Chicago IL

So I've got both a netbook and a macbook, I do most of my tracking on the netbook and the more intensive DAW stuff on the macbook. I'd love to do more tracking on the macbook, but I have no idea how you're supposed to use one, since there's only one delete button (which works the way backspace does on a PC, moving everything back one step), and no insert button. Just wanted to see if anyone had a way around this, since only being able to do backspace style deleting means you definitely need an insert key to push everything back up a step.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Nov 30, 2012 10:41 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Renoise lets you remap every keyboard shortcut. Also, doesn't fn+backspace produce a "delete" keystroke?

Canada

Ya fn+backspace will act as delete. I used to use DefleMask through wine (crossover), and this bugged the HELL out of me... until I stumbled upon the fn thing and my mind was blown.

I still track on my windows laptop, though, haha. I think until more developers begin coding their stuff for macs it's gunna be a rough road (that's if you're faithful to one or two in particular which aren't ported).

Renoise is awesome.

Joliette, QC, Canada
Jansaw wrote:

Ya fn+backspace will act as delete. I used to use DefleMask through wine (crossover), and this bugged the HELL out of me... until I stumbled upon the fn thing and my mind was blown.

I still track on my windows laptop, though, haha. I think until more developers begin coding their stuff for macs it's gunna be a rough road (that's if you're faithful to one or two in particular which aren't ported).

Renoise is awesome.

oooh goddamn fn+backspace...now I remember why I totally hate using Milkytracker on my macbook !
you can plug a usb keyboard so you will have delete and insert if I remember well !

Last edited by XyNo (Nov 29, 2012 10:51 pm)

Chicago IL

oh awesome! still looking for an insert key though. some sites said that fn+return = insert, but it just uses it as enter.

uhajdafdfdfa

i have heard that the mac uses all the f1 to f12 keys for OS stuff

which makes both milkytracker and schism not useful i think

renoise is probably your best bet .. and since the default keymap is so broken even on windows that you have to write your own anyway you don't lose anything doing it on mac.

i bet some people have figured out how to work schism on mac but i am not one of them

edit: i read a forum it said "The help key on a Mac keyboard is actually the same key as the insert key on a PC keyboard." other forum say fn-m with numlock off or 0 on the numpad with numlock off (does a laptop have a numpad or numlock i dunno

Last edited by ant1 (Nov 30, 2012 12:23 am)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

I'm trying and trying to build DefleMask for Mac OS X, but xCode don't want to be installed on my VM, I get an error and it ask me to contact the manufacturer on the installer. Piece of shit. :S

Chicago IL
ant1 wrote:

i have heard that the mac uses all the f1 to f12 keys for OS stuff

you can turn that off, which i do cause i never use any of that stuff anyways

ant1 wrote:

edit: i read a forum it said "The help key on a Mac keyboard is actually the same key as the insert key on a PC keyboard." other forum say fn-m with numlock off or 0 on the numpad with numlock off (does a laptop have a numpad or numlock i dunno

yeah, the laptop has a number pad in the middle of the keyboard, that only works when the numlock / fn buttons are used. it doesn't do anything in renoise, in milky it opens up a "select instrument" window.

i didn't even know macs had a help button, which the little short cuts thing in system preferences says is command-shift-/ (which doesn't seem to do anything but highlight the help menu).

Los Angeles

Think what I did for renoise is have ctrl+del = insert and shift+del = remove ... Not exactly sure, but it seems logical.

Holland

fn - backspace is delete on OSX.

Chicago IL

yeah that was the first reply

Milwaukee, WI

fn - backspace is delete on OSX.

Slovakia / European Union

Renoise, Milkytracker, Chibitracker, Sunvox, Psycle, LittleGPTracker, ProTrekkr, Goattracker, Frinka,  PlayerPro Composer, SoundTracker ;-)

Bratislava, Slovakia

I turned off all keyboard shortcuts, dashboard, active borders etc., i do not use F keys. smile

BTW checked feature Use all F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys dont solve problems with trackers?

Last edited by martin_demsky (Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am)

Sweden

I've been tracking a bit on an OSX laptop for the past three weeks, I never figured out how to do insert, but I was too lazy to look it up since I can use copy/paste anyway. Don't forget HivelyTracker. Yeah, there's a HVL for both WONDOWS and MOC OSX now.

Bratislava, Slovakia

Wow i liked AHX (formerly THX) tracker on Amiga, this is great! Insert works as shift+enter.