Dear All,

I need help with troubleshooting my Arduinoboy.  I have all the components necessary, but I can't get past the LED test.  Here's my dilemma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKMYzGjU … e=youtu.be

Questions:
     1.  Does the code start automatically when it's powered?
     2.  Could the code be out of date?
     3.  Does it look like anything is out of place?

Thanks in advance.

matt's mind

1) unless you altered the bootloader on your arduino board, then technically: there is a very very slight delay at startup, its just checking to see if you are connected to the Arduino IDE.  then the code starts right up, immediately, if you are not connected.  there are bootloaders out there with 'no wait' options which basically just take away this "wait for IDE" moment, or make it reliant on something else (like pressing a tact switch)), but unless you know you've got a unique bootloader on that atmega IC, then you've got the default arduino one.  which does wait before initiating your code, but the wait isn't enough to really have even prompted you asking the question...

2) the aboy code?  make sure you're grabbing it from its project page, and not some place that was hosting it as a back-up or something.  that would be the latest.  unless you wanted a modified version of the code, but i'm guessing not.

3) i'm not really patient enough to check the wobbly breadboard video smile  sorry...  make sure you've got 5V and Ground connected, its an easy thing to just overlook.  also, with a breadboard, make sure you're actually wiring it corresponding to the underlying traces.  i mean...  not all breadboards are laid out in the same pattern (for whatever whacky reason), i don't see any glaring mistake but its just something worth double checking.  i mean, make sure the commons aren't split somewhere you haven't realized, or whatever.  i've had that issue with using a new larger breadboard, its a very face palm thing to do.  aboy problems seems like they are face palm issues a lot of times though.

matt's mind

actually, check out your video comments.  i think someone might have spotted the problem, LEDs aren't grounded (the breadboard isn't internally connected to ground like you're expecting i think).  or your voltage.  whatever.  one of them seems lacking, circuit isn't complete.

maybe.  i dunno.  too many wires for no coffee and add tongue

Rhode Island

Take a picture of your wiring. Can't see on the video too well.

Also: http://2playermusic.tumblr.com/post/703 … arduinoboy
I have a slightly easier wiring diagram at the bottom of that post

2PLAYER wrote:

Take a picture of your wiring. Can't see on the video too well.

There's some pictures in the first thread. http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9138/arduinoboy-help/

UPDATE:  IT IS ALIVE! 

I had it set up correctly the whole time.  The only problem was that the buses are split in the center of the breadboard.  So I had to move the ground connection cable over to the left side, if that makes sense.  Kitsch, I'm assuming that's what you were talking about the commons splitting, because that's what gave me the idea to move the cable over.  Thank you so much.  Thanks everybody for your input.  Hopefully, I'll have this mother put together soon.  Cheers!  Oh and 2PLAYER, I had actually found your blog and that image before your post.  I wish I had found it WAY sooner.  Awesome job.

matt's mind

that's exactly what i was talking about, glad you got it going!