Tempe, AZ

Newbie here, I have a couple of junk DMG's one turns on but has a blank lcd screen. Sometimes it kinda flickers and I can  get a display for a few seconds? I'm still waiting on my tri-wing screw driver to come in so I cant quite take a clooser look and post pictures yet (sorry). But once I get it open how should I go about making this fix? Are there parts that just need to be re-grounded and cleaned? Or am I gonna have to swap out the whole front board? Im pretty new to this. Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by TeddyBearCedenski (Oct 13, 2012 5:02 pm)

Chicago

Sounds like a bum ribbon cable ( the one that connects the front to the back PCB). When you get the case open more often then not in my experience you can position the front at a certain position / angle to receive the screen data. Techincally you could remove the cable and solder a new one from a donor. I wouldn't reccomend this as a first solder project, there's a lot of pads right underneath the lcd's glass.

99% chance you'll end up having to swap out a front board.

Tempe, AZ

So my options are to either swap the ribbon that connects the front and the back boards. Or the whole entire front board. This cable cable can it be disconnected by hand? Either way I'm going to have to do some soldering right?  Can someone elaborate on this cable for me please? And thank you btw

Chicago

replacing the ribbon cable is a rather difficult soldering process, I did it one time to see if it would work and it did but its not something I would recommend. Its a much simpler and stress free solution to just swap out the front board from a working gameboy.

It would be this white cable.

Tempe, AZ

Awesome. Thanks Guys