Buffalo

SNES tracker would be really awesome..

rochester, ny
nitro2k01 wrote:

It would be a siightly difficult project because of the complexity and lack of development tools, at least if you want custom sounds. I would have to learn at least the basics of two new CPUs/platforms (The SNES's main CPU and the SPC) and make the code work together. Right now I'm spoiled with being able to debug GB ROMs easily in BGB.
Actually, it appears the SGB has some functionality that simplifies doing something like this, so you don't have to build it completely fom scatch but it's still not trivial or easy. I might try it at some point.

is this a negotiation tactic to get more money out of me?

if so, it's working.

Matthew Joseph Payne
nickmaynard wrote:

is this a negotiation tactic to get more money out of me?

if so, it's working.

rochester, ny

a super gameboy tracker could have 4 outputs too since both units are stereo.

Matthew Joseph Payne

jeez, I hadn't even thought of that!

Psydney, Australia

You could port Cat Astro Phi to gb smile
http://www.photonstorm.com/games/cat-astro-phi

Hey everyone, long time lurker here.

Just want to say I created an account to ask about a SGB audio program after reading your blog posts. Someone beat me too this, but i am also willing to contribute monies to some SGB audio funtime. Also I'm looking forward to upgrade my ems to lsdj 4.7 this weekend, thank you for your wav wizardry.

Sweeeeeeden
iLKke wrote:

You could port Cat Astro Phi to gb smile
http://www.photonstorm.com/games/cat-astro-phi

You know what. That's a legit idea. The game keeps pretty much within what the GB hardware can do.

West Yorks, UK

what about, a midi controllable rom which operates a bit like PR8 in that each voice is not tied to a particular channel, and can use any amount of the availible channels, using a voice stealing feature if voices that use the same channels are triggered at the same time.
each midi channel = a unique "voice"  with a basic patch editing screen with parameters and which channels are associated with it.

no sequencer required, if its something you might consider working on il happily contribute monies.

it would be like mgb on super crack, essentially

Sweeeeeeden

Hmm. You can't get the wave channel to sound EXACTLY like one of the pulse channels. What about CH1 and CH2 share a MIDI channel, and CH3 has it's own MIDI channel, or alternatively a key split, for use with a keyboard.

West Yorks, UK

I dont get why you'd have to make the WAV channel sound exactly like one of the pulse channels?

I imagined having more than 4 midi channels equating to different "patches" which could use any of the 4 channels (except if another midi channel is using some of the gameboy channels at the same moment, wherby the relevant gameboy channels are stolen from the other playing midi channel)

too much use of the word channel! sorry if you dont understand.

your idea sounds good, but very similar to mGB, which you could make work like that by rerouting midi notes from one midi channel to the appropriate midi channels used by mGB (1-4), unless im missing something. thanks for the quick response!

Milwaukee, WI

It might be a fun project to just see how close you can get the WAV to mimick the pulse channels.  LSDJ hardwired for 3 pulses. haha

Playboy Man-Baby
Domu wrote:

I dont get why you'd have to make the WAV channel sound exactly like one of the pulse channels?

I imagined having more than 4 midi channels equating to different "patches" which could use any of the 4 channels (except if another midi channel is using some of the gameboy channels at the same moment, wherby the relevant gameboy channels are stolen from the other playing midi channel)

too much use of the word channel! sorry if you dont understand.

your idea sounds good, but very similar to mGB, which you could make work like that by rerouting midi notes from one midi channel to the appropriate midi channels used by mGB (1-4), unless im missing something. thanks for the quick response!

Are you referring to the way, for example, the C64 has 3 channels of sound but they can independently act as noise channels, pulse channels, etc. etc.?

West Yorks, UK

No not quite. im talking more about software voices that can call upon any of the hardware channels (in gb case pu1, pu2, wave/user defined waveform and noise.) rather than only one.

Maybe it is similar if each of the 3 c64 channels can be a square, noise etc and are not hardwired channel 1: pulse, channel 2: tri, ch3:noise.
If that is the way it works, the difference is, each of those c64 voices can only trigger one of the sound channels at once, and not all of them together.

PR8 for the nes has voices that use up to four of the availible channels, in the format of a step sequencer.
you assign the channels you want to use for a particular voice, along with parameters such as the pitch, vol, pan etc.  Ie;

So, in one step sequencer track (a single trigger in fact), it can trigger the hw channels; pulses, tri, dpcm and noise  together, if they are all associated with that voice. (Contrast this with nanoloop, where any sequencer track can only access its associated gameboy sound channel (r,l,s,n being tied to pulse1, pulse 2, wav, noise)

Its quite possible to have triggers for two or more voices that use the same channels simultaneously, and in that case the voice furthest down or up the step seq gets priority for the channels that are trying to be accessed by more than one voice.

All i am imagining, is the same thing with the gameboy, except cutting out the step sequencer and controlling it via midi.

It would require a parameter that lets you set a priority level to the voices, one to set them a midi channel, one that lets you link any number of the hardware channels, and then whatever params such as root note/ pitch, volume, etc etc for each of the associated hardware channels in that voice.

Dya follow? )

*and making the wav channel sound exactly like pulse channels is totally unrequired! wink

Last edited by Domu (Apr 25, 2013 8:39 am)

Solar System

Tracker (COMPOSING mode) + Player (DJ mode)

NC in the US of America
Domu wrote:

No not quite. im talking more about software voices that can call upon any of the hardware channels (in gb case pu1, pu2, wave/user defined waveform and noise.) rather than only one.

Maybe it is similar if each of the 3 c64 channels can be a square, noise etc and are not hardwired channel 1: pulse, channel 2: tri, ch3:noise.
If that is the way it works, the difference is, each of those c64 voices can only trigger one of the sound channels at once, and not all of them together.

PR8 for the nes has voices that use up to four of the availible channels, in the format of a step sequencer.
you assign the channels you want to use for a particular voice, along with parameters such as the pitch, vol, pan etc.  Ie;

So, in one step sequencer track (a single trigger in fact), it can trigger the hw channels; pulses, tri, dpcm and noise  together, if they are all associated with that voice. (Contrast this with nanoloop, where any sequencer track can only access its associated gameboy sound channel (r,l,s,n being tied to pulse1, pulse 2, wav, noise)

Its quite possible to have triggers for two or more voices that use the same channels simultaneously, and in that case the voice furthest down or up the step seq gets priority for the channels that are trying to be accessed by more than one voice.

All i am imagining, is the same thing with the gameboy, except cutting out the step sequencer and controlling it via midi.

It would require a parameter that lets you set a priority level to the voices, one to set them a midi channel, one that lets you link any number of the hardware channels, and then whatever params such as root note/ pitch, volume, etc etc for each of the associated hardware channels in that voice.

Dya follow? )

*and making the wav channel sound exactly like pulse channels is totally unrequired! wink

So, kind of like one object being able to call actions in all other objects? I've often wished for this in LSDJ, to be able to control the noise channel through a pulse channel, and vice versa, etc etc.

wav channel sounding exactly like pulse channels for 3 part harmony?