Brazil

First rule to LGPT users: being cool.
If you can't, just drop the piggy. Seriously.

Also, I use milkytracker to convert my deci to hex.

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil

Dude, srsly ... don't even start the drama. You can't come to a piggy thread and diss one of the most proeminents piggy artists just because you receive a hard answer or wtvr. You should respect the one's like herr_prof and what they've done to this comunity.

Also, the soundfont tutorial he made was probably a favour for marc (who develops lgpt in case you don't know), since herr is one of the top contributors for the lgpt development.

edit: better not

Last edited by vargero (Feb 14, 2013 12:36 pm)

Unsubscribe

Ehhnn whatever, I probably shouldnt have even responded to the attack in the first place, lets just try to focus and keep the thread on topic.

Wow, LGPT DRAMA. It's definitely a chiptune tool now.

So to state my point of view:

1- I will not favour decimal over hex. This is not because I want to make it harder for people to use it nor because it's a tracker but simply a question of screen estate. 255 values needs 2 digit in Hex representation and 3 in decimal, so I'll favor clarity and consitency.

2- If there *is* a consistent way of marking loop points in wave files, I'm completely open to implement reading them. AFAIK not many software provide the possibility to store them (Cool edit does I think) but if there's a library format that is generally followed that could be useful. I propose to send me one sample of your emu lib so I can see if it is a hack or not and if it's not, I'll go for it.

TIE
/M

Unsubscribe

Would it be possible to just embrace #2 as soundfont for external file format? It seems like since we are halfway there, and there are already tons of tools for working in this format it makes sense. The dream piggy feature list (in order of crazynesss) would be:
1. import via the browser
2.  Be able to select individual soundfont instruments for importing ( I see it as just another directory level with the first option being ALL and then the list of individual instruments just like browsing a folder).
3. Save piggy instruments as soundfonts for sharing

edit: swapped the last two on second thought.

Last edited by herr_prof (Feb 14, 2013 4:37 pm)

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil
herr_prof wrote:

Would it be possible to just embrace #2 as soundfont for external file format?[...]
2. Save piggy instruments as soundfonts for sharing[...]

I guess this (or a version of this) is the most wanted feature for most of piggy users. But maybe we don't need to use soundfont as output format, for sake of not losing the tables and stuff.

San Francisco

I dont know if i posted this in another thread or something but i didnt see it here sooooo....... Volume meter on the right or left side of the song screen. It would be nice to know how close to clipping i am and it would be a good/simple (i am guessing) visual feedback in general for mixing live and while writing.

a way to see the wave files and looping points might be cool to but you guys might throw that under the "lazy" category. I got to say tho... working with other trackers like fast tracker and such, it does work wonders for me and speeds up the editing process with my instruments.

NY

ping pong loop.

San Francisco
rhinoid wrote:

ping pong loop.

glad someone else is behind this idea too.

Unsubscribe

can anyone explain to me why ping pong is desirable? Im just curious.

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:

I *think* ping pong prevents clicks when your endpoints aren't zero crossings... that's all I can think of.

San Francisco
herr_prof wrote:

well for one it is a good way of avoiding clicks in your looping while keep the same timber and no outside sample editting. It also extends your loops for longer looping sections giving a little more animation to the sample playback and more realism to your sounds. good option for drums to have a hit and then a backwards sweep. even lfo volume/tonal shapes to the samples.

Its a pretty simple addition and just an easy quick tool in your arsenal. dont know why you guys are so against it. Its seen in a lot of other trackers like fast tracker, milky tracker, renoise, nitrotracker, etc. if your using sample synthesis why not have all the playback options? its not even really changing the fun limitations of the software all that much.

just saying... its a quick easy and powerfull tool that sample synthesis utilizes and might be cool to have in piggy.

San Francisco

forgot to mention even smooth tones can be made out of longe samples making basically a more sophisticated oscillation cycle. synthesis synthesis synthesis. you take your tools and get creative you shape you sounds in new creative ways.

Unsubscribe

Hey, I didnt say i was against, just that I didnt understand what was its purpose. When I think of reverse samples and ping pong Im thinking just cheesy backwards drums and bask masked vocal.. so Ill have to give it a try somewhere for the timbral effects..

Tokyo, Japan
herr_prof wrote:

Also better PWM

San Francisco
herr_prof wrote:

Hey, I didnt say i was against, just that I didnt understand what was its purpose. When I think of reverse samples and ping pong Im thinking just cheesy backwards drums and bask masked vocal.. so Ill have to give it a try somewhere for the timbral effects..

lol i didn't mean to sound like a dick.

I just see a lot of ideas get shot down in these threads purely based on speculation when in the truth its marc's say that dictates what goes in his software and not really its senior users. We can only toss around ideas for him but. a lot of the time I just end up reading "marc wont do that" or "thats dumb" kind of replies and it bugs me. i guess i got a little defensive for no reason because i was reading through some of these pages and I dont come here as often so my old hardened internet experienced self has gone a bit soft.

The idea of a "lazy" user for convenient but already implemented ideas boggles my mind a bit too. Just because your can already do it with your software doesn't mean you cant improve on it to make it simpler and easier and more efficient with the time and effort the user puts in. actually that sounds like exactly what you would be focussed on when improving a tool.

*sigh* and that is my bit of thoughts that i get coming to these piggy tracker fantasy threads.