Sacramento, Ca

So I've recently followed a tutorial in order to prosound my dmg-01.
tutorial: http://the.fontvir.us/b10g/?id=119

I understand that by doing so I am now bypassing the headphone amp, thus resulting in a lower volume if I use headphones in my new jack.

If hooking it up through my stereo or other means, I can crank it, and/or record it out to my computer for further workings.

After I finished the mod, I used my headphones (out of convenience) just to test if it was working at all. It is, but I am just a little puzzled on one thing.
The left speaker, channel, or what ever you may call it is significantly louder than the right. I shouldn't complain until I truly test it but does this seem like another issue that I'm having? Shouldn't the headphones at least have a even balance of volume? or could it be that the lack of the headphone amp is causing the unbalance to be there?

The balance should be even.
There's a number of things that could've gone wrong.

Did you install the prosound pre or post pot (does the volume slider effect the prosound as well?)
If you installed it post pot. It could be the volume slider itself. Try to connect the prosound to the top 2 points near the pot.

Maybe you've got a bad solder joint somewhere. you could reflow the solder on all connections.

Or maybe it's just a wire that's a bit iffy.

Or last option. It's your headphone wink

edit:

all the connections for different pro-sound points.

Last edited by Timbob (Nov 6, 2012 9:36 am)

Sacramento, Ca

Yes the slider does effect the prosound. Is that a bad thing?

I'll try and resolder the wires onto the top two (pre pots) because I currently have them attached to the post. By doing so will I be cutting out the slider completely?

There is a chance it could be a wire, I took them out of an old keyboard so, maybe that wasn't the best of ideas

It's just preference basically. Post pot does give you volume control over your pro-sound. But it can also give an unstable sound. like crackling and failing channels while sliding the pot.

You could also try and clean it with some contact spray.
these pots are 20 years old, so you can expect some problems smile

Or you can just solder them to the other pins.

Sacramento, Ca

Okay sweet. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what ends up happening and if my issue is fixed
=]

Sacramento, Ca

Okay so I'm just about to change around the wiring, but before I did I went ahead and tested what I currently have on my stereo. It now seems to have the boost in volume, and general noise reduction. But now there is a little bit of another problem?!
When using lsdj, anything that I have set as a centered output (LR) is being pushed to the Left speaker, but when the output is set to either L or R it does just that, it goes to the Left or Right side. hmm....

Cleveland, OH
zneth wrote:

Okay so I'm just about to change around the wiring, but before I did I went ahead and tested what I currently have on my stereo. It now seems to have the boost in volume, and general noise reduction. But now there is a little bit of another problem?!
When using lsdj, anything that I have set as a centered output (LR) is being pushed to the Left speaker, but when the output is set to either L or R it does just that, it goes to the Left or Right side. hmm....

Check your soldering. You may have crossed your wires or there could be a drop of solder touching somewhere. Just make sure it's really clean.
A pro-sound mod will give you LOUDER volume through amplified systems such as stereos, amps, mixers or a computers mic input. Since headphones are usually not amped they will be quieter. So loud volume and clean signal through a stereo is what should happen. Just check your soldering once more and you should be okay.

Sacramento, Ca

If any, what are the pros/cons of pre-pot and post-pot?

washington
zneth wrote:

Pre-pot: louder
Post pot: Usage of volume control

Austin, Texas
basspuddle wrote:
zneth wrote:

I'll readily admit that my bias is towards pre-pot. When you connect the pro-sound pre-pot, you're skipping another part of the headphone amp circuit that colors the sound output and is failure prone.

Sacramento, Ca
Telerophon wrote:
basspuddle wrote:

I'll readily admit that my bias is towards pre-pot. When you connect the pro-sound pre-pot, you're skipping another part of the headphone amp circuit that colors the sound output and is failure prone.

Is the loudness of a  'Pre-pot' connection neccessary? Would it be safe to increase your volume outside of the gb device with out using the "color"?
And while using a 'Post-pot' connection, while recording out what would be your suggested volume of the gameboy's pot? Maxed?

United States

pre-pot or post-pot is a great question! the wrong choice could ruin your life and change the course of humanity forever.

Canada

troll.

I prefer pre-pot, as well. Adjust volume with the mixer makes things easier if you're working with a bigger setup.

Sacramento, Ca

Well what would a Boner suggest?

United States

It doesn't matter as long as it's amplified to be as loud as possible at all times.

Last edited by Boner (Nov 11, 2012 7:02 am)

Sacramento, Ca

Finally got around to finishing the mod, Its working beautiful now. I'm assuming I just had a bad wire >_<
I ended up going with a pre pot mod, Now I can finally render my tunes!

Thanks everyone!