Matthew Joseph Payne

Anyone else have a problem with this? Kitch, Nonfinite and ASM all make and sell great replacement screen covers, but they never seem to quite fit right, and no matter how careful I am, they always pop up on one side or another! This has been driving me nuts for ages. Anybody have any tricks?

Things I've tried:

Adding rubber cement
Leaving it weighted overnight both before and after screen install, hoping the adhesive will set better
removing the thicker parts of the plastic in hopes that the backlight will sit lower
loosening screws

matt's mind

if you're uisng older style backlights (like our VA), the backlight panel may be a bit thick and cause the case to bulge.  the best way (imo) to fix that is just loosen the screws a little, but you've tried that it seems....

the later backlight versions basically made that bulge a non-issue.  but, the bulge problem causing the screen to pop up sounds just like what you're describing (which makes me just wonder about which version you are using).  might be good to just check and make sure the case isn't bulging still.  really....  the screens sholdn't pop up randomly unless there is a non-flat surface.  either the case, or the screen itself,

of course make sure the surface area is totally clean before application.  won't stick to dirt.

can't think of any obvious tricks to tell you.  they shouldn't be cut too large though, the screen panels are modeled from the originals and also with a case in-hand.  tight fit, yes.

i changed the adhesive on the latest batch i got, the clear ones.  if you happen to have one of those and have noticed any difference in the adhesive bond, let me know.

also, don't try super glue.  it'll eat the paint off the screen protector, or at least discolor it.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Yeah, I did try super glue once. smile

I may just not be getting all of the old adhesive off. Any tricks for that? I've taken to scraping it, hoping that the scratched then lightly sanded surface would help adhesion, maybe that doesn't make sense for a flat, double-sided tape.

matt's mind

i've always used a straight razor.  but, i also run cases through the dish washer too if i'm keeping them....  so there's that

Matthew Joseph Payne

Maybe I'll give that a shot, now that I live in a house with a dishwasher.

Boston, MA

ASM distributes their screen covers with a piece of special cut adhesive, similar to a sticker, that should perfectly fit onto the back of any replacement screen cover. If the corners are popping out, kitsch is correct, certain backlights cause the case to bulge and the screen doesn't have a flat surface to stick to... (you can see the adhesive in this photo, but I don't think theyre up for sale individually... email and ask I suppose : http://asmretro.com/diy-gear/gameboy-sc … reen-cover )

Otherwise double sided scotch tape, you can get "craft grade" or something like that.. little stronger..

EDIT: fixed the link cause whatever converted my text to a link thought the close parentheses was part of the link..

Last edited by ultramega (Nov 20, 2012 9:05 pm)

kineticturtle wrote:

ASM all make and sell great replacement screen covers, but they never seem to quite fit right, and no matter how careful I am, they always pop up on one side or another!

I just have to chime in and argue with this. I went through countless revisions to perfect the size of mine, and I can assure you that they will all fit perfectly. It's true they're a little bigger than the stock screen covers, but the cutting around the edge is cleaner to allow for this. There are some third party screen covers that won't sit properly because the dimensions are off, but I can assure you that isn't the case with ASM screen covers.

An unclean surface will cause lifting. If there's residue, then the adhesive isn't sticking to the plastic. Or if your backlight is too thick. The "1.5mm" backlights, which are falsely advertised and actually are closer to 2mm are too thick and may cause the shell's plastic to bend slightly.