ethos

Chicago IL, USA

just say chip (insert genre). problem solved.

buffalo, NY
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:

Technically, if you're going by the textbook definition of genre, it's a genre.

Genre = a set of shared traditions that can include style, instrumentation, and forms.

The confusion comes in because most people use "styles" and "genre" interchangeably. A style (jazz, blues, funk, punk) can be played on anything. But for something to be considered a "genre" it only needs a set of rules or traditions governing the music presentation. Since chiptune/music is governed by the rule which requires that it be played by chip hardware, or software that emulates that hardware, it would be considered a genre.

A medium is anything that communicates information from point A to point B, so chipmusic is only a medium insofar as everything else is.

Holy shit we just needed a goddamn dictionary the whole time.

Sweden

Quoting my post in that other thread where people disagree with each other

I'm not sure why you think that chipmusic isn't a genre, especially since you use rock and jazz -- two really broad and vaguely defined genres -- as examples. A genre in this case is a name for a set of identifying properties that can be used to distinguish a work from another. I can't see what makes you think it needs to be more specific than that when people have been defining genres using properties like time era, instrumentation, geographical origins, cultural and social background and political tone to define them for ages. Style and form or whatever you think is the ultimate defining point of a musical genre is really just one of many possible aspects of it, as far as I see it.

Calling chipmusic "rock" (or whatever) while avoiding the fact that it's also chipmusic is just being intentionally vague, for better or for worse. It's simply not very helpful to anyone looking to hear either chipmusic or rock music.

TSSBAY01

it doesnt matter.

these existential chiptune topics are totally tired now. what kind of stick in the mud turd cares about what they call their stuff beyond what it simply is at its base form; art, good bad for better or for worse. you make the distinction about the things you care to create and if you want to shoehorn them into a classification instead of a feeling, then you're making art under completely plastic pretenses and you will probably burn out long before you ever earn your potential for yourself.

i will say this once and only once and never say this again: conformity to difference is a personality defiance.

uhajdafdfdfa

if you insist that chiptune isnt a genre it's your own fault when rock fans dont like your NES music at their gigs (which they won't)

i think you might be trying to legitimise it by saying "it's not a genre, it's a way of making TOTALLY LEGIT rock music!! just like nirvana and the beatles!!"

if someone played me a heos song my first thought would be "what a cool chiptune" not "what a cool metal song" and so would you i think and so would everyone else

Playboy Man-Baby

Guys I want to be a teacher but I'm scared of how to say it on my resumé so nevermind

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Nov 17, 2012 9:47 am)

Italy

It can be whatever you want it to be ♥

ant1 wrote:

if you insist that chiptune isnt a genre it's your own fault when rock fans dont like your NES music at their gigs (which they won't)

i think you might be trying to legitimise it by saying "it's not a genre, it's a way of making TOTALLY LEGIT rock music!! just like nirvana and the beatles!!"

if someone played me a heos song my first thought would be "what a cool chiptune" not "what a cool metal song" and so would you i think and so would everyone else

very very rarely, it's possible for things to work the other way around, this one I first thought "what a rockin rock track", and only realized a few weeks later how synthetic it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qhudDoKMo

it's a rare thing though...

Nottingham, UK
ant1 wrote:

I'd be willing to bet if you threw in some vocals and a little bit of performance/theatrics, you could take rock oriented NES music to just about any rock/metal gig and get a decent response.

danimal cannon wrote:
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:

Technically, if you're going by the textbook definition of genre, it's a genre.

Genre = a set of shared traditions that can include style, instrumentation, and forms.

The confusion comes in because most people use "styles" and "genre" interchangeably. A style (jazz, blues, funk, punk) can be played on anything. But for something to be considered a "genre" it only needs a set of rules or traditions governing the music presentation. Since chiptune/music is governed by the rule which requires that it be played by chip hardware, or software that emulates that hardware, it would be considered a genre.

A medium is anything that communicates information from point A to point B, so chipmusic is only a medium insofar as everything else is.

Holy shit we just needed a goddamn dictionary the whole time.

I've solved the riddle of chiptune. You're welcome, everyone. *holds out hand* NOBEL PRIZE, PLEASE!!!

Last edited by NationalBroadcastNetwork (Nov 17, 2012 3:46 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Brunswick, GA USA
Faerlight wrote:

Is Faerlight a troll?

Yes.

chunter wrote:

Is chunter a troll?

Quite certainly.

Unsubscribe

Its a forum.

babylon

you may not be trolling. but your first four topics and attitude make you smell like one. im not trying to be mean just saying you may want to calm down if you want to be taken seriously. or you could post a videogame recommendation thread next.