ad-hell-aide

A few more ideas (once again, they've probably been mentioned):
* An image editor on the Game Boy itself that allows you to modify the Ninendo startup logo
* An emulator on the Game Boy for some other sound chip
* Changing the startup octave Cs (is it a C?) to something else somehow
* Different types of synthesis via sample-by-sample calculation (this could easily fill a number of weeks)
* Multi-channel sample playback
* Linking multi-channel sample playback to reach a greater bit depth than 4 bits for sample playback
* Is the Game Boy able to somehow re-sample itself? Is that a thing?
* If you can use an external ADC / DAC, using the Game Boy RAM for a delay effect
* If you can use an external ADC / DAC, using the Game Boy RAM for a loop recorder
* Both of the above, but changing tile data based on buffer contents (i.e. have a tile map of all the same tile, and then edit the tile data for that one tile based on the contents of the RAM buffer somehow)
* LSDJ-like interface for GenMDM
* LSDJ-like interface for SMSM
* Sending the PAPU output to somewhere else in the GameBoy for post-processing somehow (?)
* Have the GameBoy generate sound and then set it on fire record the results.
* The above but with freezing

ad-hell-aide

* Game of Life ROM

ad-hell-aide

* Customisable cellular automata with visual and sound output

Sweeeeeeden

Oops. Yes, ADC.
No, no limits on components per se. I still have to get back to YM2413 project for example...
But it's just that the idea "doesn't come naturally" or something like that. My personal vision is to do "neat exploits" when possible. To find some interesting aspect of the hardware and follow it to its logical conclusion and abuse that feature. That said, I'm not ruling out the idea.

Buffalo

As a amateur chip musician and accordionist, I have a small project that if you did, I would forever be thankful. I want to make an 8bit accordion using 2 PS2 keyboards and two gameboys. It is already  possible to replicate the right hand of an accordion with a PS2 keyboard and lsdj, because the right hand is just a regular clavier keyboard. However, the left hand has a unique set up based around the circle of fifths that you could create a rom for. With my knowledge of lsdj and the gameboys sound chip, i know how you could set this up with a PS2 keyboard, but i don't really know much about programming to make a rom or anything.

I am going to quickly explain how it would work. The top two lines of the keyboard (numbers and QWERTY) would trigger base notes, which could come out of the wav channel. The bottom two lines of the keyboard (ASDFGH and ZXCVBN) would trigger arpeggiating chords. The ASDFGH line triggers major arpeggiating lines and the ZXCVBN would trigger minor arpeggiating lines. My thought is that the ASDFGH line and ZXCVBN line would both be produced with their own pulse channel. This follows the set up for the majority of modern accordions.

If you have any interest in my idea, please let me know because I have thought about this idea way to much and have some additional ideas, and would also be very grateful.

Notes under C2

Sweeeeeeden

SBthree: Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Matthew Joseph Payne
SBthree wrote:

As a amateur chip musician and accordionist, I have a small project that if you did, I would forever be thankful. I want to make an 8bit accordion using 2 PS2 keyboards and two gameboys.

I seriously considered building something like this once, and I have a lot of thoughts to share if you want them! I'd be really interested in building one myself if this came to fruition!

sweden

sample playback through the link port

Puerto Rico
little-scale wrote:

* Game of Life ROM

How had this not been suggested before?

-----

Pulse channel speech synhesis, moe moe kyunstep style. It can probably already be done by creatively pitch bending with lsdj, but it would be much easier and useful (and fun I guess. "Hey guys, look at my talking gameboy!") to have a dedicated ROM for it.

Last edited by Xuriik (Jan 16, 2013 8:42 am)

I'm not really sure if this counts, but it would be cool if there was a way to put gameboy songs into MIDITrail.

Hmm, maybe it is already possible.

Chicago IL

Don't feel like looking up to see if someone mentioned it, and this isn't specifically for the gameboy hardware, but a .lsdsng to MML converter that wasn't a complete mystery like the one johan put up years ago would be awesome.

I was also thinking it would be great if there was a way to play/compile .lsdsngs in a rom in a way that didn't use all the CPU to play, with some live mode functionality (tempo control / channel mute + solo, etc)

Milwaukee, WI

I think what a lot of people are hinting at is like STj for lsdsngs.

Jotie wrote:

Notes under C2

That's easy, just underclock it.

the original hardware would give you some troubles with lower notes i guess...

Trento, Italy

Hi nitro,
I will be very pleased (and the community too I think) if it would be possible to send midiout from lsdj through the nl usb-midi connector.
there is a custum lsdj version that already send midi out so I think is necessary only to program the PC side.
thank you very much for your great work!

Czech republic
Timbob wrote:
Jotie wrote:

Notes under C2

That's easy, just underclock it.

Not if you only half-clock it. In that case you get C2 as the lowest note, nothing under that.

I'm not sure if you can get 1,048576 MHz crystal...