DC

someone said we ran out of actual discussion ideas and just started messing around on the forums. I actually have a legitimate question I want to ask, since I don't know jack shit about technical things.

So let's say I listen to a chiptune and find it really awesome. As a beginner, I'll want to know how it's made, and take an actual look at the screens. Are there songs out there that I can download and then import into my EMS cart so I can see how they're made?

I don't want to steal songs or anything. I just want to dissect them and see how they're composed as a learning method.

buffalo, NY

several artists like myself include the save files with their albums.  However speaking from my own experience, it's good to poke around and figure out a few things so you actually know what you're looking at.

vancouver, canada

BAM http://lsdsng.com.   download away.

the cool thing is that as you gain more experience with LSDJ, you'll gradually wean yourself off of looking at SAV's anyway since you develop a more intimate understanding of the hardware/software limitations.  i mean, you only have so many simultaneous channels and sound types, right?  oftentimes when i hear a song it's fun to try and reverse-engineer it in my head.

DC

Thanks, Dan. I've already read up a bunch and seen a few hours worth of tutorials that you guys recommended for total novices like me, so I can at least know the very basics of the composition.

Fargo

Several people have great tutorials where they dissect a song of theirs and show you how to do certain effects.  Mr. Danimal Cannon is one of them.  Here is a great tutorial from him on Youtube.

Like he said, many artists include save files with their albums like himself, or Electric Children to name a couple.  Once you've messed around a bunch with the commands and different channels, you'll start to be able to pick out what somebody probably did just by listening.

DC

bryface you made my day.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

My album comes with both sets of sav files.

NC in the US of America

I haven't spent nearly enough time looking through Auxcide's sav files. sad

washington

I've spent way too much time looking through Auxcide's sav files.

Madison, Alabama

You'll learn a lot from this song: http://lsdsng.com/song/colour-television

My first EP came with lsdsng and .sav for all the songs:  http://archive.org/details/Pb046Roboctp … BeenErased

EDIT

Though I'd like to add that if you know the basics already, you might get more interesting results by listening to a song very, very carefully over and over and imagining how *you* might make the same sounds.  When I was starting out I got more out of trying to puzzle out how to do something, because if you work on replicating someone else's sound through trial and error, you'll learn a lot more. 

Something something it builds character, Calvin.

Last edited by roboctopus (Nov 18, 2012 2:24 am)

DC

thanks, roboctopus. I'm also keeping your tutorials at hand for when i have enough practice under my belt.

DC

I know this is off topic, but this is my discussion anyways and it's not too important as to make a new discussion. I'm making a few logos for Justin Thursday. I sent him some works in progress but he hasn't responded. I thought he was too busy at the time so I didn't take too much notice to that. The thing is, that was a long while ago, and i haven't heard a single word from him. Do you guys know if he's breathing or not?

DotMatrix wrote:

I know this is off topic, but this is my discussion anyways and it's not too important as to make a new discussion. I'm making a few logos for Justin Thursday. I sent him some works in progress but he hasn't responded. I thought he was too busy at the time so I didn't take too much notice to that. The thing is, that was a long while ago, and i haven't heard a single word from him. Do you guys know if he's breathing or not?

Just sent him your stuff again.
I recently made a deal withim about a Custom DMG. At some point i also didn't get an anwser and just send him the same e-mail again after 3 days of waiting. He then wrote back.
I guess he also just overlooked your mail. Just send it again.

robooctopus wrote:

You'll learn a lot from this song: http://lsdsng.com/song/colour-television

Made my day, just looked at this.
In fact so simple use of Instruments and Commands but still, damm...

DC

just heard back from him last night. everything's good