Greenland

I have a problem with LSDj, I hope you can (and are willing to) help me. And that this is the right section of the forum. I already searched the forum for a thread that helps, but did not find anything.

I noticed that there is a clicking/popping noise at the at of each bass note on the wav channel. In my current piece the wav instrument is quite loud, so the noise is audible even when all the other instruments are playing. It is rather vexing.
Here is a link to a short recording I made in order to demonstrate the problem. At the beginning there is only the wav bass on, then i added drums and pulse channels. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37447205/mp3%20 … 20test.mp3

My setup is 1x DMG with LSDj, which is routed into my DAW (ableton) with which I can add filters, effects, compression and the like. I want to be able to play live with this setup, so i can not just record every channel separately and filter the noise out.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: instrument data.

instrument screen:

type: wave
volume: 3
vib. type: triangular (as in, neither "HF triangular" nor saw nor pulse)
synth: 5
play: manual
length: F
repeat: 9
speed: 4
automate: off
table: 01

table 01: K-command at A (tried deleting the K-command altogether, but did not do the trick)

Last edited by Direktor (Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm)

Could you post the patch here?
Just all the synth and instrument data. Might help.

.FILTHadelphia

I say embrace it.

England
defiantsystems wrote:

I say embrace it.

totally

get it in time with the percussion

but the gameboy will click if you use the volume column in a table on an instrument or panning.

Greenland
Jellica wrote:

get it in time with the percussion

What do you mean exactly? There already is a percussion hit on every 8th note, and the wave instrument is in an 8th note rhythm (mostly)

But, thank you for your answers so far. If there is no remedy, and YOU can embrace it, i will embrace it, too. I am not making game boy music because of that clean sound ;-)

Last edited by Direktor (Oct 28, 2012 7:02 pm)

Brooklon

Masking the click like Jellica suggests, by timing the clicks with percussive elements, is a good way to hide clicks and pops (especially those associated with O commands). Maybe try replacing the K00 with E00 followed by an H command? Or maybe since you are running the patch on manual, pop an F command right before the K - play with the F value until you minimize the click? But that will most likely result in another click. Idk. You have a few different options.

Otherwise you could always go the bug as feature route and turn it into a percussive element smile

Last edited by Note! (Oct 28, 2012 7:25 pm)

NC in the US of America

Embrace it. Embrace. Join us. You must join us.

Greenland
Note! wrote:

Maybe try replacing the K00 with E00 followed by an H command? Or maybe since you are running the patch on manual, pop an F command right before the K - play with the F value until you minimize the click? But that will most likely result in another click. Idk. You have a few different options.

I tried both; the F command (F00 through F0F) only increased the volume of the clicks, the E00 + H command did nothing; according to the manual, E commands adjust the release on pulse and noise channels - but on the wave channel, they just adjust the volume in 4 steps, which did not really help. I tried putting E02 at position 9, E01 at A and E00 at B, which does seem to soften the clicks, but only by so much that I might just be imagining it.
The detailed description is appreciated, though!

Last edited by Direktor (Oct 28, 2012 8:18 pm)

Greenland

THE NOISE. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. WE MUST JOIN. WE WILL REJOICE.

Greenland

Rejoice! I finished the composition (mostly) for which I used the instrument in question. It was greatly delayed by broken sav files.

http://chipmusic.org/direktor/music/top-hat

I can not stress enough how much I appreciate your help.

Radical! Direktor is your icon reminiscent of a midnight crew/felt or is it coincidence?

Greenland
Toastypinecone wrote:

Radical! Direktor is your icon reminiscent of a midnight crew/felt or is it coincidence?

It is indeed inspired by homestuck, but it is supposed to be an imp. You know, those ghastly rascals that John has to fight against at first? The clothing makes it look midnight-crewish, though.

Puerto Rico

It's funny how everyone complains about the wav clicks at some point, I would have never noticed if I didn't see a thread about it once.

Direktor: it looks like 100% like Clubs Deuce to me.