New York City

you guys. chiptune.

Gosford, Australia
10k wrote:

I am so confused by this thread. It's like asking if bands should have one guitarist or two.

always five guitars, at least.

Last edited by Victory Road (Nov 6, 2012 1:33 am)

.FILTHadelphia

Let's all agree that the Gameboy should have featured at least 6 noise channels.

vancouver, canada
Victory Road wrote:
10k wrote:

I am so confused by this thread. It's like asking if bands should have one guitarist or two.

always five guitars, at least.

OR MORE

Madison, Alabama
10k wrote:

I am so confused by this thread. It's like asking if bands should have one guitarist or two. Horses for courses.

Man, me too, and I'm participating in it!  When I clicked on this thread I thought it might be a technical discussion about technique or something, but instead it's people worried about "purity" (who are somehow still okay if you play the guitar, just as long as you're only doing it with one game boy?  Or something like that?) and people worried about 2xLSDJ songs being passed off as 1XLSDJ songs.

4mat wrote:

What I don't get is, why don't more people code their own drivers?  if they're looking for new ideas with the same hardware why not write your own players?   Put some of yourself into the tools you're using, that's something hardly anyone gets to do with real instruments.  All the info is out there and a music driver is probably one of the easier coding tasks to undertake.   (an editor is another matter)

Anyway, enough thread derailing.

I assume you mean audio drivers for the DMG?  How hard would this be for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of coding?  And what might be accomplished with new audio drivers? 

(Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, I was a liberal arts major with a focus on literature and writing.  I make my living writing and editing, and do not know much about software/coding/etc.  But I'd be willing to learn.)

vancouver, canada
lastfuture wrote:
bryface wrote:

take the case of 2 x LSDJ:
- more channels can make a song more impressive by virtue of thoughtful usage of the extra channels
- it can no longer be appreciated as a 1xLSDJ track
- BUT it can still be appreciated in a class of its own, with its own set advantages and limitations
- appreciation will increase over time as more listeners become familiar with the pros and cons of a 2xLSDJ setup.

You're giving listeners a lot of credit. I'll be going out on a limb here and claim that most listeners who are not also Game Boy composers (or at least musicians with technical know how of the platform) won't be able to tell that it was not made on one Game Boy simply by listening. Only the savviest ones will be able to say "meh but it wasn't a 1xLSDJ song... so screw it" if they even care. The average listener will be able to notice a richer soundscape and if it serves the particular song probably enjoy it, too.

i'm just trying to point out that this is how many of the older purists look at chipmusic.   to many, the tools are actually perceived as inseparable from the creation, because the tools' limitations and characteristics are directly responsible for determining the particular qualities of the songs.

i'd like to think that chipmusic differentiates itself from all other kinds of music in that the community tries to disseminate amongst itself a desire to understand the hardware/software.   as a composer, i'd certainly like the listener to gain a greater understanding of the limitations i was subject to, because they more they do, they more they can experience the music in its entirety.

canada

huge paragraph where i reveal my own biased opinion that wailord is not going to read for the life of him.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
wailord wrote:

huge paragraph where i reveal my own biased opinion that wailord is not going to read for the life of him.

tl;dr: One of the internet's most terrible side-effects.

roboctopus wrote:

I assume you mean audio drivers for the DMG?  How hard would this be for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of coding?  And what might be accomplished with new audio drivers? 

(Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, I was a liberal arts major with a focus on literature and writing.  I make my living writing and editing, and do not know much about software/coding/etc.  But I'd be willing to learn.)

First, yay English! big_smile

Second, I'm actually interested to know what 4mat meant as well. If it weren't too much trouble, that side of music production does interest me and I'd be willing to put in the time to learn some simple coding to create a new music tool.

nashville,tn
4mat wrote:

What I don't get is, why don't more people code their own drivers?  if they're looking for new ideas with the same hardware why not write your own players?   Put some of yourself into the tools you're using, that's something hardly anyone gets to do with real instruments.  All the info is out there and a music driver is probably one of the easier coding tasks to undertake.   (an editor is another matter)

Anyway, enough thread derailing.

all dis tread...this iz why i quit teh inernetz  but cant quit, all the arbitrary lines in the sand and the waves keep coming yea?, thats wat 4mats getting at?

buffalo, NY

Can we shit all over Moe Moe Kyunstep for using a VRC6 expansion now?

Unsubscribe

Did he include a sample of farting on a snare drum?

Madison, Alabama
danimal cannon wrote:

I almost compared 2xlsdj to NES and vrc6, but didn't, for fear of the fallout, but yeah, those expansion chips are cheating.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I haven't met anyone who makes 2xlsdj and tries to hide it. They always put it up front because they're proud, it sets them apart from other songs. It's different. Big deal. Live with it.

Unsubscribe
Auxcide wrote:

I haven't met anyone who makes 2xlsdj and tries to hide it. They always put it up front because they're proud, it sets them apart from other songs. It's different. Big deal. Live with it.

NC in the US of America
roboctopus wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

I almost compared 2xlsdj to NES and vrc6, but didn't, for fear of the fallout, but yeah, those expansion chips are cheating.

+1 (Do people still do that?)

i'm just trying to point out that this is how many of the older purists look at chipmusic.   to many, the tools are actually perceived as inseparable from the creation, because the tools' limitations and characteristics are directly responsible for determining the particular qualities of the songs.

i'd like to think that chipmusic differentiates itself from all other kinds of music in that the community tries to disseminate amongst itself a desire to understand the hardware/software.   as a composer, i'd certainly like the listener to gain a greater understanding of the limitations i was subject to, because they more they do, they more they can experience the music in its entirety.

I'd just like to point out two things:

1. LSDJ was designed with LINK CABLE capabilities, so technically 2xLSDJ is not "cheating" as the "tool" was made to be expandable to another Gameboy. Right?

2. Hirokazu Tanaka did not use LSDJ to make Gameboy music, and Koji Kondo did not use Famitracker to make NES music. I don't know anything about the Amigas and Ataris and stuff, though.

This thread is inert.

Come to think of it, they should have made "Donkey Kong Land" 2 players with a cable, and had player 2's gameboy add pulse kicks, arps and synthy padding to the soundtrack. Duuude...

buffalo, NY

I think the most important part is that we're not making videogame music.