Canada

Hi all,

I'm looking for any advice on how a fella who is pretty confused about FM synthesis can learn; I'm in no rush. Just got into YM2612 tracking (DeffleMask, VGMmaker) and I've just been turning knobs to get the sounds I want (with a small success rate).

I've found this article:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr00/a … ecrets.htm

Any thoughts/experiences you can share, I would greatly appreciate.

big_smile

My advice is start out with FM8 for learning the fundamentals. It has a great interface thanks in no small part to the matrix window and gives you a much better overview of how things affect eachother. Then you'll have an easier time applying that knowledge to other synthesizers like the YM2612.

Tokyo, Japan

No idea why but my iPhone isn't letting me copy links. Search for "fm synthesis" there is a six page thread on this forum with some videos I made and other ideas from other people. Great video from virt in there too!

Tokyo, Japan

No idea why but my iPhone isn't letting me copy links. Search for "fm synthesis" there is a six page thread on this forum with some videos I made and other ideas from other people. Great video from virt in there too!

NC in the US of America

This video was pretty useful in explaining how it works.

Canada
Lazerbeat wrote:

Oh wow, sweet.

Thanks Lazerbeat

Planet Zaxxon

Here ya go! maybe this will give some background and what FM is about

Tokyo, Japan

Also, if you have questions, fire away. O2star and i know a little fm, and there are a couple of others about too!

Praha, Czech republic

Yup, I've done some OPL programming. Never tried working with OPN sadly, but still. Favorited this thread to answer potential general FM questions :]