The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Damn, I can't see Peter's image. And I was ever so looking forward to it.

Edit: lul found it.

Last edited by Auxcide (Nov 6, 2012 4:59 am)

NC in the US of America
danimal cannon wrote:

I think the most important part is that we're not making videogame music.

yes. that's very important.

It'd be cool to see a game with a "modern" chiptune soundtrack for a change instead of just the retro-styled stuff. Just throwing that out there...

México, DF.
danimal cannon wrote:

THIS.

Scotland
bryface wrote:
VCMG wrote:

Why does it matter if something's not "keeping with original GameBoy and NES music"? Your argument seems to be that 2xLSDJ is inferior (is inferior the right word?) to 1xLSDJ only because it doesn't have the same nostalgia or authenticity factor as a "pure" track that uses exactly what a composer did in its golden age.

Maybe it's because I entered this scene without much connection or nostalgia for these machines, but I just don't see why this adherence to an old standard matters so much.

for many of us, the appeal of the music is actually more than just the sonic aesthetics of bleeps and bloops.  the hardware and software restrictions are also large parts of its identity.  when the hardware limitations are not respected, it undermines the song's status as a musical piece that was composed in such a way to overcome limitations.

of course, i'm not saying it takes away from its overall worth as a track, just that there's a certain point where you begin to have a tradeoff of certain aspects of a song that add to its value.

take the case of 2 x LSDJ:
- more channels can make a song more impressive by virtue of thoughtful usage of the extra channels
- it can no longer be appreciated as a 1xLSDJ track
- BUT it can still be appreciated in a class of its own, with its own set advantages and limitations
- appreciation will increase over time as more listeners become familiar with the pros and cons of a 2xLSDJ setup.

right, exactly what you said. i was a bit flowery with it, but you honed it down.

Nottingham, UK

Lets combine whatever we feel like in our own music, in whichever way we see fit and let other people worry about the "how"'s and the "why"'s and the defences and the justifications.

Scotland
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Lets combine whatever we feel like in our own music, in whichever way we see fit and let other people worry about the "how"'s and the "why"'s and the defences and the justifications.

Now that's just silly. If we didn't attempt to question everything, we wouldn't get anywhere. I think it's important to know where your music stands in context, and why you make it.

Freiburg, Germany
SketchMan3 wrote:

It'd be cool to see a game with a "modern" chiptune soundtrack for a change instead of just the retro-styled stuff. Just throwing that out there...

Do you mean like in the second half of the Edge trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_aB_ZkonGw#t=42s

Marseille

Sounds like a pain in the ass and a shot in the foot to use more than 1 lsdj. it deletes the whole point with making music on a limited platform and the fun of doing so. just my 2 öre

ohio gozaimasu

People use whatever hardware they want to get whatever sound they want. Not much else to it.

Canada

It's getting kind of annoying...
I don't HAVE to read it, obviously, but I guess I don't think that this is THAT big of a deal.

Mannheim, Germany

seems like most of the discussion boils down to "fucking label that shit correctly"

San Diego, CA

You know your scene is legit when you have to start justifying your hardware/software choices for purity's sake.

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Nov 6, 2012 7:43 pm)

Unsubscribe

Seven string basses blow.

Boston, MA
danimal cannon wrote:

Yup yup yup and yup. I noticed some people are implying that breaking away from the limitations faced by the original Game Boy composers is somehow bastardizing the art. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of LSDJ to devote the entirety of the Game Boy's processing power to making music, because there's not an actual game to play? That is to say, you couldn't have a Game Boy game playing with very intricate music running from LSDJ in real-time due to hardware restrictions. For instance, all the crazy WAV channel sound design and massive table arps you see from people like Zef and IAYD couldn't run in real time alongside an original Game Boy game. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but that in and of itself is breaking -way- away from the limitations the original game composers faced. And if we're willing to do that for the sake of the music, why not take it one step further if you want a more expansive sound? You're still using the Game Boy's wonderful low-bit pulses, noise, and WAV effects. You're just widening your instrumentation, which, as many have already pointed out, presents an entirely different and equally frustrating set of challenges with equally rewarding results.

...seriously if it sounds good and uses the soundchip, I don't see a problem at all.

Last edited by Soleviio (Nov 6, 2012 7:55 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Fuck this, I'm going back to just temperament harpsichord.

uhajdafdfdfa

› Show Spoiler

0 x LSDJ

› Show Spoiler

› Show Spoiler

› Show Spoiler

› Show Spoiler