hi there, I am looking to get a small LCD display for my C64G. I've seen examples of parking monitors used, such as one I found here: http://r.ebay.com/JjLfKs They are really cheap and don't use much space. The question is, will this just plug in or are there extra cables required or anything else i'm not aware of?

thanks

Last edited by bmot (Nov 18, 2012 11:50 am)

i just found the thread I was looking for, it seems these cheap parking LCDs/headrest LCDs from Hong Kong really do work. Which is great, as they only cost £15-20.

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6895/ … r-for-c64/

If anyone has experience of these, or particular recommendations then feel free to post and share the knowledge. I am especially interested in the 4.5" size or thereabouts. Screen resolution, x/y pixel count etc?

I would like to mount it on the case somehow. I was thinking of building it into the case, which requires some butchery of the C64 case. But if I can attach it somehow without damaging the C64 this would be preferable, so any advice on this would also be useful.

Last edited by bmot (Nov 18, 2012 12:48 pm)

Unsubscribe

I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190720930288?ss … 1439.l2649

But be careful and check the resolution, otherwise the screen will autostretch the video out. I dont have a problem with this because i do offset trickets on raspberry pi, but there are a few others that people like to use:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3-5-TFT-LCD … 1e712b465f

thanks, will check it out

Praha, Czech republic

Check out this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-inch-TFT-LC … OC:US:3160
This is really just bare bones. It might be of some use, I've bought mine for a mod, because I didn't want the casing anyway and this gives me some degree of flexibility with placement.

Runs fine off of 12V, didn't do much testing yet, but seems to work nicely with the NES. I might test it with a C64C if you're interested.

kvee wrote:

I might test it with a C64C if you're interested.

yes please, that looks perfect. no annoying plastic bits round the edge, and correct resolution. can you let me know if it fills the whole screen or if there's a black border with C64? or post an image

thanks a lot for the info

EDIT: I just saw the shipping, no good for me as i'm in Germany. Shipping is not quite as "worldwide" as they say!

Shipping to: Worldwide
Excludes: Guatemala, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Guadeloupe, Sierra Leone, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Wallis and Futuna, French Guiana, Anguilla, Gambia, El Salvador, Guam, Micronesia, Dominican Republic, Mayotte, Cameroon, Guyana, Azerbaijan Republic, Suriname, Oman, Tonga, United Arab Emirates, Kenya, Argentina, New Caledonia, San Marino, Guinea-Bissau, Bhutan, Senegal, Eritrea, Togo, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Morocco, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Burundi, Iraq, Equatorial Guinea, Mauritania, Belize, Aruba, Uruguay, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Western Sahara, Congo, Republic of the, American Samoa, French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Spain, Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Bermuda, Benin, Algeria, Montserrat, Zambia, Russian Federation, Somalia, Antigua and Barbuda, Vanuatu, Swaziland, Italy, Ecuador, Albania, Ethiopia, Guernsey, Laos, Niger, Tanzania, Ukraine, Panama, Burkina Faso, Kyrgyzstan, Jersey, Venezuela, Ghana, Reunion, Djibouti, Chile, Cape Verde Islands, Martinique, Mali, Moldova, Botswana, Croatia, Republic of, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Cambodia, Madagascar, Portugal, Indonesia, Paraguay, Cayman Islands, Lebanon, Saint Helena, Rwanda, Liberia, Seychelles, Bolivia, Bangladesh, Libya, Nigeria, Lesotho, Central African Republic, Saint Lucia, Mauritius, Guinea, Jordan, Bulgaria, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Kiribati, Chad, Turkmenistan, Andorra, Greece, Grenada, Costa Rica, Haiti, Mexico, Greenland, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Africa, Netherlands Antilles, Nepal, Bahrain, Bahamas, Lithuania, Trinidad and Tobago, Dominica, Palau, Malawi, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Nicaragua, Angola, South America, Tunisia, Uganda, Brazil, Turkey, Western Samoa, Barbados, Germany, France, Tuvalu, Jamaica, Egypt, Mozambique, Namibia, Niue, Peru, Honduras, Brunei Darussalam, South Africa, Gabon Republic, Zimbabwe

Last edited by bmot (Nov 19, 2012 9:51 am)

Unsubscribe

Also check the mods for these screens, often you can run them off of 5v instead of 12v if you mod them.

Milwaukee, WI

I have used these in a c64, vic20 and a600 with decent results. Ordering two of the same screens does not guarantee you *won't* end up with two completely different boards.

Praha, Czech republic
bmot wrote:

EDIT: I just saw the shipping, no good for me as i'm in Germany. Shipping is not quite as "worldwide" as they say!

Well, that sucks. I usually run into problems with people in the US not willing to ship to Czech republic.
But sometimes, all it takes is just to ask nicely :]

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, just in case you find a way to ship the displays to you.

thanks kvee, would love to see some photos

i sent an email to the seller, I couldn't find another one like that (without the frame) on ebay. hopefully he'll say it's no problem

Praha, Czech republic

Man, I couldn't get it working
It's probably just the A/V cable for the C64 as I have a really crappy one and can't for the life of me find the good one my friend lent me.
Well, sorry about that, i will keep trying to find the cable :]] Maybe I gave it back to my friend...

As a last-ditch effort, would some pics from the NES be of use to you?

if you can't find it then don't worry but thanks for trying. not sure a pic of the nes would be much use to me. i just got a reply from the seller on ebay, who said they don't post to countries where they've got bad feedback for deliveries going missing. might be to do with customs, but I still think that's stupidly tight of them. he said he could invoice me separately if i really wanted to but i think i'd rather find a seller in germany. however, there are only 2 types of screen on german ebay at the moment, so will carry on looking

Praha, Czech republic

okay then, sorry to hear about the shipping

Czech Republic

just do your own new cable:
(from another post):
google
http://radagast.ca/C64_svideo/C64_Svideo.html
for S-video you can do cable by yourself, just need 5din plug and Cinch plug and connect Video out (PIN 4) of C64 To Cinch HOT (the middle one pin) and C64 ground (PIN 2) with Cinch ground (TIP / SHIELD...)

Sure I forgot...
you'll need to make second one for audio
Audio out (PIN 3) of C64 to another Cinch hot (the middle one) (you will need to buy 2 cinch plugs) or you can use Jack plug if you like to plug it to amp ...
and C64 ground (PIN 2) to this second Cinch plug gound (TIP / SHIELD...)

kvee wrote:

Man, I couldn't get it working
It's probably just the A/V cable for the C64 as I have a really crappy one and can't for the life of me find the good one my friend lent me.
Well, sorry about that, i will keep trying to find the cable :]] Maybe I gave it back to my friend...

As a last-ditch effort, would some pics from the NES be of use to you?