Hey guys!

I dunno why I didn't have an account here yet since I know some of you people, but now I do!  And I figure a good way to start out is by saying hi folks, and to also start off w/ giving some solid info on a project that some of you probably already know about that I'm helping to run.  There's a lot of information because, honestly a lot of stuff has been going on and coming up, and we've had to relay this stuff quite a bit, so hopefully it's not an overload!  :U

First:

The SNESology "Guess that SNES Game" Contest is underway!

Deadline is November 1st @ 12:00 AM EST!  You get a song of any game/genre request if you win, and you get it played by Shnabubula on piano, and named after or by you.  If I wasn't running it, I'd be entering it myself lol.

So go here and give it a shot

Anyway, onto the meat of what we're about:

SNESology!

SNESology is a collection of diverse original tracks made with soundsets developed to emulate classic SNES era game music.  Currently, we are making our own custom and private soundsets that we send out in .nki format. (we prefer this over soundfont)  Failing this, we accept soundfont entries as well as those made in .spc format (as long as it is subbed as an mp3).

Headed and started in May by Shnabubula (who had previously done several SNES songs over the years), he has since invited many musical artists from around the community to produce their own SNES music w/ soundsets created by himself w/ the help of Alex Roe.

Featured Artists:

Shnabubula
Monobrow
some1namedjeff (Jeff Ball)
RoeTaKa (Alex Roe)
Velathnos
Pongball
Long Dao
Toby "Radiation" Fox
mv (Xavier Dang)
Meteo Xavier
coda
+ a lot more on the way

Info:

Not to be confused w/ Shnabubula's initial SNESology album (which is quite rad), BUT to be associated, this thread is all inclusive for whichever related links/videos/releases/press we receive in regard to SNESology.

Coming Soon:

*Halloween - OooOoooooOooooOoo
*Contest results & prizes - deadline Nov. 1st
*Website is underway - domains are officially ours, and work has resumed to be complete w/ forums, music sharing, collaboration, for the 16 bit community smile
*SNESology VSTi
*Soundfont & Kontakt formats released publically
*Compilation & Themed Albums - feel free to inquire privately w/ me if you are interested

Press:

*1up.com
*Destructiod
*8bitfix

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Lastly, WE HAVE OPEN RECRUITMENT, so please join us!  We do however require the following to get a post on SNESology, as relayed in Our Mission.  Sorry if it seems long, it's not as bad as all these words!

--  Adherence to the capabilities of the Super Nintendo SMP (we realize that we are working w/ ripped samples, but do your best).
--  Limit of 8 simultaneous channels (7 is recommended) - This is because many games reserved a spot for SFX.  And delay always counts.
--  No post processing FX such as reverb, chorus, stereo fx, w/ limited EQ or compression (to follow the SMP frequency limitations) - why cheat?
--  However individual channel or note panning, volume automation, delay (echo), velocity, pitch, etc is fine.  Just rule of thumb, if it sounds like it can be done by the SNES to us, you're good.
--  You can combine game sample libraries - who didn't want to do this?
--  Looping or non looping are both fine
--   Songs made w/ .nki, soundfonts, or mp3s from actual .spc format are all accepted at this time smile
--  An unlisted YouTube video needs to be made w/ SNESology in the title, a link to your mp3 (we can also host it for you), and say something about your song!  We post it, go public, and you're done!
--  Although it is a subjective matter, we do have something of a "good music" standard, so whatever you make, please try your best.  We can always work with you and help you out if you have questions, need advice, critique, or have any opinions to offer yourself.
--  All songs are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

And that's it!  If you have any questions or wanna do stuff w/ us, please let me know, either here, on FB, e-mail, or privately.

Links:

SNESology Website In Progress!
SNESology on TUMBLR
SNESology fan page on FACEBOOK
SNESology YouTube Playlist
SNES Generation Playlist - New Game Remixes, SNES samples.
Contact Us!

SNESology Facebook Group - For 16 bit music love, sharing, critique, opinions, and community!  Open to the public, invite your friends!

Man it look a long time to write that lol... Thanks dudes!  If you have any questions/comments feel free.

p.s. I hope I posted this in the right forum

Last edited by Monobrow (Oct 28, 2012 12:17 am)

Chicago IL

I have a track I kept thinking about sending in, but It's got a lot of mastering on it and might use more than 8 samples at a time, and i'm too lazy to go back and change it.

http://saskrotch.bandcamp.com/track/alt … sic-unused

edit: sorry, didn't mean to just spam. what i meant was, would this track be worth dressing down for SNESology?

Last edited by Saskrotch (Oct 28, 2012 12:40 am)

Yeah I think so, the ending is badass!  The only problem I'd forsee is cleaning up w/ parts where a ton is going on.  You'd have to get choosy, and just from listening I think some parts would be a real challenge.

But if that's too hard, we can always accept something new and fresh by you.  Songs like that can be really challenge to keep under 8, but I know someone who is working on something similar that has so far kept it under.

This is definitely a style we need more of though!

It's up to you but if you want help w/ crits etc we're around!

Last edited by Monobrow (Oct 28, 2012 12:57 am)