I've tried WAV2GB 0.2b, but each time I get the same error: "Checking filetype of souldfile: Error on opening: soundfile"

I've tried emailing the author but his email doesn't work.

I'm hoping to convert some audio for a GameBoy project of mine.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Abandoned on Fire

What is your end goal?  To play audio on the GB or to make audio "sound like a GB"?

Reading through the information and tutorials on this site should help either way:  http://code.google.com/p/lsdpatch/

Sweeeeeeden

Try using sox, which is a utility for converting audio files.

sox in.wav -b 4 -c 1 --rate 11468 out.raw

-b 4 = 4 bit
-c 1 = mono
--rate 11468 = the sample rate. This depends on your wave playback driver. The value 11468 is correct for LSDj.

I am making a GameBoy rom, and want to have intro music and "stage" music.
I will look into your suggestions and keep you posted. Thank you!

So I followed the directions, and here's what I got:
"
sox WARN formats: raw can't encode to 4-bit
sox WARN rate: rate clipped 1 samples; decrease volume?
sox WARN dither: dither clipped 1 samples; decrease volume?
"

Any ideas?

Chicago IL

wait, are you trying to have the wav channel play a whole song

Sweeeeeeden

Oh sorry. Yeah, that didn't work out. I missed that error when trying the command. (The first one. The last two errors are harmless in this case.)

NC in the US of America

So you're trying to have a pure wave sample for the music rather than implementing the two pulse channels and noise+wave channel?

Basically, I recorded a short wav sample from MAME from an arcade game I am trying to de-make for the GameBoy.
I am looking for a way to convert sounds and music for use in this GameBoy project to play on a real GameBoy.

I am hoping to find some kind of conversion tool that can take the original sounds and translate them for use in assembly code.

hardcore, Australia

I couldn't find the appropriate "thisguy.jpg" so have this.

A gray world of dread
paulc wrote:

Basically, I recorded a short wav sample from MAME from an arcade game I am trying to de-make for the GameBoy.
I am looking for a way to convert sounds and music for use in this GameBoy project to play on a real GameBoy.

I am hoping to find some kind of conversion tool that can take the original sounds and translate them for use in assembly code.

The only available tool to do this adequately is a human brain. Some programs to recognize pitch/time etc exist, but the results will not satisfy you. Further, I guess that the sample comes from a commercial game? If so, you would taint your project with possible copyright troubles.

My advice is to find a musician in a dedicated community (like, this forum) and ask to create SFX and music for you, if you can't do it yourself.

BK

I think you'll probably have issues fitting full length songs as audio samples into the space you're given for a ROM...If this was possible I bet you a lot more of the devs who coded GB games would have done it. You should be able to use the short samples but of course the copyright issue mentioned above comes into play.

Sweden

I think that if you can't convert the audio and make a playback routine yourself, whatever project you have in mind will be a tough one.

I'm all for making the music myself. I was just hoping that some of these wav converters would help.

I'm just curious if the wav converter programs have worked for anyone else, because I haven't had any luck with them.

For example, there is a bell sound that is 3 seconds long that I tried to convert, but no luck. I'm not necessarily looking to record 3+ minute full tracks.

So no one here has used MegaMan_X's wav converter? Seriously?

Buenos Aires, Argentina

This is a joke or I don't get it?

You can't convert a wav to the "Game Boy Format", because there's not a "Game Boy Format" or something similar.
The Game Boy plays music using instructions, commands, code, register writes, you should use a tracker or code yourself the player routine and the songs in Z80's asm.

Last edited by Delek (Nov 2, 2012 8:28 pm)

Sorry guys, please let me clarify.

Researching how to program GameBoy, I came across software that appears to allow you to take WAV files and convert them for use in a ROM project.

EXAMPLE:

MM_X's GameBoy Wave Convertor - Posted by: Jeff Frohwein
One program allows you to convert raw 8-bit audio files to GB format wave files that can be played on the GB by dynamically updating GB wave RAM memory ($ff30-$ff3f). Two programs are included in this freeware DOS package. RAW soundfile to GameBoy 4-bit (also "packs" nibbles together), GameBoy 4-bit to RAW soundfile ("unpacks" nibbles). It runs fine in a Win95 DOS box.

Source: http://devrs.com/gb/software.php#misc

Here is a link explaining how to install it:
http://cratel.wichita.edu/cratel/ECE238 … dioSamples

There's also another program:
Graham's Tool - Posted by: Jeff Frohwein
Here's windows software to convert .wav files to 4-bit GB format & Visual Basic source code. Other info can be found here as well.

Now is there something that these sites are not explaining about the sound files? It sounds like you can take a WAV file and then convert it for use in programming.