Murcia, Spain

Hello everyone!
I found yesterday this thing on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzqrMC1c … ature=plcp

It's damn cool. In the description there's a link to a rough hand-made schematic on which I don't understand certain things. I was wondering if, by chance, someone had a clearer schematic. I want this to be my next project : )
Thank you!

Czech Republic

Just google for Babystep sequencer or 4017 step sequencer or something similar (seqencer part) and atari punk consle or 555 oscilator for oscilator part...
there are tons of schematics for this

Murcia, Spain

Thank you ryba for your answer. My problem here is that I'm quite new to electronics and although I see the one I ask for is like a fusion of the two circuits, I think I might not be able to mix them myself properly.

Tokyo, Japan

edited for clarity

Murcia, Spain
Lazerbeat wrote:

edited for clarity

I think your message got lost : /

Tokyo, Japan

How do you mean? I can edit it again if you like!

Washington / California
DogTag wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

edited for clarity

I think your message got lost : /

He edited your original post title so that it was more clear.

I doubt that a more clear version of this particular schematic exists, but I bet you could find a similar mod that has a better drawn schematic

Last edited by TERADAKTYLE (Oct 16, 2012 3:50 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Oh sorry! I thought Lazerbeat was referring to his own post : P

Murcia, Spain

This is not the exact schematic I was looking for, but for a standard atari punk console it does seem to work:
http://blog.makezine.com/2011/09/13/col … k-console/

The only thing I don't understand here is how the output jack is connected. I suppose that in this case it's a stereo (though I think mono should be enough?) but I don't get the connections looking at the schematic. Any help?

Czech republic

The schematics you posted are a bit gheto but quite usable. What exactly don't you understand?
Here is the tempo / sequencer part. It has 10 instead of 4 steps but otherwise works the same:

You need to add pots to the outputs (between each led and coresponding ic pin - check your schematics for that) and then sum the signal from leds and route it to pin 2 of your APC.

Last edited by ashimoke (Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm)

Czech republic
DogTag wrote:

This is not the exact schematic I was looking for, but for a standard atari punk console it does seem to work:
http://blog.makezine.com/2011/09/13/col … k-console/

The only thing I don't understand here is how the output jack is connected. I suppose that in this case it's a stereo (though I think mono should be enough?) but I don't get the connections looking at the schematic. Any help?

It is mono jack with switch. Don't bother with this. Buy mono jack - one lug to ground, the other one to APC smile

Murcia, Spain

What I don't understand is how the output should be connected. Apparently there are 3 pins and only one and ground connected. Should that be enough?
Thank you for that schematic ashimoke! So basically the wire connecting to ground after the 1K resistor connected to pin 2 of the APC should make it?
And a stupid question added: Shouldn't those LED's have a protective resistor?
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Got the jack thing! Thanks!

Last edited by DogTag (Oct 16, 2012 4:26 pm)

IL, US

Yeah that's enough, that's just mono and ground

Czech republic
DogTag wrote:

So basically the wire connecting to ground after the 1K resistor connected to pin 2 of the APC should make it? Shouldn't those LED's have a protective resistor?

I forgot to say that in your case you don't need the LEDs as an output. You replace them with singal diode. In the original schematics he used 1N4148. When you look at that schematics at the lower part you'll see: 4 diodes, 4 potentiometers, 4 switches all connected to 4 pins of the 4017 ic. My schematics do the same, you just have to replace the LEDs with regular signal diodes and add the potentiometers. The switches are optional - it allows you to turn specific note on and off.
This is pinout of the sequencer ic:

The connection is depending on how many steps you want. If you want 8 steps you need to connect the 9th output (marked Q8) to reset pin so it cycles. If you want 4 steps you need to reset from 5th output (Q4).
Hope that makes sense.

edit: stupid gif.. just click it

edit2: sorry - got the numbers corrected

Last edited by ashimoke (Oct 16, 2012 4:44 pm)

Murcia, Spain

Sorry ashimoke but I must be missing something. Which schematic is the "original schematic" you are meaning? I can't find any diodes or switches in the schematics you've posted so far...
And why don't need the LED's? I liked the lightning dance xD

Czech republic

By original I mean the one you refered to in your first post.