Philly/NY

I'm torn when it comes to Lagrange Point. It obviously sounds amazing for the NES and the songs are all great. The intro song is my favorite:

On the other hand, to me, it just doesn't sound quite "NES-y" enough. For example, Gimmick, which I feel is the highest point in NES game music, uses an expansion chip, yet still retains that distinct NES sound. Lagrange is all FM and no pulse, triangle, etc. - and missing that, it sounds more like the Genesis. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Bottom line: the soundtrack rules, but if I saw it on a top 10 list of NES music, I would feel like it's out of place.

Philly

I feel despite being incredibly upbeat, all the music from Kirby's Adventure is incredibly hard hitting.  Brilliant accents, dynamics and arpeggios (like how pianos use it, not the typical chip sorts).

Top 3 Favorite NES songs:

Last edited by PlainFlavored (Mar 5, 2010 10:26 pm)

Lawrenceville, GA

Ironically enough the Kirby one is a cover of the Game Boy game song big_smile

My faves are...

ALSO, various mega man songs that everyone knows:

shadow, needle, flash, heat, bubble, spark, gemini, pharoah, gravity, knight to name a few.

Asterix credits would be up there, but i couldn't find a good youtube of it (one was up but it's very badly done... crazy bad volume compression).
Also shatterhand's music is great in general.
And most of Kirby's Adventure belongs here too.

Cocoron has some really catchy tracks. Really fun game, too.

philly

Great thread!

Lazerbeat wrote:

Yah. I'm a bit suspect due to the lack of Lagrange and the Silver Surfer at 27 thing

For the skeptics of the Shizz Top 30, there's a review of the list itself there that talks about the pros + cons of how the voting / consensus worked. It's not meant to be definitive in any way (not possible!), but hopefully a fairly well balanced list of classics with a respectable amount of surface digging in there too. Believe me, I wrote all the reviews and hosted the thing, and lots of my favorites didn't make it. But if you've got some time to kill, I encourage giving it a read, I'd like to think I provided some interesting information on some. smile

Here's some of my favorite stuff-

Overlord. Composed by Jeroen Tel- has one of the best NES title screen songs ever!

Pretty awesome game over theme too-

Last edited by bucky (Mar 8, 2010 10:13 am)

philly

Gremlins 2 - Another one of the crucial DPCM bass soundtracks from Sunsoft. (Gimmick, Hebereke, Batman RotJ, Journey to Silius, Super Spy Hunter, Pescatore... all so good!)

philly

Snake's Revenge - One of my favorite Konami-style soundtracks.

philly

lol sorry for the spamming, I promise this is all for right now.

I've been uploading a bunch of Follin stuff, it's my goal to make it so that every NES Follin track is immediately accessible on youtube. And we're almost there...!

Last edited by bucky (Mar 8, 2010 9:57 am)

astral cat

keep em coming bucky smile

Philly/NY

Aw shit, bucky's finally in this thread. Now it's for real!

an-cat-max wrote:

keep em coming bucky smile

MOOOOOAR!

Austin, TX
bucky wrote:

I've been uploading a bunch of Follin stuff, it's my goal to make it so that every NES Follin track is immediately accessible on youtube. And we're almost there...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bWV2kC8ZG4

I suck at internet and don't know how to embed the video in the post, but its PICTIONARY

Last edited by Sievert (Mar 8, 2010 2:40 pm)

Austin, TX

I'd also like to point out Jurassic Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4kqZuA8 … re=related

not all of the songs are good but the ones that are are really great!

astral cat

Montréal

Otocky from Famicom Disk System (does that count ?)
Somewhere between a Shmup and a Musical Software. Music is all generative and sound design is by ... . Toshio Iwai (the guy who created electroplankton)

I haven't finished it but apparently at the end you unlock a music editor for composing your own songs.

Last edited by Zombipnok (Mar 14, 2010 12:51 am)