rochester, ny
Saskrotch wrote:
zerolanding wrote:

I still believe that with a combined knowledge of snes, super gameboy, and patience a .gb rom could be made that would combine the awesomeness of both systems. The gameboy programming manual says that one can diddle the other and that midi thru is doable. Sure it sounds like a coding nightmare, but that existing would be just neato. oh and this Kankichi-kun, anybody run into this? Manual says it's the tool for creating the snes scores, and google is not being too kind with it.

You'd need a place keep the samples for the SNES to play. So you'd at the very least, have to make a hardware modified version of the Super Game Boy with a place to put them. And probably have to alter the BIOS so it knows to send the incoming commands from the GB to where ever the samples are going to be.

have you seen this article?

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/24248 … aying-with

maybe i'm misreading it but it seems to suggest that the samples can be stored on the gameboy rom.

I'm amazed and quite pleased to see Ongaku Tukoolu Kanadeelu; is it just me or has that never been mentioned in any SNES thread here or on 8bc before now...?

Chicago IL
nickmaynard wrote:

maybe i'm misreading it but it seems to suggest that the samples can be stored on the gameboy rom.

yeah i read it and then i ignored it so i could be wrong and have someone point it out to me

no, i hadn't seen it

nickmaynard wrote:
Saskrotch wrote:

You'd need a place keep the samples for the SNES to play. So you'd at the very least, have to make a hardware modified version of the Super Game Boy with a place to put them. And probably have to alter the BIOS so it knows to send the incoming commands from the GB to where ever the samples are going to be.

Yeah, that came in mind with me too. Still, You'd have to write a whole new program. And upload the samples to your gb cart, which could be full quite fast that way.

but it has potential smile

-edit-
reading the whole thing again, it's kinda sad that there was so much they could've done with the super gameboy, but never really did.
Although most of it makes sense. Since space was limited, and time to write new sounds and graphics just so it would look cool in a super nes was probably not worth it.
but still, there are a lot of nerds nowadays with too much time on their hands, and it's a awesome field to explore tongue

-more edits-

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/23504 … troduction
here's the first blog in the series. It's quite an interesting read.

Also, she mentions on there that there was a space invaders game that basically had a snes rom build in, which got loaded by the snes using the super gameboy. Since most gb flashcarts are now about 64M, space isn't really much of an issue anymore. Would it be possible to turn a super gameboy with a gb flashcart into some sort of cheap Snes flashcart?

like...
1. take a snes rom
2. Compile a .gb file which takes the snes rom, and loads it into the snes using the super gameboy.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Last edited by Timbob (Oct 23, 2012 9:48 pm)

Easton, PA, USA
Saskrotch wrote:

The manual says the sgb sound program goes straight to the APU on start up, where it has control of 73 pre-loaded sounds at 4 intervals and 3 volume settings (sounds like the WAV channel in LSDJ?)
If the game is sgb compatible, like animaniacs there should be commands buried in there for sgb, so yeah on the altered BIOS. Having a pre-established set to attack is a bit better. Considering the score data was premade for the snes before being loaded on the cart that gb to snes interface would still be nuts.

Sweden
Timbob wrote:

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/23504 … troduction
here's the first blog in the series. It's quite an interesting read.

Also, she mentions on there that there was a space invaders game that basically had a snes rom build in, which got loaded by the snes using the super gameboy. Since most gb flashcarts are now about 64M, space isn't really much of an issue anymore. Would it be possible to turn a super gameboy with a gb flashcart into some sort of cheap Snes flashcart?

like...
1. take a snes rom
2. Compile a .gb file which takes the snes rom, and loads it into the snes using the super gameboy.
3. ???
4. Profit!

AFAIK it loads the game data into RAM, then that's that. There's not a lot of RAM!

Hmm, True. But it should be enough for a simple music player.

Wikipedia tells me it's 128kb... Should be enough for some sounds smile

Last edited by Timbob (Oct 24, 2012 9:49 am)