London

Hi guys. Sorry, very basic question sad

I've just started looking into getting an Atari ST and I was wondering what the main differences between models are.
At the moment it looks like I could get my hands on an 520 STfm from Ebay, but everyone seems to use STE's.
Is that just because STE's are better, are they significantly better to make it worth me waiting and trying to find one?

Thanks smile

Unsubscribe

Check out the manual:
http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymiser/man_v129.txt

It explains what is some of the bonus stuff you can do with the DMA on a STe, Mega STe, TT or Falcon.

London

Awesome, thank you smile I'll give that a read

Slovakia / European Union

520STE or 1040STE or MegaSTE got better sound codec PCM. Sounds like AMIGA 500 or AMIGA 600.
So you can make MODs. Or mixed modules samples plus 3 channel PSG YM.

PCM - It has the ability to play back 8-bit (signed) samples using the SDMA at the following frequencies: 6258 Hz, 12517 Hz, 25033 Hz and 50066 Hz—sampling frequencies above audio CDs, although, the resolution was still only 8 bit. The channels are arranged as either a mono track or a track of LRLRLRLR... bytes.

Plus on 1040STFM you got 512 colors palette. On STE 4096 colors. So STE games looks perfect as on AMIGA or PC...

The Rubber Man

Tinctu:
How many more channels maxYMizer gives on STe?
On ST it has 3 of course, but on STe it has 5, if I recall? (3 for chiptune sound and 2 for digital sound)?
Surely 505 http://www.creamhq.de/ymrockerz could help here too.

Anywayz.
As for fully digital music, the STe goes with 8 channels ("Octalyzer" program) that later You can record with 50kHz great quality via a special player (STfm can go with 8 channels too - HEX-Tracker - but with audibly lower quality).

For making chiptunes, it would be enough to have some ST (520 or 1040) but minimum would be 1Mb in both cases.
For digital music, however ST fights well http://ym-digital.i-demo.pl/ , STe model will be better for a musician. Ah - and in this case 4Mb would be most desirable.

Last edited by YERZMYEY (Dec 5, 2012 10:57 am)

I have MegaST with 4MB ram... smile

@YERZMYEY>

Of course you are right...

"Depending on memory and CPU constraints, a maxYMiser song can use
between 3 and 5 channels of audio. The first three are “YM channels”,
representing the three hardware channels of the YM2149 soundchip. The
last two are “sample channels”.
Sample channels use the STe DMA to play back samples (and thus won’t
make any sound on the ST, STF or STFM models)." Maxymiser, A musician´s guide

http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymise … by_xia.pdf

@3SS>

Buy 1040STE they have normal oldschool PC SIMMs... So you can easily upgrade...
Plus 1040stfm costs 40euros and STEs 60euros so thats small difference for 50khz PCM, 4096colors bonus...

London

Thanks guys smile I should do a lot more research before I dive into this haha

@Tinctu
Where would you recommend getting one, I've just been looking on gumtree/ebay etc

ebay is best one

London

I would say gumtree in the UK.. or ebay.de has loads.

For the chipmusician STe gives an extra chip for DMA sample playback, RCA outputs and also bass/treble adjustment. Its also very easy to upgrade the memory of an STe.

But if you see a really cheap non-E then go for it. Thanks to lobbying by Canadians and Americans maxYMiser will run on a 520.

I see you are based in London like myself, get in touch if you need additional pointers

London

Thanks smile The STfm I was looking at on ebay ended pretty cheaply so I'll keep an eye out for 1040s and see how that goes. thanks very much smile
@gwEm Awesome cheers, I've just moved up for uni. I havent found any chip events yet though sad haha

London
Tinctu wrote:

520STE or 1040STE or MegaSTE got better sound codec PCM. Sounds like AMIGA 500 or AMIGA 600.

Just noticed this.. The DMA sample chip in the STe is still not as good as the one in Amiga sadly. But, yes, its a big improvement.

Holland

Who needs more than 3 channels anyway? ;-)

Joliette, QC, Canada
xylo wrote:

Who needs more than 3 channels anyway? ;-)

Guys that are working with Nintendo's soundchips ! wink

Germany

Yerzymey and gwEm put it well. STE is optimum and leaves no room for problems: you can upgrade RAM cheaply, have audio & TV out and you can use up to 3xYM + 2xDMA channels as said before. If you are interested in sample-based tracking (like Protracker or Octalyser modules) STE is strongly recommended. Though, you can do that also on normal STF, e.g. Digicomposer and specially Protracker ST are pretty powerful - the only difference to STE is the sound quality.

Alternatively, if you want to stay low cost and go for pure Atari YM-chipmusic only, a pure STF model is a good choice. Several trackers like Insignia/Trisound, MusicMon and maxYMiser support digidrums (aka samples in the nonatari world;) within the 3 channels.

For STF, you will need a monitor connector though if you want to use color screen. In EU, SCART-Adaptors are common. If you have the chance to get a STFM you should prefer that, as it has TV-modulator inclusive and costs as little as STF usually.

Speaking of the models, I realised that most STF models tend to yellow quite a bit, while the newer STFM is staying in bright shape (the eye tracks before the ear!). Might be due to different plastic factories in different years. So much to my theory about this wink

Yerzymey: Did you take a look at DBE-Tracker from Sector One? It is pretty amazing on STE, software mixing up to 32 voices if I remember correctly - you can guess the replay quality though. Anyway, impressive replayer. Also good for checking som PC formats like basic S3M/XMs on STE.

The Rubber Man
505 wrote:

Yerzymey: Did you take a look at DBE-Tracker from Sector One? It is pretty amazing on STE, software mixing up to 32 voices if I remember correctly - you can guess the replay quality though. Anyway, impressive replayer. Also good for checking som PC formats like basic S3M/XMs on STE.

Well, I was very interested in this engine but somehow I don't know how to use it. I mean, there is some strange bug-like feature. When I load samples and try to use more channels (8 for instance), the sound is very painful/grainy, exactly like from 1-bit generators ( http://parishq.net/proposed/sound/miste … _world.mp3 ). it sounds like this track from ZX Spectrum 48.
But what took my attention is, that when I load on DBE my 8ch modules from Octalyser - the music plays correctly, just like on Octalyser! Now that's strange!
I was trying to find any 'switch' in options, that might be responsible for audibly different way of the channels' software-mixing but... Nothing. I can't find anything.
The phenomenon appears even on Falcon 030 (even more strange then).
I regret because making something like 16ch song for a regular STe would be coooooooooooooool.
Best wishes,
Y

Germany

I see.. hmm, the only option I know is the +/- button below number of channels section on the right. Maybe that makes a difference? The only thing that prevented me from using DBE for more experiments was the fact, that it can only save in DBT-format in this demo. Nonetheless, only the possibility to replay all those formats (even DTM and GTK Falcon formats) rocks, never thought this is technically possible.