Sweden

DotMatrix:
I dunno, a lot of awful chipmusic artists release music online, and some of them even get to play live! I remember when I kept up to date with the 8bc uploads. The majority of it was just really awful in every sense, and a big chunk of the rest also failed at being particularly expressive. I think the quality of chip music definitely reflects the quality of amateur music in general. Just like banging a box or any other kind of artistic expression it takes practice to be able to dignifiedly realize your musical ideas. Releasing an album to the internet or getting a gig doesn't automatically make you a master.

I think skilled artists will recognize this and avoid thinking in terms of having "mastered" anything.

Last edited by boomlinde (Nov 21, 2012 1:42 pm)

Sweden

Anyway, who cares about seriousness if the music is good? Some of my favorite downloads are just half-finished ideas that pop up as dropbox links in IRC channels (mainly thanks to #botb, ant1 and sun-sun-suwa-väja)

EDIT: that's not to say that releasing music with pomp and circumstance is a prerequisite for being "serious"

Last edited by boomlinde (Nov 21, 2012 1:50 pm)

Boston, MA
eme7h wrote:

Who fuckin' cares?

no hate for OP but the recent questions and discussions have been so incredibly weak

Playboy Man-Baby
ultramega wrote:
eme7h wrote:

Who fuckin' cares?

no hate for OP but the recent questions and discussions have been so incredibly weak

Someone needs to die, or a big-name producer needs to do lulzy shit. Or both.

Philadelphia, PA

All due respect to your friend, if there is any... Arguments like this are just silly. People make full-time livings doing things much more ridiculous than making music with old video game systems, but they're able to pull it off because they're really good at what they do and they work hard to make it happen. So isn't the obvious answer to the thread's title, "It all depends on how seriously the artist executes the product"? I agree with Nick Maynard that it's not really worth having this discussion if your friend isn't going to be a part of it, but if you want to come back at him/her with something, consider this. I played music with a "traditional" four-piece rock band for more than 10 years up until about three years ago. We had some good gigs and did some touring, but our exposure was very limited and we never really had a breakthrough moment, and we never really figured out a good way to promote ourselves beyond small shows. Conversely, since I started making music with Game Boys in 2009, I've had:

- Songs in video games
- Songs featured in online videos that have reached hundreds of thousands of people
- A song in a nationally televised commercial
- The opportunity to play a stop on the Warped Tour

Sorry if that sounds like bragging.. I really don't intend for it to come off that way. But I'm just saying, if your friend can't take those things more seriously than my old band playing a show to the sound guy and maybe two other people in the middle of nowhere, Rhode Island, just a few years ago, he's dumb.

Unsubscribe

Let me know when chip musicians are executed, seriously.

DC
boomlinde wrote:

DotMatrix:
I dunno, a lot of awful chipmusic artists release music online, and some of them even get to play live! I remember when I kept up to date with the 8bc uploads. The majority of it was just really awful in every sense, and a big chunk of the rest also failed at being particularly expressive. I think the quality of chip music definitely reflects the quality of amateur music in general. Just like banging a box or any other kind of artistic expression it takes practice to be able to dignifiedly realize your musical ideas. Releasing an album to the internet or getting a gig doesn't automatically make you a master.

I think skilled artists will recognize this and avoid thinking in terms of having "mastered" anything.

I meant artists that are really into producing sound they're proud of. I wasn't around for 8bc so I couldn't know of how shitty it was. I never said that getting gigs or releasing albums made people good at what they do. practice does that. You also have to remember I was talking about box banging in the context of IRH's friend's idea of "attention seeking hipster".
"Mastered" also isn't used as a bragging word. It's a technical term used in the arts to say "He or she is good at what he or she does" which simply means they have learned to take full advantage of the medium they're using. whether your or I like how it sounds is a completely different story.

Playboy Man-Baby
chipocrite wrote:

All due respect to your friend, if there is any... Arguments like this are just silly. I agree with Nick Maynard that it's not really worth having this discussion if your friend isn't going to be a part of it.

I wasn't looking to be a messenger or something. My friend stopped talking about it, and the concept was still in my mind, and I wanted to hear some chipfolk's food for thought on the topic. It's the reason I said, "discuss", instead of, "debate".

Lexington, KY
herr_prof wrote:

Let me know when chip musicians are executed, seriously.

I lol'd.

Matthew Joseph Payne

So someone said some shit that's factually and demonstrably incorrect, and you want to know what we think?

Playboy Man-Baby
kineticturtle wrote:

So someone said some shit that's factually and demonstrably incorrect, and you want to know what we think?

No; I wanted to know why you think what you think. I didn't post expecting, "Gee, I wonder if anyone on a website called chipmusic.org will support an inaccuracy that puts down chipmusic".

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Nov 21, 2012 6:27 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

I wonder if anyone on a website called chipmusic.org will support an inaccuracy that puts down chipmusic

yes me

it's good to be open and receptive to criticism

Philly, PA, USA

chiptune isn't even a thing, you've all been fooled, everyone can go home now

Playboy Man-Baby
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

an inaccuracy

There are different paths to the same conclusion.

Playboy Man-Baby

You heard pixls.

Unsubscribe

This thread is merely the evolution of the HOW DO I MAKE A SONG IN LSDJ thread.