Slovakia / European Union

My was Atari 800 XE when I was 5 years old (1985).
I learned Basic, Logo and play all that classic games (games was loaded from tape not from floppy disk)... Leter on basic school (in 90s) I´ve recorded Atari music from games (Zybex, Draconus, BMX simulator, Ninja, Warhawkl) to tape from TV. So I have made "gamemusic/chipmusic" mixtapes for listening on sister´s walkman.

Here is Atari 800 XE picture:

Tape drive XC12:

My fav music...
Zybex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_geyCilmFk
Draconus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbeeMAJaA1g
BMX simulator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mC2fxACLGk
Ninja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRJf2PAIPY
Warhawk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae_jD8yF0J4

Ahh Atari C012294 aka POKEY is most underratted soundchip in whole history of mankind!!!

And first PC I was ever using was in 1994, it was Dad´s 386DX/40 with 4mb ram and SBPro clone, SVGA Trident, 5"25 and 3"5 fdd, huge huge 40MB HDD...

What are your very first memories, reminiscence? I like to know...

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 10, 2012 10:52 pm)

Unsubscribe

Atari 2600 xmas of 1985
Dumpsterscore 286 pc in 1993.

uhajdafdfdfa

my first computer was a windows 95 pc and then later i got a windows 98 pc which i used until 2008 and then i got a laptop and after that laptop broke i got a desktop and now i have been given another laptop

i got a GBC when it came out
i got a gamecube a year or so after that came out as well
i did once have a snes but i never even turned it on

i have never been much of a Gamer

England

Acorn Electron (cut down BBC Micro).

I loved this computer, and this was my introduction to computing. They were sneered at by the Spectrum users in the playground, but were a good deal more versatile.

Later on I got a BBC Micro. Now that was fun. I dread to think how many hours I spent on Elite. Then I discovered this:

That started me off on electronic and computer-based music, aged 10 in 1984. I've never looked back, have made a career out of music, and am more thankful than I can ever express that I found all this stuff.

Last edited by InactiveX (Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm)

Acorn Looks like cute computer! With very well designed enclosure and keyboard.

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 10, 2012 10:44 pm)

IL, US

good old c64, in late 1982-early 1983...so ive been playing games and fucking with basic a little since i was abut 3...
@Tinctu: logo was fun stuff, i remember taking a class on logo programming when i was 12 and having a blast... way better than that stupid class i had in hypercard

Freiburg, Germany

First (and for a long time only) console was a grey Game Boy, probably around 1991
First Computer was a 386 with 4MB RAM, 80MB of HDD and 16 MHz with 33 MHz turbo button, around 1993. A few years later it got a Creative Sound Blaster with spectacular mono sound. That's when I started tracking in Fast Tracker.

Yes Logo was super cool. It helped me understand AutoCAD on college :-) more quickly than my almost all of my classmates.

Another Atari 8bit music collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a2WOYkE1Fw

You had 80MB? We had 40MB´s smile. I started in ScreamTracker2 and latter in FastTracker2 (it was on 3"5 disk from video game magazine as freeware). I use FT2 (for fast XM music ideas sketches) today plus Renoise big_smile (for VSTi and mastering etc etc).

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 10, 2012 11:00 pm)

vancouver, canada

my parents got me a second-hand C64 when i was 8 - it came with a box of about 60 games.  about a quarter of the time i'd use it to code dinky text-based programs in BASIC:

10 PRINT "WHAT IS YOUR NAME";:INPUT A$
20 IF A$="BRY" THEN 40
30 IF A$<>"BRY" THEN 50
40 PRINT "UR KEWL"
50 PRINT " U R GAY"
60 GOTO 10

my parents sold it off about a year before i learned of the C64's demoscene pedigree though.  BIGGEST MISTAKE of their life.

Last edited by bryface (Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm)

England
Tinctu wrote:

Acorn Looks like cute computer! With very well designed enclosure and keyboard.

They were very cute! The keyboard was great, and it had a really nice BASIC (BBC BASIC).

As they were essentially cut down BBC Micros, there were several expansion boxes you could get from Acorn and 3rd parties. They tended to make your computer look really overdone, in a way that I've always found rather pleasing!

Greyboy
Poor 90's kid.

@Bryface - Haha Basic rules!!!

I always wanted to have C64 games on ATARI 800 (C64 super cool games like Creatures, Turrican, Lotus, Double Dragon etc etc)...  We had Space Invaders and Centipedes and you´ve got Last Ninjas and Great Gianna Sisters... Ahh.

@InactiveX - Wow. Looks like boxed PC cards architecture. Nice concept. We had very very limited HW expansions capabilities through cartridge and expansion port on Atari XE... But we had SIO connector.
It is like USB (same scientist/developer is behind both ports). SIO was better than USB. Because you was able to put into SIO port FDD and into that FDD tablet for drawing. So basically on lot of interfaces we had SIO hub.

"These computers had a large assortment of "Intelligent" peripherals which communicated through a custom bus called the "SIO" (Serial I/O) which compared to today standards is a rather simplistic version of the USB (Universal Serial Bus).   In fact the USB and the Atari SIO have a lot more in common then many would think.   One of Atari's original computer engineers, Joe Decuir who created the Atari SIO bus is also one of the team of engineers at Microsoft to help design and holds patents on the USB."

So withouth ATARI XE there will be no USB today big_smile. Haha.

Here is prehistoric USB:

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm)

matt's mind

i too took a class in logo, although in 1st grade.  it wasn't presented as programming at all.  and was hella fun.

in fact i just bought logo for atari 8bit computer and have been having lots of fun with that smile  its maybe my favorite digital waste of time ever

Haah I maybe will use ATARI LOGO for my CD cover (I think I have cartridge somewhere)... I will add math and it will looks like low-res generative art smile.
Maybe I will start LOGO topic in "Graphics, Artwork & Design".

Last edited by Tinctu (Dec 10, 2012 11:22 pm)

My first computer was an old yellowed box-monitor. Windows 98 I believe, I used it when I was in 1-3rd grade. I used to think I was a badass for knowing how to change all the settings and stuff XD

Joliette, QC, Canada

My first console was a good old NES when I was around 2 years old !
...but my first computer was a shitty PC286 with a green monochrome screen...was playing Nibbles and Gorilla on QBasic (the only games it got in this comp tongue) oh and I forgot, this computer was totally infected by the Michelangelo virus hahahaha