually though this is more so i can look busy but comes in handy if i want to loop something or skip something depending on crowd reaction. i hate writing in live mode though cause i end going back and forth to hear what im doing on a chain against the rest of the song, especially cause i use a lot of two channel snares.

washington

Live mode is cool when you're running one gameboy. But trust me-If you're running more than one gameboy, shit gets frantic.

México, DF.

Always live mode.